Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyones insurance renewals this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My renewal cost £1500, that's with 1 driver (me), £1000 total excess (compulsory + voluntary combined). 14k miles a year with mixture of business and personal use, 4 years No Claims.

I am 35 years old and an IT professional with no criminal convictions, but I have 1 at-fault claim within the last 5 years (not counted by current insurer but some still use it when I look for better deals elsewhere) and 2 speeding offences that got added this year. I overtook someone on a 60 speed limit road who was trundling along at 45... I didn't realise I hit 70 mph while overtaking him, right past a camera! The other was me doing 80 mph on the M5 through Bristol at 11 pm... road was empty and didn't think the cameras would care... they did!

I live in a suburban area with some light industrial units nearby. There's a few other Teslas around and other EVs/premium vehicles, but it's not a safe, sleepy village by any means - I live on the outskirts of a city with all the associated crime, break ins that are associated with such places. My car is parked on a private driveway though.

Last year my insurance premium was around £1400 and I really hoped it would go down this year but the 2 speeding offences definitely did not help with that!

Last edited:
My renewal cost £1500, that's with 1 driver (me), £1000 total excess (compulsory + voluntary combined). 14k miles a year with mixture of business and personal use, 4 years No Claims.

I am 35 years old and an IT professional with no criminal convictions, but I have 1 at-fault claim within the last 5 years (not counted by current insurer but some still use it when I look for better deals elsewhere) and 2 speeding offences that got added this year. I overtook someone on a 60 speed limit road who was trundling along at 45... I didn't realise I hit 70 mph while overtaking him, right past a camera! The other was me doing 80 mph on the M5 through Bristol at 11 pm... road was empty and didn't think the cameras would care... they did!

I live in a suburban area with some light industrial units nearby. There's a few other Teslas around and other EVs/premium vehicles, but it's not a safe, sleepy village by any means - I live on the outskirts of a city with all the associated crime, break ins that are associated with such places. My car is parked on a private driveway though.

Last year my insurance premium was around £1400 and I really hoped it would go down this year but the 2 speeding offences definitely did not help with that!
It may seem counter-intuitive but it can be an advantage to add another driver to the policy ... spouse probably gets the best results but any partner on there may well help. I presume they must have stats that show single males have a higher accident risk.

Just insured my M3LR with Direct Line.

Previously had a company car, so insurance dealt with for me.

Safe postcode, car kept on drive, 10k miles a year, social / domestic only. 10 years NCD from company car, fully comp, £250 excess. Myself + SWMBO insured to drive.

£325/annum.

Reactions: greenbottle123
It may seem counter-intuitive but it can be an advantage to add another driver to the policy ... spouse probably gets the best results but any partner on there may well help. I presume they must have stats that show single males have a higher accident risk.

I used to have my 78 year old mother on it but now she actually makes it more expensive!

I’m working on getting the spouse…

How on earth is everyone getting these prices of £300-£500?

My cheapest was £1,900!

Brand new Y LR
Central London
In my 40s with 12 years NCB / clean license.

Nauseating.
I am 48 inside North Circular and cheapest I could find on the comparrison sites was £1600, Peugeot was £900, had them from the Model 3 I had prev so just renewed. M3 LR was bit over £500 with them prev, so its still double basically for a slightly slower car!

I went for 45.

But yes, age still a controlling factor it would seem.

But Central London is the killer.
I got a test quote for a new Polestar 2, same list price and it was £900.

Those cars are just as bespoke, expensive to repair and easier to steal. It’s becoming clear there’s a Tesla Tax going on amongst insurers and there’s no way to regulate this even though it’s way out of order.

I got a test quote for a new Polestar 2, same list price and it was £900.

Those cars are just as bespoke, expensive to repair and easier to steal. It’s becoming clear there’s a Tesla Tax going on amongst insurers and there’s no way to regulate this even though it’s way out of order.
It's really not a simple as a 'Tesla Tax' conspiracy theory.

I was considering a dual motor Polestar 2 before placing an order for the M3LR currently sitting on my drive. It was (marginally) more expensive to insure.

My old Honda, with an agreed 6-figure guaranteed value clause, is cheaper than both the Tesla and the Polestar to insure.