Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What UNEXPECTED Feature Do You Love/Hate After Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry mode is definitely not useless. There have been plenty of incidents where it helped identify perpetrators who would have otherwise gotten away.

I do agree that it’s not practical to have to view the footages on a separate device. Have you heard of a product called Roadie?

Last edited:
Reactions: tvad and DrtyJrze
What feature has surprised you since taking delivery?

Two weeks in, I'm most pleasantly surprised by the usefulness of regular AutoPilot. I go to the same bar every day after work, which involves a 4-mile drive on a fairly busy road with a bunch of traffic lights. AP is AWESOME for this, as I basically just get in the right lane, set it, and catch up on texts/emails while being driven to the bar.

Love the one pedal driving.

And this is more expected, but I really love being able to turn on the climate control 10 minutes ahead of getting into my car during this cold Northeast winter.

• Funny
Reactions: Sherlo and DrtyJrze
1) Feeling of having superpowers over other cars with the quick acceleration, and the deflated and hopeless look you leave on bad driver's faces when you punch it
2) Supercharger network really makes you feel like you're not on your own and can get there quickly and conveniently
3) Range anxiety goes away if you get in the car with 200 miles of range and ask yourself to try to use it up quickly
4) It really is an iPad on wheels, and you figure out how literal that is once you have owned it for a couple weeks

Dislikes:

1) Sloppy build quality, and the feeling that the warranty and service is about as good as Hyundai's in the 90's
2) There's a ton of things to break on this car, and it does break from what you read of personal experiences, so the whole reliability thing compared to ICE cars doesn't pan out like you thought
3) Insurance is stupid expensive
4) The obvious chaos that is the internal workings of Tesla
5) When AutoPilot slams on the brakes for no good reason on a busy and fast moving freeway on your first day of ownership

I love one pedal driving as well, and it's spoiled me when I have to drive my wife's car without it. Only solution for that is to get her a Tesla, I guess :)

At first I loved the soft touch materials that extended beyond the dash and down to the doors and glovebox, but then when reaching for my laptop bag in the passenger floor area, my fingernail scraped the glovebox and left a nasty scratch. And I'm a guy with short, dull nails, and I didn't even bump the glovebox that hard. Coming from a BMW M2 which I thought had fairly cheap feeling plastic on the lower portions of the dash, I now wish the Tesla were more durable there.

To improve things with Sentry mode, I used the Tesla USB project which takes a Raspberry Pi Zero W and mounts it as a USB drive in the car, and automatically uploads the footage to my NAS once I'm home and the Pi joins wifi. To review the footage, I'm using a Mac app called Focus Dashcam, which makes it much easier to see all the footage by date. It has all been working perfectly since I set it up.

Reactions: DaddyCool
I still hate the inability to turn off automatic dimming for the side mirrors. They’re so dark. I have tinted windows. Though only 30% it’s really hard to see.

People always forgot to turn on their headlights nowadays. I almost hit a car without headlights on when I tried to switch lane because the mirror is so dark I couldn’t see the car coming from behind.

I still hate the inability to turn off automatic dimming for the side mirrors. They’re so dark. I have tinted windows. Though only 30% it’s really hard to see.

People always forgot to turn on their headlights nowadays. I almost hit a car without headlights on when I tried to switch lane because the mirror is so dark I couldn’t see the car coming from behind.
The problem is not the auto-dimming mirrors. The problem is window tinting, which is your choice.

Set the speed offset alert to chime so you know when you are a fixed amount over the speed limit, then there is no need to look at the mph display. Nav talks to you, which greatly reduces the need to look at the display.

Are both those solutions perfect? No, they are not. But they work 95% of the time for me. And I find no difference between moving my eyes slightly to the right to look at the 3 screen as compared to moving my eyes slightly down to look at the S/X display.

When Voice Control is fully and reliably implemented, in my opinion the issue you describe will be a non-issue. The current release is just the beginning...

I was going to make the same post about the speed chime capability and agree with as the voice control system improves much of these issues will be a moot point. Don't forget the goal is to get to FSD and near term less driver intervention and so adding all kinds of buttons etc would be self-defeating, wasted expense and slow adaptation away from all the cockpit buttons and screens of traditional cars.

My auto windshield wiper works fine most of the time. Not sure how it will "learn" to be better as I think it is dependent on the front facing camera to know when to wipe. Sometimes that area can be clear of water but water runs from your roof down in front of your driver's seat view and so necessitates changing from auto to one of the other settings. I haven't tried out a Voice Command for the wipers yet but if it works reliably that would be fine with me then. I did a voice command yesterday (2019.40.50.7) for text messages--receive, read out loud and send reply and was pretty impressed. Accurate too. Changed my temperature back and forth with ease. Haven't had time to explore more of what it can recognize.

As for the use of Sentry and TeslaCam, Tesla added this after many bay area owners were having their cars broken into (horrible problem here in this part of California). Not sure if it was something Tesla intended to do but certainly could be but just don't think they were ready to do so with the HW 2.0-2.5 boards. It started out as just the front camera, then they added the two side ones and more recently the rear trunk camera. It is a work in progress but honestly I think it's foolish to not use it. Sure you'll get a lot of Sentry alerts especially in busy parking areas but really no need to fret over not being able to see them immediately. Honestly do you really want to review them in your car if you come back to see more than 1 of them anyway? Only time it will matter is if you do notice someone keyed your car or dented it. Easy enough to make a quick pass around your car either when you get in or later when you next park. Anything that got recorded before then would be inconsequential so can be later deleted without even looking at it. And if something triggers an actual Alarm state, you will know it if you have your notifications set up for it to send to your phone (highly recommended). That and if you are in earshot will hear the horn or maybe the blaring music. See the lights flashing if it's dark.

