Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What UNEXPECTED Feature Do You Love/Hate After Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pros:

love love 1-pedal driving
sound system
frunk
auto pilot
acceleration
OTA updates

Cons:

FSD not worth the 7k I spent and may not be for much of usable life of vehicle.

Inability to ask infotainment system for weather, sports scores, stocks or all the items I queried Android Auto with often.

composing text messages requires too much screen tapping and button mashing.

why can I not view tire pressure in the app or onscreen in 2020?

sentry mode is indeed in need of an integrated viewer, preferably from phone.

cabin heater sucks battery down like a fat kid at the buffet. wearing thick coat in car not fun.

One of the bigger pros is using the phone as a key. Not having to whip out a key or have an additional thing in my pocket is nice.

Also since I live around Berkeley area, being able to use the summon to move the car forward just slightly so the car would fit in the spot and I don't take up two spots is super nice.

My con is still the windshield wipers. I thought my lead at the time was being ridiculous complaining about them being on auto but once I got the car I had the same gripes. Granted since the last update it has gotten 'smarter', but on auto either its not wiping away when it starts raining so I'm blind until I go manual, or its wiping away as fast as it can so all I see is a black blur. When. Its. Dry.

Not a feature but other cons:

I guess it also ties into windshield wipers but forgetting where the gear stick is in an ICE car and then proceeding to turn on the windshield wipers trying to put the car into drive.

I was picky where I would park my car in parking lots before but now I'm even more picky and will get a spot taken in busy parking lot and circle around for longer just cause I didn't like how someone else was parking T_T

why can I not view tire pressure in the app or onscreen in 2020?

You can! Just swipe either right or left, (can’t remember) in the lower left corner of the screen. One way shows tire pressures, the other way is the trip meter.

I’ve circled the area. You can see the three little dots indicating there are three screens, but you need to swipe to see the other two. It’s pretty subtle.

Attachments

• DDF063F7-B9C3-467C-B49D-322C429ED32D.jpeg
    DDF063F7-B9C3-467C-B49D-322C429ED32D.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 79
As Tesla keeps releasing updates my cons list has been slowly whittled down. The recent addition of text message integration was a huge one for me. Very glad to have it now.

Some remaining things that have bothered me for the past 22 months:

• All radio favorites from all sources are grouped together in one list. I prefer to have source specific favorites. If Slacker is the currently selected audio source I only want to see my Slacker favorites. If FM is selected I only want FM favorites on the screen, etc.
  • Radio favorites are the same for all driver profiles. Each profile should have its own favorite stations list.
  • I’d like the ability to have Spotify and Slacker to support multiple accounts. My wife and I have very different taste in music and would prefer for us not to share the same Spotify or Slacker account in the car.
  • Still no support for waypoints or being able to select which superchargers are chosen for longer drives.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
I was surprised to find this is not included anymore and now is a $300 option that requires an hour service appointment!!!

Same here. You can schedule a mobile appointment via the app; I just had mine installed yesterday at home. The technician took about 20 minutes to complete the work. Just be prepared to see your frunk dismantled and the upper portion of the front bumper unhinged and pulled back.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_6712.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6714.pdf
    44 KB · Views: 40
Same here. You can schedule a mobile appointment via the app; I just had mine installed yesterday at home. The technician took about 20 minutes to complete the work. Just be prepared to see your frunk dismantled and the upper portion of the front bumper unhinged and pulled back.:eek:
20 minutes! That's quick.

I wonder if all Los Angeles area mobile technicians are as adept at installing the Homelink module.

You can! Just swipe either right or left, (can’t remember) in the lower left corner of the screen. One way shows tire pressures, the other way is the trip meter.
Or use voice commands and ask to show tire pressure.

• Helpful
Reactions: thedm96
20 minutes! That's quick.

I wonder if all Los Angeles area mobile technicians are as adept at installing the Homelink module.

I hope so! This was my first experience, and it is was great.

