Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would/will you pay for heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assumed it wouldn't be the beta, but I was unaware the visualisations were available.

It's only a few of the newer visualisations and will not necessarily be representative of the full FSD package when released. When activated in the settings it shows things like traffic cones, wheely bins and pedestrians and traffic lights and some road markings etc. We all went crazy when our cars first started recognising traffic cones having been confess previously (simple times, and not so long ago) ... you can imagine how it transformed our lives ;).

Holy crap that is some version number... 2020.39.104.2.1

I definitely think that this confirms that this hasn't yet been activated in "mainline" firmware. I suspect it's probably coming very soon though. I would also assume that these MY21 cars won't update to the "current" 2021.4.x in the short term.

That definitely looks like a possibility at this stage, if the new wheel is a standard part then it's also worth noting that SR+ deliveries today are not showing a heated steering wheel or an option to upgrade (cf. introduction of heated rear seats in SR+).

Holy crap that is some version number... 2020.39.104.2.1

I definitely think that this confirms that this hasn't yet been activated in "mainline" firmware. I suspect it's probably coming very soon though. I would also assume that these MY21 cars won't update to the "current" 2021.4.x in the short term.

That definitely looks like a possibility at this stage, if the new wheel is a standard part then it's also worth noting that SR+ deliveries today are not showing a heated steering wheel or an option to upgrade (cf. introduction of heated rear seats in SR+).

I don't think the version number on a delivery vehicle is anything odd. Our 2019 car got delivered with 2019.15.107 which is basically what the factory was installing at the time and hadn't been updated for the delivery. The evening that we got our car it updated to 2019.32.2.2 (v9) and the next evening to 2019.32.11 (early V10 releases). I wouldn't even be concerned that a freshly delivered car didn't update soon after getting it - there are still many here still waiting on the first of the 2021 releases which are ~3 weeks old by the looks of it.

I could certainly see that v11 will bring some new functionality wrt more subscription models (ie FSD) which may affect what SR owners might see if that is the same as when SR was first introduced and heated rear seats only added as a subscription at a much later date.

Ok, I've just had a long discussion with Tesla about the heated steering wheel, centred around me wanting to source one. There is a mixture of good and bad news, depending on your current situation.

Here is what the discussion basically revealed, some of which is known already:
  • MIC cars being delivered now, including SR+, have the heated steering wheel part. The tech ran two undelivered MY21 VINs (LR and SR+) through the internal system and both returned the heated steering wheel part. Since the EU M3P is being made in China now it's a given it will also have it.

• Since MY21 SR+s do not have an activated heated steering wheel, it is believed that it will be made available at some point as an OTA upgrade (probably paid, like rear heated seats).

• The UK EPC lists two different parts for the steering wheel assembly - 1095222-90-O (M3 - SW ASSY, PUR) and 1490214-CN-B (M3Y - HEAT SW ASSY, PUR MadeInChina). The tech was "99% certain" that the steering wheel part being supplied on MIC cars is the latter. My VIN (March 2020) returned an older part revision of the 1095222-90-X version only.

• The principal reason for this belief is that 1490214-CN-B costs £812.50 + VAT and 1095222-90-O costs £395.83 + VAT. The price disparity suggests that the other steering wheel does not having the heating hardware.

• The tech believed that this also meant that pre-MIC manufactured cars DO NOT have the heating components in them, even if they are "one piece with no cuts" with metal scroll wheels. The tech confirmed that 1095222-90-O is the latest non-heated version of the steering wheel, that looks the same as the MIC one externally.

• The tech did not believe that I could just install the steering wheel and that heating would magically appear. He said that the car would need to have the option coded to it. I presume if any kind of retrofit is possible on pre-MY21 cars it would involve buying the wheel, getting it fitted AND getting the option coded and/or buying it in the app if it appears.

I've ordered a MIC steering wheel just to do a little experiment. :) I don't expect it will work, but might as well see what happens. Worst case scenario I've paid a silly amount of money just to get metal scroll wheels and no cuts in the leather.

Ok, I've just had a long discussion with Tesla about the heated steering wheel, centred around me wanting to source one. There is a mixture of good and bad news, depending on your current situation.

• MIC cars being delivered now, including SR+, have the heated steering wheel part. The tech ran two undelivered MY21 VINs (LR and SR+) through the internal system and both returned the heated steering wheel part. Since the EU M3P is being made in China now it's a given it will also have it.

• Since MY21 SR+s do not have an activated heated steering wheel, it is believed that it will be made available at some point as an OTA upgrade (probably paid, like rear heated seats).

• The UK EPC lists two different parts for the steering wheel assembly - 1095222-90-O (M3 - SW ASSY, PUR) and 1490214-CN-B (M3Y - HEAT SW ASSY, PUR MadeInChina). The tech was "99% certain" that the steering wheel part being supplied on MIC cars is the latter. My VIN (March 2020) returned an older part revision of the 1095222-90-X version only.

