Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with your Model S when you remove a tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My assumption is someone here is going to tell me something that is very obvious that I missed... but honest question here:

I have had 2 tire issues in the past month. Each time, I would have preferred to remove the tire myself, take the tire to the shop, have it repaired and then reinstall the tire. Typically, with any of my old ICE cars, I would use a jack stand on the lower control arm. With a Tesla, I am a bit nervous regarding positioning.

My question: Is there a spot on the control arm that should be used or should not be used to hold the car suspended when the wheel is removed?

I do have a set of pucks to jack the car up in the proper location, but I hesitate to leave a car unattended on a hydraulic car jack.

Thoughts? and Thank you in advance.

Reactions: epicshooter
Upvote 0
I have 4 big floor jacks, and I just bought 4 Jackrods to go with it. They are a great solution that are well designed, and even worked great to support our Range Rover Sport recently. I am happy to say goodbye to the problem of setting jack stands. With the Jackrods, and leaving the jacks in the locked position, I get better redundancy than just jack stands.

• Helpful
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Upvote 0
Rennstand. Not my car but a photo I found on the web.

1688667038079.png

Upvote 0
I looked at those, but they are such a hassle to set up compared to Jackrod, and they are a real pain for cars with low ride height because they add a lot of height to the jack.
Actually, looking at how they work, it may be fine. The top portion is just placed on top of the jack and once you are at height, place the lower (red parts) below.

thanks @morepower

Upvote 0
Actually, looking at how they work, it may be fine. The top portion is just placed on top of the jack and once you are at height, place the lower (red parts) below.

thanks @morepower
I was a Firefighter for 20 years with special ops training. One of my fields of expertise was VMR (vehicle machinery rescue) and extrication. I have supported everything from full load semi-trailers to rail cars with 4x4 cribbing.

Upvote 0
I was a Firefighter for 20 years with special ops training. One of my fields of expertise was VMR (vehicle machinery rescue) and extrication. I have supported everything from full load semi-trailers to rail cars with 4x4 cribbing.
it was kind-a funny, I talked to my wife about the options and basically went with a "well, I can spend $200 and get a fancy jackstand or something, or I could do it like I did in Afghanistan in 2007 for ~$15 lol"

yeah, I will probably just make the wooden stands, like I said with my opening post, someone will likely have an idea that makes me think "duh, of course" and wooden supports was it.

Sometimes I think we get into a Tesla mindset because we have these $100k vehicles and forget that we don't need special equipment to fix stuff lol.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
Upvote 0
it was kind-a funny, I talked to my wife about the options and basically went with a "well, I can spend $200 and get a fancy jackstand or something, or I could do it like I did in Afghanistan in 2007 for ~$15 lol"

yeah, I will probably just make the wooden stands, like I said with my opening post, someone will likely have an idea that makes me think "duh, of course" and wooden supports was it.

Sometimes I think we get into a Tesla mindset because we have these $100k vehicles and forget that we don't need special equipment to fix stuff lol.
click on this link

Upvote 0
My assumption is someone here is going to tell me something that is very obvious that I missed... but honest question here:

I have had 2 tire issues in the past month. Each time, I would have preferred to remove the tire myself, take the tire to the shop, have it repaired and then reinstall the tire.
Exactly what I do too, to minimize the risk that somebody lifts in the wrong place. When I replaced all 4 last time, Tirerack came with the mobile tire van to the house. Very neat experience. I handed them the pucks and watched until I saw them put their jacks under each.
Typically, with any of my old ICE cars, I would use a jack stand on the lower control arm.
I did too, before I became an engineer.
With a Tesla, I am a bit nervous regarding positioning.

My question: Is there a spot on the control arm that should be used or should not be used to hold the car suspended when the wheel is removed?
Don't under any circumstances lift a modern car by the control arms. Extra important for EVs, which for efficiency reasons may have pushed the envelope further to reduce unnecessary mass. The arms are optimized to handle exactly the forces that they are subjected to during driving. That does not include any point loads from the outside surface.
I do have a set of pucks to jack the car up in the proper location, but I hesitate to leave a car unattended on a hydraulic car jack.

Thoughts? and Thank you in advance.

I jack up one side by its jack point furthest from the wheel to be removed. Then put the jack stand under the jack point closest to the removing wheel, then lower the jack a bit to where the car rests on both jack and stand. Not very elegant or efficient but it works.

• Helpful
Upvote 0
I'm in the part of the country where we need snow tires, so I bought a full set (wheels & tires) from Tirerack. When I had to repair a tire recently (screw), I just put on one of the snows while I worked.

If you don't have a set, I'd suggest buying a suitable used wheel & tire somewhere (junkyard, ebay, etc) - assuming you won't ever be rolling on it will make the search easier.

Upvote 0