Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What your insurance quote you for Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smilepak

May 11, 2015
SoCal, CA
I am trying to do a insurance comparison against covered. I called Ameriprise and they quoted me $1200 per 6 months. I can add GAP Insurance for additional $42 per year. Deductible is $500.00

The coverage is

100/300 Bodily Injury
100 property damage
5k medical expense
100/300 uninsured motorist
100/300 Collison & Comprehensive

That is already discounted for multi-car, Costco, good driving record, etc.,

What is your insurance charging you and what is your coverage?

BTW: That quote was based upon the gave them a mileage of 30 miles per day for 4 days a week.

I am trying to do a insurance comparison against covered. I called Ameriprise and they quoted me $1200 per 6 months. I can add GAP Insurance for additional $42 per year. Deductible is $500.00

The coverage is

100/300 Bodily Injury
100 property damage
5k medical expense
100/300 uninsured motorist
100/300 Collison & Comprehensive

That is already discounted for multi-car, Costco, good driving record, etc.,

What is your insurance charging you and what is your coverage?

BTW: That quote was based upon the gave them a mileage of 30 miles per day for 4 days a week.

I think your Collision/comprehensive is unlikely 100/300, but rather value of the car.

Quote from my State Farm agent for $86k 70D in Orange County, CA was $718 per 6 months based on estimated 12k miles/yr, probably dropping to $600 at first renewal when mileage is verified.
$250k/$500k liability
$100k property damage
$250k/$500k liability uninsured motorist
$500 collision deductible
$100 comprehensive deductible

House and two other vehicles also insured with State Farm

Thanks. You might be right on the collision/comprehensive.

I wonder if my quote was random because I don't have a VIN to give them. I gave them the value of the Tesla 70D @ 80k.

Your rate was 1/2 of what they quoted me too. Interesting....

Coming from an agent, comparing your quote vs someone else is very tricky. It has SO many variables that go into it. The carrier, your driving history, credit (a big one), whether or not they insure your home, etc etc. So for one person it might be $2k a year and the other might be $1k per year, with the same agent and insurance company.

I've seen numbers all over the place. Insurance companies are still getting a handle on how to write and properly rate the Tesla, and I can tell you that it is still in its infancy. About half of my carriers (I'm an independent) won't even write the Model S. The ones that do, the rates for my own Model S fluctuated wildly.

A little biased here, but I always advocate checking with your local independent agent. No reason to go to an ice cream shop that only sells one flavor.

Coming from an agent, comparing your quote vs someone else is very tricky. It has SO many variables that go into it. The carrier, your driving history, credit (a big one), whether or not they insure your home, etc etc. So for one person it might be $2k a year and the other might be $1k per year, with the same agent and insurance company.

I've seen numbers all over the place. Insurance companies are still getting a handle on how to write and properly rate the Tesla, and I can tell you that it is still in its infancy. About half of my carriers (I'm an independent) won't even write the Model S. The ones that do, the rates for my own Model S fluctuated wildly.

A little biased here, but I always advocate checking with your local independent agent. No reason to go to an ice cream shop that only sells one flavor.

Not all states are allowed to include a credit check in the cars insurance quote (from what I've heard/read).

And I agree about using an independent agent. I got a good deal on housing insurance, but he wasn't able to come close to my car insurance and me to go with what I was offered for renewal.

Thanks. You might be right on the collision/comprehensive.

I wonder if my quote was random because I don't have a VIN to give them. I gave them the value of the Tesla 70D @ 80k.

Your rate was 1/2 of what they quoted me too. Interesting....

I also didn't have a VIN yet, just price, equipment and model/year. If you are talking to a carrier with which you don't already do business, ask the regional manager who his best, most eager agent is. You want someone who is actively growing his/her book of business. That one will work to get your business.

- - - Updated - - -

Coming from an agent, comparing your quote vs someone else is very tricky. It has SO many variables that go into it. The carrier, your driving history, credit (a big one), whether or not they insure your home, etc etc.

Don't forget zip code. Orange county rates for any vehicle are generally lower than in LA county, I think.

The rough quote we were given for the MX was $1680/6 months. I'm not sure of the exact coverage, but it's similar to what we have on our current vehicles. This was through AmFam, and they cover all our assets.

It should be noted that they didn't even have the Model S in their system, and they had to call me back a few days later with the quote.