Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would make you buy a used Model S right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More money. If I had a Model S, I'd need to have another reliable car for road trips. I know I'll get flamed for this, but long charging times, highway speeds killing battery range creating frequent stops, and crowded superchargers mean that to me, teslas are still city cars. For a tesla to be my only car, it would need to be able to recharge in about 10 minutes and have empty superchargers ready wherever I need one.

Same reason I might not buy the Model 3, although the lower cost leaves more money to buy a road trip ICE car.

WTH: I know everybody has their own perceived needs, but your statement about road trips is just plainly false. NOBODY, nobody drives a car nonstop for over three hours, especially on a road trip. That equates to about 180-210 miles. If you do, you have an incredible bladder control. People like to get out of the car and stretch their legs, hit the bathroom, and maybe grab a bite to eat after 1-2 hours of driving. And even though I know that some people have absolutely no patience, does taking a 20-30 minute break to charge your car really that much of an imposition? I know, you can fill up the gas tank in less than five minutes and then take a 20-30 minute break.....

People are traveling all over this country with their Tesla's and doing quite well, thank you. You'd better stay with an ICE if you have to charge an EV in 10 minutes and have empty superchargers waiting for you wherever you go. Get real!

Its going to come down to how many comfort features are going to be removed from the base/originally released version. If the model 3 doesn't come with memory seats, I'll have to pass. I know its such a small thing but it drives me crazy since my wife and I share a car now that doesn't have the feature.
By the way the Bolt lacks that feature as well.....

***I reserve the right to back peddle any time***

Can we at least see the seat settings (angle, height, etc.) on the central display? Yeah, there will be three potential drivers in my household. :)

=====

Is this 4-year CPO like the original warranty coverage?

Tesla’s new batches of used cars are selling ludicrously fast
As we reported last week, Tesla introduced a new kind of warranty for certified pre-owned cars (CPO), a term the company abandoned for simply ‘used cars’, and with it, it made available new batches of relatively high-mileage vehicles for new record low prices. When it comes to the Model S at least.

WTH: I know everybody has their own perceived needs, but your statement about road trips is just plainly false. NOBODY, nobody drives a car nonstop for over three hours, especially on a road trip. That equates to about 180-210 miles. If you do, you have an incredible bladder control. People like to get out of the car and stretch their legs, hit the bathroom, and maybe grab a bite to eat after 1-2 hours of driving. And even though I know that some people have absolutely no patience, does taking a 20-30 minute break to charge your car really that much of an imposition? I know, you can fill up the gas tank in less than five minutes and then take a 20-30 minute break.....

People are traveling all over this country with their Tesla's and doing quite well, thank you. You'd better stay with an ICE if you have to charge an EV in 10 minutes and have empty superchargers waiting for you wherever you go. Get real!
I guess I'm nobody then.

Reactions: slipnslider

Charging can turn a 7 hour road trip into a 10 hour roadtrip. That's a significant difference. Buying the biggest battery will help, but how many people can afford that? The Model3 will be the first EV many can afford. A base model at75mph (typical road trip speed) running AC will be lucky to hit 175 miles. That's less than 2.5 hours on the road at a time, followed by 30-45 minutes sitting playing with your phone while you charge, if you can find an empty supercharger that functions at full speed.

Plus you're stuck at whatever place they put the charger at, whether or not you want to be there, or if it even has decent food. I know more chargers will slowly appear, but that's the current situation.

Currently, teslas are not road trip cars, except for people who don't mind getting their slowly and planning their trips carefully.

I eagerly await a future where electric roadtrips are as easy and quick as ICE roadtrips, but let's not act like that day is today.

Pack a cooler with some snacks. Bring your walking shoes and get some circulation going on those stops.

The new batteries will allow for much faster charging. That 30-45 minutes could easily be 20 or less soon.

My current road-trip vehicle gets over 600 miles to the tank, so way fewer stops. But I'm so uncomfortable and stressed by the time I get there I don't tend to enjoy it very much.

However, I agree with the above sentiment, if you're expecting ICE parity for long distance trips, stick with an ICE. As a LEAF owner and frequent EV Ride and Drive co-pilot, I don't even engage when people start with the "but my car can go 300 miles..." stuff. Look at the specifications/limitations. If you can't live with them, don't buy the car.

Currently, teslas are not road trip cars, except for people who don't mind getting their slowly and planning their trips carefully.

I eagerly await a future where electric roadtrips are as easy and quick as ICE roadtrips, but let's not act like that day is today.

While I agree to a point with your sentiment that there is still a long way to go, consider this:

Already a road trip with a Tesla is more akin to that same road trip with an ICE car than it is to another type of EV. That's a heck of a lot of progress in an extremely short amount of time.

If people had the option of stopping for gas but if they could choose to stop for one hour and it was free or nearly free vs. normal price a whole lot of people would make longer pit stops. Think it's just speculation? Go look at the lines to save $.20/gallon at Costco some time. That's frequently a 30 minute stop right there, and you have to sit in the d#mn car!

