Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would happen if I hit Park while moving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that if you’re at very low speeds, say 5 mph and below, the car will come to a violent stop if you press P even once. At cruising speeds, it’ll make a beeping sound and you’ll keep moving.

In my opinion it is not a very good design to program the same push button as park on the right lever and one time wiper engage on the left lever.

I’d have programmed the right push button to engage TACC with one push and NOAP with two. And the entire lever when fully taken all the way up (past reverse/neutral) and held for two seconds would engage Park and Park brake.

Left lever isn’t also the greatest design. I’d program the left half push button to cycle through wiper speeds and full push to engage the windshield fluid sprayer. The on-screen would be only to toggle automatic vs manual wiper settings. Not cycle through speeds.

So this morning, while waiting at a red light, I intended to clean my windshield, but instead chose the wrong side and pushed in the 'park' button instead.
Made me wonder what would happen if I made the same mistake at full speed. Anyone?
I have done this while driving. You received a warning message and sound. Since you expected to see wipers you immediately realize it's the wrong side and no drama. As OP said, if you maintain pressure over 2 seconds then it triggers the emergency brake (rear mechanical) like any other car. Same happens when press and hold electronic brake button in newer ICE mobiles

Trying to activate the wipers I long pressed it while going fast with my model Y. It was actually pretty scary as the car tried to block the wheels and a loud mechanical sound was in until I release the button. I thought I damaged it but seems that everything is fine…hope so