• The principal reason for this belief is that 1490214-CN-B costs £812.50 + VAT and 1095222-90-O costs £395.83 + VAT. The price disparity suggests that the other steering wheel does not having the heating hardware.

• The tech believed that this also meant that pre-MIC manufactured cars DO NOT have the heating components in them, even if they are "one piece with no cuts" with metal scroll wheels. The tech confirmed that 1095222-90-O is the latest non-heated version of the steering wheel, that looks the same as the MIC one externally.

• The tech did not believe that I could just install the steering wheel and that heating would magically appear. He said that the car would need to have the option coded to it. I presume if any kind of retrofit is possible on pre-MY21 cars it would involve buying the wheel, getting it fitted AND getting the option coded and/or buying it in the app if it appears.

I've ordered a MIC steering wheel just to do a little experiment. :) I don't expect it will work, but might as well see what happens. Worst case scenario I've paid a silly amount of money just to get metal scroll wheels and no cuts in the leather.
Thanks for the research. As with most retrofits on most cars it's not surprising that for any items controlled electronically, you need to do an update to the vehicle order to specify the options that the MCU thinks the car was shipped with.

FWIW, If you ever fancied starting your own YT channel, whereby your focus was on retrofitting every hardware update that the newer models come with and detailing the costs involved, I'd totally be a patreon :)

Thanks for the research. As with most retrofits on most cars it's not surprising that for any items controlled electronically, you need to do an update to the vehicle order to specify the options that the MCU thinks the car was shipped with.

FWIW, If you ever fancied starting your own YT channel, whereby your focus was on retrofitting every hardware update that the newer models come with and detailing the costs involved, I'd totally be a patreon :)
I'm flattered. :) To be honest, I'm just very on it in terms of researching it. I am not hands on at all, really. I have the parts to USB-C retrofit my car in a box for a few months because I've been anxious about dismantling the centre console, even though I know it's not that big of a job. My car is in warranty and I don't have any intention of doing anything crazy with it.

Holy crap, that's some delta.
Yeah, he said he couldn't think of a good reason for such a big difference for what is likely just a heating element and slight harness change, but I guess it is what it is.

Random thought: did the switch to metal scroll wheels happen due to the heated steering wheel? Probably a better material than rubber to be near a heating element
Not sure.. the sense I got from the tech was that it was just coincidental. It could perhaps have been told with one eye on that being a future development, or it could have been purely for aesthetics.

Thermal imaging shows that the heated part of the wheel is just the circular vegan leather part.

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio

I love a retrofit and will be watching this closely, although £812.50 +VAT seems excessive. Did you have to call / email to get prices as from EPC all I get is £0

Yeah had to call to get those prices.

I had imagined the steering wheel would be circa ~£500, maybe £600. £975 inc VAT was higher than I expected. :(

Assuming it is a straightforward fit, I would probably try and have a moan to Tesla about activating it free of charge, on the basis I would assume the app upgrade cost is probably going to be ~£300 or so, based on the cost of heated seats.

Yeah had to call to get those prices.

I had imagined the steering wheel would be circa ~£500, maybe £600. £975 inc VAT was higher than I expected. :(

Assuming it is a straightforward fit, I would probably try and have a moan to Tesla about activating it free of charge, on the basis I would assume the app upgrade cost is probably going to be ~£300 or so, based on the cost of heated seats.
I hope it works out for you and you don't need to track a ship for it to arrive.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel

More Tesla weirdness? Seems like an odd thing to change the design for one quarter, then again for the next, but I guess that's Tesla all over.

I wonder what will be next? I predict the windscreen to be given 100% tint for one quarter to encourage purchasing of FSD, or 27" wheels that don't fit in the arches because: Tesla.

It seems Fremont cars are coming with heated steering wheels now (3 and Y). The US EPC shows an extra steering wheel part for them too. Interestingly it’s very slightly different to the MIC one, but is clearly the same “type”.

There is a chance that some Fremont cars that came over late might have that part, but it seems in the main there was a specific crossover point - when cars started being made in China.

Quick update, been talking to the Tesla mobile tech (who is brilliant) in my area, who whilst initially was quite positive about the concept of coding the wheel once installed, etc, finally replied with:

...currently this is not a retrofit that Tesla offer and whilst the wheel may fit the function of it is not enabled on your vehicle. That’s not to say that it wont become a retrofit option in the future but currently it not something we offer, keep on eye on the upgrades section of the app as any upgrades that become available will be on there.

So that does throw a spanner in the works somewhat, as it seems likely it would need Tesla's cooperation to actually enable the heated steering wheel option on my car. Hopefully they'll be more acquiescent towards it once it's become an official OTA upgrade (for MY21 MIC SR+ owners)