Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to make of Elon saying FS will finish soon and non-FS will start production in 3Q?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It depends. If you re talking about the truck buyers who actually use their truck for work, they won’t even touch CT. If you are talking about F-150 buyers who like to show off, they would consider it.
Nope. The pavement princess truck crowd is very staunchly anti EV.

Cybertruck buyers are mostly Tesla/Elon zealots, influencers, and celebrities. Probably never had a truck before.

I’m sure there are a handful of examples otherwise but there’s not going to be a lot of ICE truck buyers, whether fleet or personal use, that are going to a Cybertruck. Maybe F150 Lightning, Silverado EV, or the upcoming Ram REV.

Cybertruck buyers are mostly Tesla/Elon zealots, influencers, and celebrities. Probably never had a truck before.

I’m sure there are a handful of examples otherwise but there’s not going to be a lot of ICE truck buyers, whether fleet or personal use, that are going to a Cybertruck. Maybe F150 Lightning, Silverado EV, or the upcoming Ram REV.

Wow, the number of biased, gender bashing, social status bashing people on here is amazing.

And to think that these are pretty much the exact same statements used against ANY EV just a few years ago.

• Funny
Reactions: gillfoto and ucmndd
What an uninformed opinion. So what does a "truck" do that the Cybertruck doesn't?

Oh yeah, haul a 4x8 piece of plywood laying down in the bed. Whoops, never mind, many pickup "trucks" don't even do that anymore!
The bed is tiny, and the design makes it impossible to get anything in or out of.

Range is massively disappointing, doubly or triply so when towing, which effectively rules it out as a practical tow vehicle. A fifth wheel is an impossibility, although I doubt many people are clamoring for that given the abysmal towing range.

Off-road capabilities are embarrassing to nonexistent.

It is not a serious truck. It’s a toy. Even if it was actually functional as a truck, the looks immediately rule out ~80+% of people who would otherwise be interested. The whole thing is a boondoggle, and the number of people willing to pay $80-120k to be in on the joke is shrinking by the minute.

The bed is tiny, and the design makes it impossible to get anything in or out of.

Range is massively disappointing, doubly or triply so when towing, which effectively rules it out as a practical tow vehicle. A fifth wheel is an impossibility, although I doubt many people are clamoring for that given the abysmal towing range.

Off-road capabilities are embarrassing to nonexistent.

It is not a serious truck. It’s a toy. Even if it was actually functional as a truck, the looks immediately rule out ~80+% of people who would otherwise be interested. The whole thing is a boondoggle, and the number of people willing to pay $80-120k to be in on the joke is shrinking by the minute.

You really are UNINFORMED.

The bed is large enough that a 4x8 piece of plywood will lay down in and not hang over the tailgate. This simple feature surpasses maybe half of the pikups today where you have to lean the plywood on a wheel well and/or hang it past the tailgate.

Range for the AWD is LARGER than the initial projections indicated. It is on par with most of the other Teslas.

A towing vehicle? It's actually going to be quite sufficient in replacing most work trucks. You know, the ones that people use every day to make money. Those folks are most often landscaping crews. There are a few "work" trucks that haul trailers, but they are generally short-range daily runs.
It does perform my towing needs when pulling my boat around.

Okay, fifth-wheel, you win one.

But MOST pickups don't tow. And for the ones that do, it's often the boat to the nearby lake or the camper to the nearby campground. Most weekend camping is well within the range of the truck.

Off-road? Not really sure where you get your information out there. It may not be the best in every category, but it does rival the best in most every category. And to be good, you don't even need to rival the best.

The Cybertruck may not be your cup of tea, but it is in the opposite corner from being conceded a toy.

What an uninformed opinion. So what does a "truck" do that the Cybertruck doesn't?

Oh yeah, haul a 4x8 piece of plywood laying down in the bed. Whoops, never mind, many pickup "trucks" don't even do that anymore!
Was that with the tailgate open? I lay down in a CT the other day and barely fit in it although it was hard to tell exactly where my feet were.

I don’t know what trucks you’re talking about.

Any full size truck can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells. Including all the competing EV trucks. Even the Honda Ridgeline can. Midsize and compact trucks (eg Tacoma, Maverick) cannot, but those are not nearly in the same size class as Cybertruck so moot comparison.

Plus on other trucks you still have room in front and behind the wheel wells to put other stuff. Not possible on Cybertruck because the walls are just flat.

You can’t easily reach over the side of the bed to tie down and secure your load in the Cybertruck. You have to do it in the bed.

There's much truth to that.

Given the charging infrastructure, it's difficult to take a CT one way to remote areas (mountains, deserts) let alone tow/haul something to have fun once you get there.

The CT's small battery and $16k+ bed swallowing range extender was a pig-and-a-poke rug pull for many on the waitlist.

Reactions: ucmndd
There's much truth to that.

Given the charging infrastructure, it's difficult to take a CT one way to remote areas (mountains, deserts) let alone tow/haul something to have fun once you get there.

The CT's small battery and $16k+ bed swallowing range extender was a pig-and-a-poke rug pull for many on the waitlist.

EV trucks need to be promoted as Sports Trucks period. There is a market for that, where they can be compared to the Shelby F-150's of the world. The problem right now is all these EV trucks are being promoted as alternative to ICE trucks and the only one that comes to close to that is the Pro F-150 Lightning, which then gets slapped around by the ICE STX $35k F-150.

The CT and Lightning need to go the Sports Truck route. The CT already has most if not all the components it needs as a sports truck. The whole off road cos-play isn't working. The Lightning has a lot of work to do. Rivian is the only truck that I believe can compete with ICE Trucks like the Tacoma, Ranger and Colorado.

EV trucks need to be promoted as Sports Trucks period. There is a market for that, where they can be compared to the Shelby F-150's of the world. The problem right now is all these EV trucks are being promoted as alternative to ICE trucks and the only one that comes to close to that is the Pro F-150 Lightning, which then gets slapped around by the ICE STX $35k F-150.

The CT and Lightning need to go the Sports Truck route. The CT already has most if not all the components it needs as a sports truck. The whole off road cos-play isn't working. The Lightning has a lot of work to do. Rivian is the only truck that I believe can compete with ICE Trucks like the Tacoma, Ranger and Colorado.
Some here will get defensive about this, but it's absolutely true.

CT works great to haul around town, fast, high ride, maybe the smoothest ride of all trucks on the market (definitely the best riding Tesla), but it can't and won't be good at towing. It may be good at off-roading, but it's not best in class or even close.

It's a great commuter vehicle that can carry stuff...and there's a version that is really fast.

It's fine to be that.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
Some here will get defensive about this, but it's absolutely true.

CT works great to haul around town, fast, high ride, maybe the smoothest ride of all trucks on the market (definitely the best riding Tesla), but it can't and won't be good at towing. It may be good at off-roading, but it's not best in class or even close.

It's a great commuter vehicle that can carry stuff...and there's a version that is really fast.

It's fine to be that.

I don't understand why anyone would be offended by that. Sports Trucks are better daily drivers than "Off Roading" trucks. Soon one of these CT owners will go the other route and throw some sticky tires on it, with suspension tweaks and it will be amazing. This whole "off road" trend is bizarre.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
Was at Raleigh Service today for a 12V battery replacement (which guy said should last at least 3 years; this one made it 32 months, 41k miles). Sales guy said they are delivering 3-5 CT/FS daily, but are never told anything about developments, such as when non-FS orders will start, and how long it will take reservations holders to get one. He basically said (shrugging) that HQ is only saying new orders will get shipped in late ‘25.

Reactions: ewoodrick