Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do if you got a puncture?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are right and for anyone comfortable doing that it is probably worth it as an option. Just cut out the section of foam around the puncture area.

For me, I had a couple of situations in previous cars when the tyre was totally irreparable, so I was very glad of a spare to get me and the car home at night. I did ponder about getting a spare for a while, but having got it I am now very happy about it and with no negatives to report. Even for those who use breakdown cover for a puncture, totally understandable, then having the spare just simplifies that process as well.
To cut the foam out you need to take the tyre off... not really a roadside option. I have enough practice fixing punctures on some of my farm stuff and taking land rover size tyres off and on with tyre irons is a pain. I’ve have a few punctures fixed locally and, yes, they just cut a section of foam out and fit a mushroom. Roadside plugging on/off the car just from the outside should get one home, but I'm at an age where crawling around the car to do stuff is painful and certainly not a motorway hard shoulder thing to do. My solution is an RAC membership (covers the other cars too) and carry drinks and snacks and be patient.

Fwiw, having seen the inside of the Michelin Ps tyres with the foam strip, I can see no reason why a repair couldn't be done using a plug kit. It's literally a thin strip of foam glued to the inside of the tyre
I've done it. Worked fine. Had a proper repair done a week later by removing a bit of foam, patching and then regluing the removed foam bit.

Fwiw, having seen the inside of the Michelin Ps tyres with the foam strip, I can see no reason why a repair couldn't be done using a plug kit. It's literally a thin strip of foam glued to the inside of the tyre
Yes you can do an external plug in the normal way. I always have a kit in the car. Unfortunately there’s no guarantee that your tyre failure will fall into the pluggable repair category but it’s one option covered.

Reactions: M3noob