Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do?!?!? 2013 Model S 60 Battery fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP also has to hope they don’t have a drive unit failure as well. Maybe all those O.G. drive units have already failed and been replaced, who knows.

This will be the same scenario for Model 3’s and any future Teslas that have the mile limited warranty. I know I am planning to sell mine at 120k miles, I don’t want to own a Tesla out of the battery warranty.

Interesting take. The marketplace for used M3's and MY's will be different as the volumes as MASSIVELY larger, as in an order of magnitude larger. Thus, the number of wrecked cars with great batteries and motors will be larger, leading to much, much lower parts prices for those out of warranty cars.

Or so I'd suspect.

There will likely be a really large ecosystem for the "mass market" Teslas which will preclude $11k battery replacements.

If more people are buying Teslas that means there are more people in the market. It could as easily turn out that the higher demand strains the parts market driving the prices up.

Perhaps, but not likely. They've been at this for a while, and have learned a LOT since 2013.

Elon has been public with "500,000 mile" projected lifespan of the then current (last year's, IIRC) Model 3, with short-term plans to bring that number to 1,000,000 miles, likely now or by 2020. I presume that's Tesla's planned lifespan of a Tesla Network use Model 3/Model Y.

The only constant is change.

Interesting take. The marketplace for used M3's and MY's will be different as the volumes as MASSIVELY larger, as in an order of magnitude larger. Thus, the number of wrecked cars with great batteries and motors will be larger, leading to much, much lower parts prices for those out of warranty cars.

Tesla will probably need to loosen up their lock on 3rd party repairs for the 3rd party market to really pick up. Right now you have to work entirely outside of Tesla for battery repairs, even their body shops are limited I believe.

Regular folks aren't going to be excited about rooting their cars for out of warranty repairs I imagine. And many repairs require the Tesla software/firmware tools or the ability to root.

Perhaps, but not likely. They've been at this for a while, and have learned a LOT since 2013.

Elon has been public with "500,000 mile" projected lifespan of the then current (last year's, IIRC) Model 3, with short-term plans to bring that number to 1,000,000 miles, likely now or by 2020. I presume that's Tesla's planned lifespan of a Tesla Network use Model 3/Model Y.

The only constant is change.

Even if the battery and DU are good for 500k or more what about the rest of the car? What is is about any other part of the car that makes it radically different than any other car on the road and will make the rest of it last longer?

Even if the battery and DU are good for 500k or more what about the rest of the car? What is is about any other part of the car that makes it radically different than any other car on the road and will make the rest of it last longer?

A Tesla would not likely be totaled due to worn our window regulators or suspension bushing wear--they'd just be fixed. In contrast, at an early age an engine reseal or transmission rebuild on a BMW could be an end-of-life event for the BMW.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Root is not required for the repair I offer and it typically only takes a couple of days.

Drive unit repair or replacement also doesn't need root.
Just curious, for once a tesla goes out of warranty but still running "fine" -- do you offer any services to check out the battery/fix these issues before they cause you to be stranded? I still got 1.5 years left btw.

Reactions: abasile
Unfortunately the battery issue is a random problem that doesn't give much warning. You can watch for an increase in voltage differential on the modules in the pack via canbus (TM-Spy, etc), which will give some warning. It won't be enough to get Tesla to act, but it can give you some warning.

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
So if I own the car for 30 years and I never reach one million miles They will replace the battery under warranty when it fails

comment seems to be coming from left field, but current warranty terms are 8 years and unlimited mileage; whichever occurs first.

Vehicle Warranty

New Vehicle Limited Warranty

Your vehicle is protected by a New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first. The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:

• Model S and Model X – 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of 8 years or 200,000 km, whichever comes first).

A Tesla would not likely be totaled due to worn our window regulators or suspension bushing wear--they'd just be fixed. In contrast, at an early age an engine reseal or transmission rebuild on a BMW could be an end-of-life event for the BMW.
Just look at the Cadillac Northstar debacle. When the inevitable headgasket failure happens, the car is worthless regardless of condition.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
125k miles is a lot for 8 years based on averages. I would expect the resale value to go down. I’m not too worried.

it would be interesting to see the raw failure data. If it’s truly small, Tesla could possibly come out ahead by increasing the cost and warranty (on new cars).

But I can see why they would decide to not fix under goodwill. With the internet, everyone starts saying “but you did it for...”

Reactions: Galve2000