Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What type of car is Model 3 replacing for you?

What type of car is Model 3 replacing for you?

• EV (Leaf, Model S, etc)

Votes: 74 16.1%
  • Hybrid (Prius, Volt, etc)

Votes: 76 16.5%
  • ICE Sedan

Votes: 187 40.6%
  • ICE SUV

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • ICE Truck

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 46 10.0%
  • None (First car or not a replacement)

Votes: 31 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg

2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I can't wait until this is not needed anymore.

Reactions: wilhelmspencer
The model 3 will be replacing our 2008 Seqouia SUV (14-16mpg). Toyota knows how to make a great product but I am ready to move on to something completely different. The timing of the model 3 will be perfect for me, and I am one of the later reservations made, right before 325k.

2013 Kia Optima Hybrid EX. I actually love my car, it's quite well equipped and I'm hoping that not too many things I've gotten used to with this ride turn into premium options for the Model 3 which would ratchet its price much higher than the 35k base.

After having the Optima's dual sunroof (very similar to the panoramic sunroof of the Model S), leather seats, Kia's version of a premium sound system, heated & ventilated seats, heated steering wheel (a godsend in Chicago)-- I really don't see myself making do with anything less. PLEASE Tesla, don't hurt me with the options!

Sincerely can't wait for what the Kia will never have: Autopilot, air suspension, dual motor, and all the EV goodness!

99 Land Rover Discovery II

I'm honestly just shocked that it has lasted me, personally, for 13 years. lots of hiccups along the way, including being unable to shift out of park for 30 minutes at the gas station (of all places) yesterday.

it's going to be a whole new world.

I'll be coming from a 2015 Subaru Legacy purchased in March of 2015. Only 15k miles so far, but it might have as much as 40k by the time my 3 arrives some time in 2018 (I stood in line and am hoping for an early-ish delivery). I wish I could say I was coming from an EV like some of you, but the Model 3 is the first EV on the market with acceptable compromises for me.

I feel like I have one of the newest cars here, save for those leasing. Normally, I don't like buying new cars so close together (it's kinda wasteful) and won't do it again as I hope to use the full extent of the 8 year warranty.

Very interested in the results. Interesting to see the mix of new to electric drive trains vs hybrid / EV & PHEV owners. Oh hang on... there's a major category been missed. A PHEV is vastly different to an hybrid. One runs totally on gas and recovers a little bit of electric while the other can run part time on sunlight, wind power or rain water returning to the sea rainfall coming out of your plug socket - for short trips anyway!

I'm coming from an i3 REX... trying really hard to convince my other half to have it when the finance is over, but "she doesn't like electric cars". She's currently learning to drive in an 07 Ford Focus Auto(slush-o-matik 4 speed yuck!). I mean seriously - I'm offering her a free £38,000 list price car and she's like, meh. Ok by 2018 / 19 it will have lost a lot of value (and why I want to keep it in the family) but never mind. Horse to water and all that. Given it has all the collision avoidance and self parking features... I'm thinking as a 2nd car it's a pretty damn good option. Nevermind - "its not red" and "the interior is too big".??

Al I can hope is when she eventually does have a go at driving in the i3 she finally understand why she should keep it!

I did test drive a Tesla S85 back in 2014 when ordering the i3, but couldn't convince myself an S85 was worth 2 x i3s. My simple maths told me I could leave one i3 charging half way on long trips or have 8 seats available for short trips ;-) Not that I had £63,000 knocking around.

Been waiting around for a 3 to turn up. Wasn't mad enough to order without seeing a picture, but did order within 2 minutes of seeing a picture!