Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my ideal charge percentage be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well you did charge to 90% at SC each and every time you discharged to 10%. So no, that doesn't qualify.

Yes, like clockwork.

I'm pretty sure that charging itself for so long (therefore hot) and so high voltage (4.2V in case of Tesla) did that mostly.

As I said that is possible. I guess to know I should run it to < 10% then wall charge. But, I'm happy just staying > 30%. BTW, nothing magic about 30%, I just figured that should be a safe number.

Also @whttiger25 is right. Degradation is extremely fast for few dozens of cycles of battery lifetime.

I guess I don't believe that for my particular case. It was instantaneous. I would expect it may change gradually if it was solely, or even mostly, due to the battery cycle period.

Also RM is imaginary number. Has little to do with how much capacity there actually is.

Not quite imaginary number. It is calculated by the BMS based on its reading.

If you store your vehicle for a year and then start driving, it will lose those RM's during few charging cycles.
Actually, capacity was lost during a year, not during few days.

I do not think you have lost any actual battery capacity. I suspect the algorithm is having trouble, that's all. What's your TOTAL range loss from the initial 294?
I don't charge to 100%. I charge to 90%. My 90% is now 255. Math calculates 100% to 283.

Funny how the algorithm drops 1 RM/week when SCing, then 0 after that when wall charging. Do you think the algorithm is tuned to discourage SC use? I rather doubt it. IMO it is a battery temperature issue.

I don't charge to 100%. I charge to 90%. My 90% is now 255. Math calculates 100% to 283.

Funny how the algorithm drops 1 RM/week when SCing, then 0 after that when wall charging. Do you think the algorithm is tuned to discourage SC use? I rather doubt it. IMO it is a battery temperature issue.
I think it’s battery temp, charge speed, amount battery depleted, when last charged over 90%

My rated @ 90% has 3-5 miles of “play” in it.

Ok. that's totally normal for current mileage of your vehicle. I would do similar math with extrapolating the 90% charge as well. My previous 90D dropped from 290 miles of range when I purchased it with 2400 miles (inventory) to about 280 by 10k mileage, and 277 or so at 20k mileage. I actually rememmber once day when I had about 8000 miles just randomly noticing my range was less. The altorithm is mor agressive in those first 10k miles. I don't think it's directly related to supercharging.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just charge routinely to 90% or less and SC when you want/need to. I do agree with your previous assessment though that letting it routinely go to 10% is probably not optimal. I think once you hit 20-30% it's time to think about charging.

Ok. that's totally normal for current mileage of your vehicle. I would do similar math with extrapolating the 90% charge as well. My previous 90D dropped from 290 miles of range when I purchased it with 2400 miles (inventory) to about 280 by 10k mileage, and 277 or so at 20k mileage.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just charge routinely to 90% or less and SC when you want/need to.
I'm not worried about it. For the last 3 months, using mostly wall charging and keeping my SOC >30% I've not had any RM loss. I've done a couple of SC sessions, but always with a SOC > 30%. I'll stick with that.

I'm not worried about it. For the last 3 months, using mostly wall charging and keeping my SOC >30% I've not had any RM loss. I've done a couple of SC sessions, but always with a SOC > 30%. I'll stick with that.

I'm not saying you ARE worried about it, I'm just saying you probably shouldn't correlate supercharging from below 30% to range loss, but rather correlate it to the break in of the relatively new battery. I would recommend not inconveniencing yourself to uphold your charging methodology, as it is heuristically not scientifically based, that's all.

Interesting. Mine has NEVER gone up. Only down. I've charged to 100% a couple of times, but my RM did not change. I've also SC charged from <10% to 90%. That caused a RM decrease.
I would strongly recommend also just leaving the indicator in percentage mode. The driving experience is better, and range miles rarely correspond to real miles anyway when you take into account variable weather, wind, and elevation. You can save yourself the stress of worrying about battery degradation that likely doesn't actually exist, and use the NAV to estimate charging needs based on percentage.

Reactions: FlyinLow
i'm charging my cpo p85 to full charge for the first time to see what it says. mine has 59k miles on it, and was a lease vehicle so I have no idea what kind of life it had up until now. almost at full and it says 250 miles. so 5.7% loss over 59K miles assuming it doesn't increase any more. i'll report back once i get a charge completed notification.

up to 251 and charging at 5 of 30 amps.

done at 251, does anyone think that's good.bad.or ugly? thanks!

Last edited:
I think it’s battery temp, charge speed, amount battery depleted, when last charged over 90%

My rated @ 90% has 3-5 miles of “play” in it.

Mine varies within 1-3 miles. My 90% is usually 263-264.
Interesting. Mine has NEVER gone up. Only down. I've charged to 100% a couple of times, but my RM did not change. I've also SC charged from <10% to 90%. That caused a RM decrease.
I originally took delivery in December 2016 and my 90% was 263. In spring 2017, my 90% was 264 and in the summer, it sometimes hit 265. My 100% increased from 293 in December 2016 to 295 in the summer of 2017.

i'm charging my cpo p85 to full charge for the first time to see what it says. mine has 59k miles on it, and was a lease vehicle so I have no idea what kind of life it had up until now. almost at full and it says 250 miles. so 5.7% loss over 59K miles assuming it doesn't increase any more. i'll report back once i get a charge completed notification.

up to 251 and charging at 5 of 30 amps.

done at 251, does anyone think that's good.bad.or ugly? thanks!

That's reasonable. A little low for the mileage maybe but nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Olds442
I have a recently purchased 100D. I had it for 2 weeks and then left for 3 months. It is in a heated garage north of the 49th, plugged in.
My original plan was to set the charge rate at Tesla's daily rate (about 250 kms. or 50 %) and have it automatically recharge to that rate every evening. I did that for the first 8 weeks but then decided to try charging it to 90% to see what the daily loss was while sitting in the garage. So I charged it to 90% and then set the slider back to the daily rate. It has been 3 weeks now and I see that it loses an average of 4.5 kms. each day so no charging done for the last 3 weeks. It could probably sit for 7-8 weeks before any charging required.
I wonder if anyone has a thought about what's best for the battery - charge often to 50% or take it higher and let it sit for longer?
Thanks

I have a recently purchased 100D.
Congratulations on the 100D! I recently had a Model S 100D as a loaner while our S-85 was in for its "annual" service. Love the improvements Tesla has made since the 2012 model.

I wonder if anyone has a thought about what's best for the battery - charge often to 50% or take it higher and let it sit for longer?
Keeping it at closer to 50% would, according to everything I've ever read about lithium ion batteries, be a bit more optimal. "Calendar aging" (essentially, secondary chemical reactions and structural changes that slowly rob the battery of storage capacity) occurs at a faster rate at 90% charge than at 50%, though it would probably take years for this to make a significant difference.

If you're concerned about having to charge more often, you should know that frequent "shallow cycling" of a battery seems to be better for longevity than less frequent, larger charges. In other words, ten charge/discharge cycles between 40% and 50% are preferable to a single cycle between 0% and 100%.

The best is to charge as often as possible as little as possible without going below 1/4 on the low end.
Charge up to 50% if you don't need more than 25%. Raise the limit so you don't dip below 25%.
Keep raising until 80%. Ultra high users should let it dip down to 15% before moving to 90% charge.

Li-ion battery doesn't care how often you charge it. It only cares how high is the state of charge for how long and how hot.
Keeping state of charge between 30%-50% is extremely ideal for normal and warm climates.

• Informative
Reactions: whttiger25