Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would/will you pay for heated steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it looks like the refresh models do contain the hardware for heated steering wheel given there’s been a confirmation of it appearing in the underlying M3 software.

Let’s just assume it’s there and not activated, what would you pay to..

turn on forever
Turn on for a monthly payment

I would be surprised if the hardware was already present in currently shipping cars and they just hadn't activated it. Heated wheel is standard on the S so they would already have the nuts and bolts of the code already so I cannot see software being an issue. I suspect that references to it in source code are like references to 5G connectivity - something for the future for when the hardware comes along. Maybe the plan was for it to be here, but had supply issue and it will just filter in to production vehicles as and when.

That said, Tesla introduced the heated rear seat option for the SR+, so its has got some form, but at that time, the seats were standard in the Premium Interior vehicles. I would have thought a heated steering wheel was a similar feature being standard on the premium interior cars, So that model already exists, but not in subscription form.

I suspect its one for when the price increase kicks in.

let’s say you didn’t spec it in your trim level but were happy to pay during winter months only?

As a reference, iirc that heated rear seats were around £300 for lifetime. Lets say £150 for lifetime steering wheel. I really hope we are not going to see the start of subscription or pay by use models for this type of thing. You may well end up with the cost of using the steering wheel heater costing more than the cost of the energy for the whole journey.

But then, Tesla have been known to do things differently.

Last edited:
Other manufacturers often charge smaller amounts for extras like heated steering wheels, matts, car play etc... I also see Tesla wanting to have as few options as possible so they can sell cars on boats as they currently do.

So the software provides a way of doing both, providing options but charging extra if needed. And the subscriptions is the next step to make it seem cheap enough.

I guess the big big big problem, is the perceived or expectation that a car that cost quite a lot of money already doesn't come with something quite basic, and more money is needed as a consequence.

Personally, I already think the extra £10 a month for full connectivity on a model 3 is a bit on the steep side compared to data only sims available (which in essence is what it is), if they do the same with other options like heated steering wheels, then I doubt I'd buy for anything but the coldest couple of months of the year.

But that is also where the strength of something like that an a monthly subscription works well, pay for it only when you need/use it. The price still needs to be right though.

I don't think it's in the hardware already either.

i think this is another "heated charge port", i.e. it's in the 2021 car now, but it wasn't when it was "found" in the software.

I had previously read that the heated steering wheel wasn't ready for the refresh, and would be "due December", but I can't find the source now.

There are a load of voice commands that are recognised but not supported with hardware or software at this point:

Tesla Voice Commands

Check out the 'future' category.

These include things like opening the doors, raising the headrest and farting in your general direction(?). Some are specific to certain models of course. Also, some of the voice commands have been around since the start of the year.

I'm not convinced that the recognition of a voice command is an indication that new functionality will be available any time soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57 and Durzel