Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What was the extent of your experience with Model 3 before ORDERING?

Before plonking down $2.5K to go with my $1K, I...

• Test drove a Model 3 at a Tesla dealership

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Test drove one belonging to a third party

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Sat in one, but was not allowed to drive

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Saw one at the showroom, but did not get to sit in or drive

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Saw one in the wild

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Only saw it on YouTube, etc.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to go to a local Tesla meet up and sit in a model 3 in early February. However, I would have happily bought the car without seeing it in person or sitting in it.

BTW, the car has some "Je ne sais quoi" that is lost in photos. It is definitely a car that grabs your attention while not being a sports car or exotic. The drivers seat is great. If you have ever owned a car with sporty bolstered seats (not a racing seat, though), it is like that. The seat hugs you.

I was lucky enough to have a friend who is already a Tesla owner, so he got his 3 before my chance to order came up. I had a chnace to test drive his car before making the order.

That said, even with my previous vehicles I did most of the research on the internet and had the choice narrowed down quite a bit before ever taking a test drive.

I confirmed my order having never seen one in person. That wasn’t my original plan, but it was how it worked out. I figured if I hated it, that I was getting an early enough one that I could sell it for what I paid.

I have not gotten an invitation yet, so didn't vote in this poll. However I did sit in driver seat at a Tesla store. It was very impressive. I have read and viewed most reviews and it seems the car will meet our needs for a long range EV with high efficiency, sporty handling, and sufficient room. There are zero other competitive EV's available now which have the range and charging infrastructure of Tesla. The chances of me being unhappy with the actual driving experience are probably less than 5%. If a test drive opportunity comes up before configure time I will take it, but if not I will still configure. I understand why Tesla does not tie up a fleet of test drive vehicles at stores right now.

I do think I will do a Model S test drive next month, but I'm rather sure that car will be too large for my taste.

Made the trek out to a showroom that had one on display after I got the invite but before ordering. Sitting in it confirmed that I wanted one as opposed to another CPO S. I had been holding out for small battery, AWD, and white interior, but once those options were pushed back I ordered. Couldn't be happier.

"My" scenario (YouTube) is leading at 39% with 46 total respondents. I'll say it again: unreal.

I'll say this, too. This morning I went to check up on the charging station situation in my company's parking structure, and what is sitting in stall #1 (of 6) but a brand new Model 3 in Midnight Silver Metallic with 18’’ Aero Wheels. Also known as My Tesla.

Am I blown away by the look? No. I think I picked the best color, but the wheels look cheap or at the very least goofy. A bit like those high-end disc-like bike wheels, if you know what I mean. I think they look least bad with this particular color, so yay.

If I had seen this car before ordering, would it have changed my choices of options? Hardly. Would it have made me not want to buy the car? If I had been teetering 51/49, then maybe, yes. But I was not 51/49, so if anything, seeing someone else's little gray ugly duckling will help me feel more accepting of mine when she arrives.

Last edited:
Am I blown away by the look? No. I think I picked the best color, but the wheels look cheap or at the very least goofy. A bit like those high-end disc-like bike wheels, if you know what I mean. I think they look least bad with this particular color, so yay.
Take them off. I will likely pop them off for daily driving and only put them back on for road trips to get the 5-10% range gains back. The wheels look pretty good without the Aero hubcaps.

Reactions: DR61
Take them off. I will likely pop them off for daily driving and only put them back on for road trips to get the 5-10% range gains back. The wheels look pretty good without the Aero hubcaps.

IMG_20180422_162612.jpg

Reactions: DR61
Note that the previous picture is with the “Aero Wheel Cap Kit”. This is a $50 package from Tesla and is currently back ordered for 8 weeks. I submitted an order for this and a few NEMA adapters as soon as I configured my Model 3.

Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

As others said, I plan on running like this around town and with the aero covers installed on road trips.

Note that the previous picture is with the “Aero Wheel Cap Kit”. This is a $50 package from Tesla and is currently back ordered for 8 weeks. I submitted an order for this and a few NEMA adapters as soon as I configured my Model 3.

Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit

As others said, I plan on running like this around town and with the aero covers installed on road trips.
Thank you for the clarification. I might splurge as well. So I am not the only one who thinks the aerodynamic Aero wheels look cheap/goofy.