Please don't let the alert notifications disuade you from using the dashcam/sentry features. SO many people have benefitted from it be it in catching a perp on video for the police or providing video evidence to police/your insurance company of fault in a traffic situation where otherwise it might be he-said-she-said type situation or maybe in a no-witness hit-and-run situation that could leave you with a large damage claim and being found at fault when you weren't.

....Worse is the navigation turn display that appears to be miniaturized and blended within the context of the map and larger display. It can be made more prominent....

By miniaturized do you mean the font size of the text or the fact that the Direction list of turns will collapse after a short period of time? The second can be counteracted by swiping down on the Directions window to reopen. However I find that with the visual mapping of directions on the screeen it work fine for me otherwise, but I do like to see the list of upcoming turns in text format.

I wouldn't mind being able to adjust the font size of the Direction text a bit but if you've set your Navigation settings to have audio turned up to a level to clearly hear I don't see the text size to be as big of an issue then. For newbies, your Nav audio setting is separate from your music setting and if you are having trouble hearing the Nav directions you can adjust that from the Direction list by tapping the settings wheel in the window and adjusting there (but best to do before driving IMO). Also you can pause or silence the audio from your music by pressing on the left scroll wheel to help you hear the directions. Another tap on the scroll wheel will return music audio to the prior level.

....Absolutely hate the auto tilting driver side mirror when in Reverse.

Do you realize this is a setting on the Premium Interior package that you can turn off or on (partial premium I don't believe have the ability to tilt). Personally I like it as it enables you to see the parking lines as you back out (or back into a spot) if looking in your mirror and also see if anything might be in the way there near the rear side of the car (thinking kid or kid's toy). Just a double check when using the rear view camera that won't see what's on the ground at your side.

Last edited:
....To improve things with Sentry mode, I used the Tesla USB project which takes a Raspberry Pi Zero W and mounts it as a USB drive in the car, and automatically uploads the footage to my NAS once I'm home and the Pi joins wifi. To review the footage, I'm using a Mac app called Focus Dashcam, which makes it much easier to see all the footage by date. It has all been working perfectly since I set it up.

Thanks for the info but do you always view your alert notifications from Sentry? I just don't see the point if I've walked around my car (maybe not every day but often enough). During the winter right now with it raining and cold and frosting over, I'll go out to my car with a klennex and wipe the rear camera and side pillar cameras before driving off. So easy enough to do a quick inspect too during that or when I'm putting anything into the car like groceries. Whoever gets in on the passenger side (like my husband) will also take note of the side panel's condition.

Now I did save some footage this morning after running errands and returning home of one of my neighbors on the next street over hosing down a car that was kind of partially parked in their driveway. Looked frosted over (it was in low 30s this a.m.) and either had smoke coming off of it or condensation from the cold water hitting the cars hood. Car lights were on and it was running and windows looked frosted over unless it was smoke inside. Strangest thing ever. Now I popped my flash drive and inserted my back up one so I can look at that footage! I can't imagine the car was actually on fire, and otherwise it seemed like a really dumb way to defrost a car. Was tempted to ask her if she needed help but she saw me looking and just keep on hosing the car down.

Do you realize this is a setting on the Premium Interior package that you can turn off or on (partial premium I don't believe have the ability to tilt). Personally I like it as it enables you to see the parking lines as you back out (or back into a spot) if looking in your mirror and also see if anything might be in the way there near the rear side of the car (thinking kid or kid's toy). Just a double check when using the rear view camera that won't see what's on the ground at your side.
I do realize it can be turned off, but doing so also turns off the passenger mirror tilt, which we like.

It’s been a few weeks since delivery, and there are two features of the TM3 that surprisingly have caused me to have a stronger than expected emotional response.

What was interesting to me is that before delivery I didn’t even think about the one I love, but was excited for the one I now kinda “hate”. I’ll start with the positive:

One Pedal Driving: I LOVE this feature! It’s something I never realized I needed, until I had it, hahaha. One less thing I have to worry about, and once you get used to it it’s easy to drive consistently without being a hazard to other drivers. Hopefully more ICE cars start implementing this feature.

Sentry Mode: This feature was actually one of the selling points for me getting a TM3. But in its current state it’s borderline worthless, IMO. Mainly because you can’t view the “incident” on the 15” screen that is the nerve center to the car. This makes zero sense. I think the 10 seconds that triggered the incident report should be loaded and ready for your review upon entry into the vehicle. So unless my bumper is hanging off, I’m not going through the hassle of looking through 30 clips to see someone just pulled into the spot next to mine or walked past the car. It’s not that serious.

?
How perspectives change in such a short time. When I bought the car neither of these features were available and I had zero expectations they would be added. They never even crossed my mind! All I did know was that Tesla did lots of over the air updates and my car would get better. So when I hear complaints about over the air updates that are free I am less prone to be overly critical. So yes your point about Sentry mode is well taken and I agree with you I'm just happy to have Sentry mode.

The only item that surprised me after delivery is the loss of range in the cold. I knew it would happen, it was in many TMC threads but the amount of range loss is more then I thought.

Reactions: idog63 and DrtyJrze