Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck is the deal with this aspect of the Falcon Doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried parking my Model X in my extremely tight garage and opening up the falcon doors with the garage door opener hanging down towards the front part of the car. The car was already off at the time. I was curious if the doors would sense the garage door opener box hanging from the ceiling, but unfortunately it did not and the top driver-side glass was pierced and had get to get it replaced. I am guessing that this is a weak point for the X? It's not able to always "see" a single object hanging down from the ceiling vs. the actual height of the ceiling?
That's right, the ultrasonic sensors can't detect every single overhead obstacle. If you can imagine "a cone of visibility" from each sensor, there are always going to be "blind spots". Same holds true for the side doors. The sensors are on the FWD and if there is a thin pole centred on the front door, the car won't see it either.

I tried parking my Model X in my extremely tight garage and opening up the falcon doors with the garage door opener hanging down towards the front part of the car. The car was already off at the time. I was curious if the doors would sense the garage door opener box hanging from the ceiling, but unfortunately it did not and the top driver-side glass was pierced and had get to get it replaced. I am guessing that this is a weak point for the X? It's not able to always "see" a single object hanging down from the ceiling vs. the actual height of the ceiling?
Sorry to hear that. I know exactly what you mean:

img_6055-jpg.196607

I would only open the door when I am outside the car so I can stop the door from opening further if for some reason the sensor glitches.

You definitely cannot rely on these sensors.

Sorry to hear that. I know exactly what you mean:

img_6055-jpg.196607

I would only open the door when I am outside the car so I can stop the door from opening further if for some reason the sensor glitches.

You definitely cannot rely on these sensors.
I seem to have the same type of door as you. First thing I did even before I got my Tesla was to use cylindrical foam insulation (the stuff you wrap hot water pipes with) and twist ties and covered that whole black metal rail with it, in case my doors ever tap it. It's happened once so far in 12 months of ownership.

we have the same issues with the driver side Falcon Wing Door stopping short often, especially in our garage. Car was definitely ok right after delivery, but has been acting this way since January. Tesla has replaced the sensor 4 times, but it hasn't fixed the problem. This is the door we load our baby into, so it's quite annoyed and inconvenient to say the least.

My husband did it. I'm pretty sure all he did was make them open fully; I think a button on the screen? We had no problem after he did this once.

Be careful with that setting. We do that as well, and we still can't get door to operate properly most of the time in the garage. On top of that, the door has ignore obstacles and hit the rail and the garage door itself. Use with caution!

You can't train the door. What he did is just set to "always open fully at this location" which actually makes the sensors more sensitive as well. I also use this setting inside my low garage because umbrella mode will hit my door and opener if not parked correctly.