I had a somewhat related conversation with my tech. He said that initially, the Homelink installs were being done at the shop only. Shop techs were complaining that the mod was too difficult and time-consuming, so Tesla handed it to the mobile tech "guinea pigs," as he put it. He said "bring it on, we'll figure it out!" Apparently, they did figure it out and realized that it wasn't necessary to remove the whole bumper. One exception. For those with big hands, it may not be possible to squeeze their hand into the top portion of the bumper, which means the whole bumper has to come off, and more time spent installing.

I love nearly everything about the Model 3. The thing that I love that I never expected to care anything about one way or another is the HOLD mode. It's fantastic. The other feature I love so much that I'd never have expected is simply getting out an walking away when I've arrived at my destination. Now when I drive any other vehicle it's like I've got to go through a long mental checklist to ensure I've done all the tasks I need to before walking away, and I still sometimes forget to turn off then engine.

Most unexpected dislike is how much other cars stink. I hate being stuck behind them at lights; walking through a parking lot of idling cars (yes it's a thing here at -26C); accessing the rear of an SUV while idling, the stench of gas stations, spilling a few drops of gas on my glove while filling the vehicle. They're gross, everything about them smells terrible.

Most unexpected dislike is how much other cars stink. I hate being stuck behind them at lights; walking through a parking lot of idling cars (yes it's a thing here at -26C); accessing the rear of an SUV while idling, the stench of gas stations, spilling a few drops of gas on my glove while filling the vehicle. They're gross, everything about them smells terrible.

THIS.

I’m aware of environmental concerns, but far from a tree hugger. I was out with my daughter last night and she pointed out all of the exhaust coming out of other cars and said it was “gross”.

Not stating this as some “elitists” comment (still own an ICE SUV), but ICE vehicles seem really primitive now.

Love the Air in Summer, being able to condition the cabin.
Dog mode approved

Heat in winter is terrible, cabin always chilly wife wears her gloves,
and the battery takes a hit.

Really?!

Our temperatures in January are 25 degrees Fahrenheit colder than yours. This is our second winter in our Model 3. Of the 12 vehicles my wife and I have owned over the years, the Model 3 is BY FAR the fastest to warm up of any of them. Within a few blocks the car is toasty and warm and everyone is turning down their seat heaters. By comparison it takes 15 miles of driving in our 2018 Toyota Highlander to get it nice and warm and the seat heaters on full aren’t as warm as the Model 3’s on low. We’ve done 600 mile road trips in -18F with our jackets in the back seat. The car pre-warms in as little as 5 minutes when it’s -20F outside. I, and every Albertan Tesla owner I’ve ever talked to, all agree that our Teslas are the best winter cars we’ve ever owned. It’s not even close. And we know winter.

My only issue in winter was the incredibly slow Supercharging with a cold battery and hotter long it took to warm the battery up while driving. I twice complained to Tesla about this. I suggested both times they figure out a way to pre-warm the battery when a Supercharger stop was coming up. I was thrilled to see that in an update this past summer. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to put it to the test in extreme cold this winter because so far our winter trips have been in 20F temps rather than -20F temps, but at those warmer temperatures the pre-heating of the battery is working well.

Edited to add: the car should have come with a steering wheel heater too.

Reactions: MikeyC38
I have no issue with the speed on the display where it is. It’s on a “Horizontal plane” with my eyeball view of the road; older style gauges were on a “vertical” plane. I don’t think they’re necessarily better or worse, just different.

Now, as for physical controls ... Some are excellent (the temp and fan knobs in our Enclave are probably the best HVAC controls I’ve ever used.) ... and some are atrocious. I’m driving a rental Toyota Avalon right now, and it’s the most awful UX I’ve ever had. One row of identical size and shape buttons, with tiny symbology above each. No less than 3 buttons have defroster symbols on it.

I struggle to believe Toyota has the nerve to price that thing the same as Model 3 ... the controls are THAT bad; the decent ride and handling get completely drowned out.

That said - SOME physical controls on Model 3 would’ve been nice. Wiper stalk should have speed adjustments. HVAC controls could be easier. But what’s there isn’t terrible - just not as nice as a tactile knob.
Why aren't you using voice commands?
I just wish I had an ACTUAL list of recognized commands.