Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what should I make sure happens when batteries get installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
Been trying to learn as much as I can about issues installing batteries with this great site. I may be having mine installed shortly, so any last minute tips of things I should look out for? Am currently cleaning up my shop area so I can try to get as many of the enclosures installed in my living space that do not violate code. Trying to get as much of the wiring into the walls also, but not sure how this will go. Batteries will be outside on the other side of the wall. Once these are installed, then I can start having fun trying to understand from folks best way to program so I try to use only batteries during the peak ev2-a 4 to 12pm period :( Maybe buying some of the mini split remotes that let me program then for on and off.

I had to sign some stuff on number of smoke detectors and co2 in house. Allowing installer I guess to see 1 year of usage data. But so far not the dreaded NEM2 form :(

I am told it will be a 4 day job, with me not having power maybe 8 hours of each of these days. At least I have the generator.

Got my info on CT's ready, I hope. Since I am whole house, and the grid CT's are already built into each GW, looks like I only have on solar CT per GW.

Going to try and get hardwiring to my SE inverters and gateways. Got the cat 7 wiring ready and switches.

Whoa 4 days? I don't understand... that seems like a really long time. I mean, it's not like you have to cut power while putting the Powerwalls on the wall, Gateway conduits, gutters, solar on the roofs, etc.

The power cut should be just that time window to move your service to the Gateway and connect the Powerwalls and home loads to the gateway.

My wife would have murdered me if we didn't have power for more than 1 day.

For my 3x powerwalls... the work of replacing my main panel and hooking up the Powerwalls/TEG2 was actually done by the electricians in about 5 hours over a single day. This included moving my home loads to a new sub-panel and adding some blade disconnects (insert beating a dead horse emoji here).

The problem I had was Sunrun forgot to schedule an inspector to come by and do a meter release on the main panel upgrade. So we didn't have power for an additional 4 hours while we tried to figure out what to do.

B
I am told it will be a 4 day job, with me not having power maybe 8 hours of each of these days. At least I have the generator. .
That simply makes no sense as one other person mentioned. I don't have a Powerwall, but I was managing the installation of one from a friend that knows nothing about this stuff. The installer only had power off for about 45 minutes while making the final connection. I'd inquire more about why they need so much time. Perhaps they are replacing the panel?

First, congrats on the PWs!

Here is a few things I suggest.

Make sure you NOW do any repairs, remodeling, or painting near where the PWs will be located. You don't want to have to get behind the PWs and other boxes to do these tasks.

Get Ethernet run to where your TEG will go. You might just put a ethernet switch out there so you can run multiple ethernet segments to the TEG, Wifi access points, etc. If you want to go extra secure, set up a VLAN.

Decide how you want the power to run between your panels and the PW, TEG, etc. I am sure you have thought about this one already, but added it for completeness. And, of course, make sure your network is on the backed-up side if there is a critical loads panel.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
That simply makes no sense as one other person mentioned. I don't have a Powerwall, but I was managing the installation of one from a friend that knows nothing about this stuff. The installer only had power off for about 45 minutes while making the final connection. I'd inquire more about why they need so much time. Perhaps they are replacing the panel?
It took them 2 days to install our 2 Powerwalls and TEG. Power was out for an hour+ each day. They had to re-run and move some existing cables.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The 8hr time frame is a worse case if they are there all day. Unless you have some different install than the rest of us that info you were given likely would only apply to one day anyway. Are they replacing your main panel? I could see some extra time allotted for that.

What I would expect to happen would be two teams of people. A solar team working on the roof panel installation and eventually work to bring the conduit down to the equipment; and an electrical team installing any load center/distribution panels and inverter/s, gateway and powerwalls.

Before our install we added pest abatement mesh so that added additional time for the solar panel install. I think our install in total ran about 3-4 days. Solar finished up first.

Whoa 4 days? I don't understand... that seems like a really long time. I mean, it's not like you have to cut power while putting the Powerwalls on the wall, Gateway conduits, gutters, solar on the roofs, etc.

The power cut should be just that time window to move your service to the Gateway and connect the Powerwalls and home loads to the gateway.

