Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Wanted to get a couple opinions on a pick up issue. Ordered a new black model Y on 10/9. Today is my delivery day. Called local service center to confirm all good for pickup. They went and checked and came back to state there is a small dent on left front fender. They want to have their body shop fix it and pick up later in the week. They sent me a picture about an in or so across. I leaning towards “please send me a new one”. However this would mess up trade timing quote etc. What would you do? Needless to say my happy pickup day has been ruined.

If they are going to fix it up to good as new, just go over it at delivery and examine it before taking the car. IF it meets your satisfaction go for it, if not, then you can reject delivery. These things happen with cars in transit, especially with Tesla. Sad but it's the reality of ramping production and delivery.

Depends what you mean by a small dent. Ideally, it would be something that can be fixed with paintless dent removal like what DentPro does. If so, I’d keep the car.

If the problem requires a new fender and/or a respray, I’d be more inclined to get a new car.

Third option could be to do nothing. My 3 came with something on the left fender. I suspect it’s the glue that’s used between frame panels cause it is stuck! Gives the car a little character.

5A908F2A-BE8A-4BDB-9A7C-64121FBED5F9.jpeg

Reactions: jpfive
If you've made arrangements and they give you written confirmation (i.e., a due bill) that the repair will be made (and, preferably, that you will get a loaner while it's in the shop), I would say get the car and have them fix it. Depending on how fine-toothed your comb is, you may be taking it in for fit/finish issues after delivery anyway. Also, black MYs do not seem to have the paint mismatch problems of other colors, so I wouldn't be too worried about a repaint or replacement panel.

After I took delivery of mine, I realized that there was a decent-size stamping defect in the trunk hatch, aside from the normal minor issues. The tech ordered a new hatch before my appointment, so it was there when I dropped off the car and it's good as new.

It’s about 2 inches across and fairly deep along with scratches. Plus it’s near the edge and the molding is separating near the spot so seems like it was hit pretty good.

Tesla won't have ass the repair. If they see an issue and fix it you likely will never know it was there. I had damage on my car which wasn't even fixed before my pickup and I had to take it to the SC to fix everything, but now you never would have known

Reactions: 907XCP
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Agree, there will be dings, but those are expected and by me. I didn’t expect a brand new car to be in a body shop before I picked it up lol. Maybe too big of expectation lol. For, Tesla’s part completely honest and transparent which is what I would always expect. Definitely not mad at them, they handled well. Just disappointed.

Reactions: MrWattson
Depends what you mean by a small dent. Ideally, it would be something that can be fixed with paintless dent removal like what DentPro does. If so, I’d keep the car.

If the problem requires a new fender and/or a respray, I’d be more inclined to get a new car.

Third option could be to do nothing. My 3 came with something on the left fender. I suspect it’s the glue that’s used between frame panels cause it is stuck! Gives the car a little character.

View attachment 604792

It's got a lil beauty mark.

• Funny
Reactions: Koolio46
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Agree, there will be dings, but those are expected and by me. I didn’t expect a brand new car to be in a body shop before I picked it up lol. Maybe too big of expectation lol. For, Tesla’s part completely honest and transparent which is what I would always expect. Definitely not mad at them, they handled well. Just disappointed.
This happens all the time to new cars, the difference is that most dealers fix all these things before putting the car on the lot so you never know about it.