On most of my frequent long distance drives I have my "favorite" stops that I use almost every time, and I'm hardly the exception. People are creatures of habit. It's little change in behavior to stop at the supercharger instead of your "favorite" gas stop.

I doubt charging will ever be, or really even needs to be, quite as fast as pumping dino fuel. However, I'm sure that still won't ever be enough to keep the dedicated from splitting hairs anyway.

Reactions: DR61 and lukex4
Charging can turn a 7 hour road trip into a 10 hour roadtrip. That's a significant difference. Buying the biggest battery will help, but how many people can afford that? The Model3 will be the first EV many can afford. A base model at75mph (typical road trip speed) running AC will be lucky to hit 175 miles. That's less than 2.5 hours on the road at a time, followed by 30-45 minutes sitting playing with your phone while you charge, if you can find an empty supercharger that functions at full speed.

Plus you're stuck at whatever place they put the charger at, whether or not you want to be there, or if it even has decent food. I know more chargers will slowly appear, but that's the current situation.

The Bolt says Hi...

What I think we need for ICE parity is a 650-mile battery while using a moderate amount of heat or A/C. That's 8 hours of driving at 65 mph with a 25% buffer. That and abundant destination charging capable of a full charge overnight. That's roughly double the range of what is out there today. And we need it at a price that's comparable to the base Model 3. So the batteries need to be roughly 1/3 the weight and bulk of today's batteries for the same capacity, and they need to be 1/6 the cost per kWh.

Because in addition to the issues of charging time is the fact that gas stations are way more abundant than chargers, and superchargers at present are located only on main highways, and will need to expand to keep pace with the number of EVs on the road. The lack of any superchargers on the secondary roads on my once-a-year summer trip is the only reason I still keep my stinker. Put those superchargers in today, and I'll buy a CPO Model S tomorrow. (And probably trade it in for a Model 3 when available.)

Charging can turn a 7 hour road trip into a 10 hour roadtrip. That's a significant difference.

That's a bit of a stretch. It's closer to 8. A 7 hour drive in an ICE would require 2 recharges with a 75 battery and that's without getting the battery very low. Add 30-45 minutes per stop at most. The difference being, you will feel much better when you get to your destination with the longer stops. Between that and the TACC I hate taking our ICE cars on the interstate anymore.

As an example, it's 6 hours to Louisville from where I am. If I took the Tesla it would be 6.75, same route.

On the topic: A minimum 70D w/AP1(for TACC), preferably no more than 60k miles and not brown or white at ~ $40k. AWD is a necessity for it to be my only car.

The extra space for road trips would be nicer than the 3 along with free supercharging.

Would this be a good time for me to mention my Volt gives me the best of both worlds? Daily commute/many miles EV but I use gas stations of the long trips or need range quickly.

Hey if the i-Pace people can clog up the Model 3 forum with a unicorn, why not me with a real car? :p:D
I'm glad that the Volt works for you, but I will not purchase another vehicle with an ICE in it ever again, so it puts the Volt out of the running for me. :)

It would have to be a very good deal, as both my wife and I think it's bigger than we would like. Granted one of our cars is a Sprinter van, but it is configured as a cargo van and doubles as a steel tent on vacations. But, the other is a Kia and we really love it's size and turning radius. We have both driven compact or sub-compact cars for decades. The biggest car I've owned before the van was a 1969 Volvo 145.

And it would have to be blue.

It would have to be a very good deal, as both my wife and I think it's bigger than we would like. Granted one of our cars is a Sprinter van, but it is configured as a cargo van and doubles as a steel tent on vacations. But, the other is a Kia and we really love it's size and turning radius. We have both driven compact or sub-compact cars for decades. The biggest car I've owned before the van was a 1969 Volvo 145.

And it would have to be blue.
I'm also not a big car guy, but the turning radius on the Model S is highly impressive. Just took another test drive a few weekends ago and the OA had me make a u turn on an empty street to show off. It turns tighter than my LEAF and maybe even better than my old Civics. It's not something I've done on previous test drives. This OA just seemed to know the car better than others I have met with and I actually learned stuff from him.

I have a 2015 Leaf, a reservation for model 3 and my wife has a CX-5 2016. I picked a S85 2014: red, dual chargers, winter and tech package with panoramic roof for 59K CAD (44K USD). I would like to change the CX-5 but would lose much. It's also great to have AWD and to pin a trailer on it!

I love my Leaf and not because I would like to use it 100% of times. Have to drive at 90Km/h for 1:30 hour every weekend then charge and come back at same pace, it's long! Not being able to do more than 70Km in january-february. Also, we don't have much chargers here. I know I'll be angry not being able to take car on family vacations cause of lack of space.

Yes I would love AP and AWD but If I have to let the 3 in the garage when we leave for vacations...