My wife would have murdered me if we didn't have power for more than 1 day.

For my 3x powerwalls... the work of replacing my main panel and hooking up the Powerwalls/TEG2 was actually done by the electricians in about 5 hours over a single day. This included moving my home loads to a new sub-panel and adding some blade disconnects (insert beating a dead horse emoji here).

The problem I had was Sunrun forgot to schedule an inspector to come by and do a meter release on the main panel upgrade. So we didn't have power for an additional 4 hours while we tried to figure out what to do.
Will see what happens. The person on the phone said they were scheduling for 4 days. We have the powerwalls to install, 2 gateways, 2 generation panels, one solar inverter, splitting my solar up into these 2 inverters, installing cabling in walls, etc. Been done faster if qualify is great, but.

I guess the power goes out the first day based on what I was sent. Maybe I did not understand and it may only be out one day. No matter what, my generator can run entire house if needed. Luckily my wife works so just me and the cat dealing with the mess

Yep, power maybe only 1 day, and not whole day. But, I am prepared for whatever they need

First, congrats on the PWs!

Here is a few things I suggest.

Make sure you NOW do any repairs, remodeling, or painting near where the PWs will be located. You don't want to have to get behind the PWs and other boxes to do these tasks.

Get Ethernet run to where your TEG will go. You might just put a ethernet switch out there so you can run multiple ethernet segments to the TEG, Wifi access points, etc. If you want to go extra secure, set up a VLAN.

Decide how you want the power to run between your panels and the PW, TEG, etc. I am sure you have thought about this one already, but added it for completeness. And, of course, make sure your network is on the backed-up side if there is a critical loads panel.
I just have my entire house stuccoed so that is all done. Actually working on taking sheet rock off now to see if I can get the ethernet run before they get here. Have my switches ready.

Am running 3 PW's for my heating air mini splits, 2 PW's for rest of normal house. 100% of everything is behind the GW's, so up to me to not run too much stuff. Not sure I have enough solar to recharge correctly, but it is all that fits for now at 14.5K going to be split between the 2 GW's..

The 8hr time frame is a worse case if they are there all day. Unless you have some different install than the rest of us that info you were given likely would only apply to one day anyway. Are they replacing your main panel? I could see some extra time allotted for that.

What I would expect to happen would be two teams of people. A solar team working on the roof panel installation and eventually work to bring the conduit down to the equipment; and an electrical team installing any load center/distribution panels and inverter/s, gateway and powerwalls.

Before our install we added pest abatement mesh so that added additional time for the solar panel install. I think our install in total ran about 3-4 days. Solar finished up first.
I am just planning mentally worst case. Maybe just the first day without power, but pretty sure I was told to assume most of the day.

The grid panel stays the same. Old so finding a 200amp breaker maybe fun.

Yep, could easily be two teams, but I guess I will find out soon.

gee, that sounds like a nice system with lots of backup power. I'll run an extension cord from your home to mine :)
And I have the 22K generator on a 500 gallon propane tank. I told the wife, we should be ready for ANY kind of outage no matter how long it lasts!!!!!! With our area being well over due for the big earthquake, folks who think we may not ever get a REAL long outage are just playing with fire. I keep thinking about stocking up some food to be ready for the worst case events that may happen in the future.

All this just cost me spending some of my kids inheritance :) But happy wife, happy life!!!

Have 3 batteries just for my heating and cooling is going to be great. At least if I lose them, I can kick the generator on just that load and keep running house from other 2 batteries. I am wired for total flexibility.

And I put in generator panels at 225amp so I will be all wired to add more batteries or solar in the future and not have to change the wiring.

Reactions: pilotSteve
For anyone planning to order and get install, as was illustrated by what has been going on with @holeydonut’s install, plan ahead of time for any EV charging you may want down the road. I’d have an electrician come out and do the install ahead of time and keep the design team in the loop with your plans. They will need to adjust the plans to accommodate the extra circuitry and load calculations. Maybe this involves adding a NEMA 14-50 or a HPWC for example.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: holeydonut