Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do if my psychiatrist sleeps on the job?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Pilar Beckner I am NOT qualified to comment on your specific issues since I am not a qualified professional.......and neither are the members of this Forum. However, I am the father of a Doctor of Clinical Psychology (PsyD) and her partner is a Doctor of Psychiatry (MD). The difference between the two is that a Psychologist counsels a client on resources, strategies, self-assessment and self-help to address their issues. Psychologists are not licensed to dispense medications but may recommend psychiatric assessment depending on the issues. Psychiatrists treat severe psychological disorders with medications and a minimum of counseling. Both provide critical services in different situations but anxiety is often treated better through counseling than medications. Psychiatrists often treat the symptoms whereas Psychologists treat the cause.

The fact that you have enough cognition to come to an unrelated Forum to request help possibly means that your issues are not so severe that they might be addressed better through psychological counseling rather than psychiatric medications. Your statement, "my family put me into therapy with her as my doctor" is a big red flag. Psychologists are specifically trained and educated to treat the causes of anxiety and help their clients address the root cause of their anxiety rather than a psychiatrist.

Regardless, to answer your question, you need to leave this psychiatrist who sleeps on the job. Good luck to you and be positive, there are solutions to your issues and there are many clients go on to leave fruitful and happy lives after therapy.

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
@Pilar Beckner I am NOT qualified to comment on your specific issues since I am not a qualified professional.......and neither are the members of this Forum...
Maybe. Some of us here actually are qualified professionals, though none of us know his particular circumstances, diagnosis or needs.

The fact that you have enough cognition to come to an unrelated Forum to request help possibly means that your issues are not so severe that they might be addressed better through psychological counseling rather than psychiatric medications.
Of this, I am certain that none here are qualified to make that determination.

Regardless, to answer your question, you need to leave this psychiatrist who sleeps on the job.
Agreed. As a physician who has been responsible for oversight of physician quality and performance, as well as having sat on a medical well-being committee, I can say that a health professional that falls asleep during a session is cause for concern. Now, it could have been a one-time incident due to a late night emergency with another patient. In which case, there is less cause for concern (except for the OP here has otherwise expressed a lack of confidence for other reasons). If the professional fell asleep on more than one occasion, that is a very serious red-flag that needs to be investigated, no matter if the professional is a prescribing MD or counseling PhD.

@4SUPER9 thank you for your comments and I agree in general. I wanted to state up front that I am not a medical professional and I used words like "may", "might", "possibly", etc. in my suggestions. It is not ethically responsible for even a trained professional to address the complex issues of anxiety of a specific client over the Internet. I do take issue with both professional and non-professional posters on this thread suggesting that the therapist is falling asleep because the OP is "boring," This is not funny, it is not helpful, and in fact is a form of "blaming the victim."

A significant issue is "so my family put me in therapy, with her as my doctor." This statement is very revealing, even to a non-professional like myself. Everyone suffers from a form of anxiety from time to time. It is normal and in some conditions MAY even be helpful. It is when that anxiety prevents us from leading a relatively happy and productive normal life that it becomes an issue. My daughter tells me that she occasionally has sessions with physicians who suffer from anxiety from mild to severe as a result of job stress, alcohol/drugs, marital conflicts, and family issues. Often that source of anxiety comes from family members who tell us "you are not normal." There is competent help available for @Pilar Beckner and I wish her the best of luck finding it. Consulting with a different therapist, who would then recommend a competent therapist (so there would be no conflict of interest with a potential new client) MIGHT be a good first step.

Regarding the therapist who falls asleep during a session, that person also needs help. I know that at one time I was diagnosed by an MD with possible Narcolepsy and was given medications that had severe side affects. It took a very talented Sleep Doctor (MD) to diagnose me accurately with Sleep Apnea and he prescribed a CPAP machine and no medications. This has made an incalculable improvement in my life. There is help for all of us regardless of what the ailment might be.

gee, I have problems with my doctor, I think I'll come to an online car forum. Said no one ever.
I'd suggest that Tesla owners have a greater abundance of acumen compared to the average forum (car related or not)--they purchased a Tesla after all--so it's not really that unreasonable to ask this type of question here.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS