Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to know when buying a salvage Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay thanks! In the shop I'll be using I have access to a 240v cord that we plug all the welders into, that should work right?

I figured out "tow mode" in the settings and managed to get it off the trailer, while looking for that setting the computer said "shutting off" where it showed all the other codes but it didnt while I was in there. Then I unloaded it and unplugged the HV first responder loop like Lukez suggested. So I really hope it will be good until I get the charger

All dependent on the plug, find out what outlet the welder plug is... sometimes they are 10/30... and the plug style/prong style can be different. Tesla used to support a bunch of different ones, now NEMA 14/50 seems to be the standard.

Reactions: CrazyCarl
#3 I read that you can take a salvaged tesla to a tesla service center and get updates that way, does anyone know if they require that Expensive inspection for updates? I tried calling a service center and I was just put on hold for 30 mins so I gave up on that route of asking

You should read their policy: Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy

I wish I could help, but I can't answer any of those questions, except that I think Tesla won't touch (or update) a salvaged car until it's gone through their inspection and passed, and you paid their fee (I think it's $1500).

No, they changed things a while back. Now the only thing they have is a HV inspection, that costs ~$500, but all it gives you is the ability to have them work on the HV system and re-enables updates. (Supercharging stays disabled.)

You should read their policy: Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy

No, they changed things a while back. Now the only thing they have is a HV inspection, that costs ~$500, but all it gives you is the ability to have them work on the HV system and re-enables updates. (Supercharging stays disabled.)

Thank you for linking that! So how do you tell if SuperCharging is disabled? Before I disconnected the first responder loop, I put in a route and it showed all the SuperCharging stations so is that a good sign? And if Tesla does disable it who are the guys who know how to get root access?

Thanks!

Thank you for linking that! So how do you tell if SuperCharging is disabled? Before I disconnected the first responder loop, I put in a route and it showed all the SuperCharging stations so is that a good sign? And if Tesla does disable it who are the guys who know how to get root access?

Thanks!
I have been curious about supercharging in cars that don't have unlimited supercharging. You can obviously reactivate it if you gain root access. But, how would you pay for supercharging and would that send a flag to Tesla? This only a problem for cars made after 2017 and (if I remember correctly) Tesla has in the past not allowed salvaged owners gain access to the app and add the cars to their Tesla account. Plus, you run the risk of them blacklisting your car if you do.

Reactions: CrazyCarl
I have been curious about supercharging in cars that don't have unlimited supercharging. You can obviously reactivate it if you gain root access. But, how would you pay for supercharging and would that send a flag to Tesla? This only a problem for cars made after 2017 and (if I remember correctly) Tesla has in the past not allowed salvaged owners gain access to the app and add the cars to their Tesla account. Plus, you run the risk of them blacklisting your car if you do.

Thanks everyone for their replies, I have it in my shop and its charging. I would like to start a build thread and document my progress with everyone. But I'm very new to the forum is there a certain place I should post it?

Hey guys!

I've bought 2 cars from copart in the past and rebuilt them but they were ICE's. Now I'm very interested in trying to rebuild a tesla

But before I go and spend the money on a copart tesla, I had some questions for those of you that have done it!
I've been learning by reading several of the builds here on the form, especially the ones by desoukya.

So basically before I bid on it, what are the things you guys would look out for before bidding?

If the radiator/coolant system has been damaged (front end crash), other than repair/bleeding the system what is there on the computer side that needs done?

Also if Tesla ends up disabling the SuperCharging/AP how much do the guys who know how to gain root access to turn it back on charge for their services?

Thanks much!

You must buy Carfax report - CARFAX™ - Shop, Buy, Own, & Sell Used Cars And on Salvage auction Copart and IAAI Statistics. Bid history copart and iaai auction history

Thanks!

Unfortunately the only way to tell is to try to supercharge. What kind of damage did the car have? Any airbags deployed? If not, you probably will not need any reprogramming. If the coolant loop was damaged, you will need to repair that as part of the functionality is to cool the HV battery pack.

Bringing this up from the dead - Has anyone purchased a salvage? and able to SC or get it insured?

If it's a model S or X, expect supercharging to get turned off some day. If it's a 3 you may be able to keep supercharging (at least as things stand now).

Any salvage car can be insured without problems by almost any insurance company. They just don't pay off the full value of the car if it gets totalled (usually they pay off 75% of the clean title value).

Good luck

You wont get in trouble, but i'd be cautious as you have no idea whats damaged. You could blow something (or yourself) up. Be practical. Others here will tell you to cut off your nose to spite your face, due to their feelings about how Tesla handles salvages, and plug it in. I personally would not do that, especially at a supercharger, but at home in a controlled environment.
Does anyone know how to find a place to take a salvaged Tesla that needs some repairs in Southern California?