Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whatever Happened to the "Full Voice Control" For the 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is called assuming facts not in evidence :)

The fact they very routinely miss deadlines for software features/updates, and there are extremely basic features lots of owners have asked for for years they still don't have (a stop charging time for example, or anything beyond the most basic of voice commands) suggests it's not actually a fact either.
True, I made an assumption but I felt pretty sure I was safe doing so. Unless they have one programmer, working all alone on one project at a time .... probably in a cube in the basement, behind a door that says, don't feed after midnight ... :D

• Funny
Reactions: pipestem
Software comes in a release with a lot of bug fixes and features bundled together. Every new feature introduces more testing required, more bugs to be found and fixed, and other overhead related to making the release happen.
So it usually isn't as simple as "that is another project that has no impact on this feature". There tends to be impact to everyone when other features are being added. At a minimum, consider that the other features are taking up QA resources that could have otherwise helped with an advanced voice control project.

I have the suspicion that Tesla either has a 20% rule like Google or 3M has (that's what gave us GMail and Post-it notes) and the games and easter eggs are coded in that time or they're using the implementation of these gimmicks as on-boarding process for new developers. I think the latter one is rather clever - most of these things don't require massive effort but will teach a new employee the software development lifecycle really well.

And if the gimmick doesn't work out, it gets quietly scrapped, with nobody disappointed.

Reactions: APotatoGod
yes it does. you are talking about real people. there are finite hours in the day. there are finite numbers of programmers. somethings got to give. programmers get real testy about requirements.
True, but I was commenting on the assumption that many people seem to have that they can only work on one thing at a time and that programming the fart noises precluded anything else. Does it take resources away from something else, probably. But isn't taking away from everything else. And, you can only throw so many resources at an issue before you have too many.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I don't know about full voice control for the Model 3, that sounds like a pipe-dream, future thing. But voice control could be A LOT MORE USEFUL than it presently is. I find searching menus for things and looking for a specific option on a huge screen SO DISTRACTING while driving. And the problem with touch screens is that the controls aren't tactile like they are in a traditional dashboard where the controls have nobs. So fix this by having real voice control. Here are some ideas about this, and I've emailed Tesla to provide feedback and hopefully someone in Engineering pays attention :). (like to [email protected])

*** Voice command should manage more things besides playing a radio station and making a telephone call — so you don’t have to use the screen for essentials while driving.

IF you engage voice command, you should be able to do it without looking at the screen, such as using a keyword, like on a mobile phone.

ALSO voice feedback should be a configurable option for alerts so that you don’t just get an audible noise and a message on a data full screen and you have to READ what is wrong…. Geez, that means taking your eyes off the road for an alert! A voice option would have it speak to you with alerts and warnings as well as the visual feedback! That would be safer.

RELATED to the use of VOICE is: article in FastCompany 5/30/19 co.design
“3 reasons why Tesla’s dashboard touch screens suck”
I think the articles points are well taken, such as the lack of haptic feedback makes it difficult to invoke controls without looking at the screen which is also situated awkwardly forcing the driver to take their eyes off the road.

A lot of these objections to touchscreens would be fixed if Tesla put effort into a more robust vocal assistant.
A user SHOULD BE able to use voice for simple operations such as:

adjusting the climate temp up/down

Adjusting fan speeds up/down

driving modes like following distance, or speed settings, mirror adjustment

setting simple toggle commands on/off like lights, wipers, etc.

Change audio inputs, favorite stations, or mute the audio completely

There are many logical on/off options that are bad when you take your eyes off the road —

All of which would be much safer if you could operate them by talking to your car!!

Reactions: OUengineer
:)It looks like the voice commands are being enhanced with the upcoming 20.40.50 software release. I don’t have that version yet, but the release notes posted on some Tesla news sites say this:

Voice commands have been rebuilt to understand natural language. For this initial release, we focused on commands that minimize having to touch the screen so you can keep your eyes on the road. […]
  • Climate: “Set the temperature to 70” — “Turn on the passenger seat heater”
  • Vehicle: “Adjust my right mirror” — “Open the glovebox” […]

Early on everyone was worked up about having to touch the screen while driving all the time, so asked for voice commands. Other UI enhancements and button wheel changes have negated need for a lot of those things in my opinion. I rarely touch the screen while driving now. Maybe Tesla saw that with others and lowered the priority for new voice commands. They would still be cool, but I no longer consider them critical.

Has it really improved that much or are you just more used to it?

I catch myself once or twice a week going eyes down for a few seconds to make a change, and then being angry with myself that I took my eyes of the road for so long...

Has it really improved that much or are you just more used to it?

I catch myself once or twice a week going eyes down for a few seconds to make a change, and then being angry with myself that I took my eyes of the road for so long...
I got used to it. Most things are set it and forget, controlled on the steering wheel, or defaults in my user profile. With the new voice commands, I’ll force myself to learn and use them. Altogether, I think screen distraction can be a non issue for anyone interested now.