Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what's new with Tesla firmware 2.11.54

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service center installed 2.10.71 in my S last week. Apparently 2.11.54 came out the next day.

However, I did see a post elsewhere from someone who just had 2.11.54 installed at the service center. The only change he noted was improved regenerative braking at colder temperatures.

I also saw elsewhere that following a report from Consumer Reports about an issue with Summon, Elon Musk said a new version of the software should be out within a few days to address the issue. So maybe 2.11.54 will be obsolete very soon.

As for nagging. Easy to get rid of. Just do what the nags ask you to do (i.e. keep hands on wheel) and the nags disappear. :)

Mine is in the SC overnight and I am looking forward to whatever they download.

edit:

How funny. I just got a notification about a new SW being available. So I went to my app and I can tell that they are working on my car right now at 9PM. The doors they are working on are open and I actually saw one close.

Pretty cool.

Last edited:
How funny. I just got a notification about a new SW being available. So I went to my app and I can tell that they are working on my car right now at 9PM. The doors they are working on are open and I actually saw one close.

Pretty cool.

This kind of thing is so awesome it just blows my mind. Similar experience...I have my car in for its annual servicing...this afternoon I got a notification on my phone for a new software version, then 22 minutes later another notification that the update was complete. Clearly they were putting a new version of software on my car, and I wanted to see what exactly it was. The closest thing I had available was a terminal window on my laptop, so I logged into a FreeBSD server where I'm running teslams and had it query for the vehicle information. About a second later I was staring at a blob of JSON that says (among other things) that my car is now running 2.11.54. They put it on a charger this evening, so says my phone.

Being able to see all this in real time is amazing.

(I'll be picking the car up from the SC tomorrow, so I don't have any information to add about 2.11.54, at least not yet.)

Thanks

Service center installed 2.10.71 in my S last week. Apparently 2.11.54 came out the next day.

However, I did see a post elsewhere from someone who just had 2.11.54 installed at the service center. The only change he noted was improved regenerative braking at colder temperatures.

I also saw elsewhere that following a report from Consumer Reports about an issue with Summon, Elon Musk said a new version of the software should be out within a few days to address the issue. So maybe 2.11.54 will be obsolete very soon.

As for nagging. Easy to get rid of. Just do what the nags ask you to do (i.e. keep hands on wheel) and the nags disappear. :)

Mine is in the SC overnight and I am looking forward to whatever they download.

edit:

Pretty cool.

When you saw that did you have the urge to use the app to flash the lights or honk the horn? :)

I am kidding, of course. You don't want to startle the techs while they are working on the car...

Last edited:
When you saw that did you have the urge to use the app to flash the lights or honk the horn? :)

Actually, probably not a good idea. Don't want to startle the techs while they are working on the car...

Please don't. This is why many techs disable remote access when they're working on the car. Unfortunately, they don't always remember to turn it back on. Twice now I haven't noticed and then when I go to use the app, say to unlock the car, I'm screwed.

When the S first started shipping you could tell when your car was born via the app. Tesla had to disable that because people were honking the horn and flashing the lights in the factory.

Please don't. This is why many techs disable remote access when they're working on the car.

If I were a technician I'd do this. It's really a safety issue, and their safety should not depend on the common sense of customers not to do something foolish.

Unfortunately, they don't always remember to turn it back on. Twice now I haven't noticed and then when I go to use the app, say to unlock the car, I'm screwed.

Hrm. That's now the first item on my new "post-service checklist".

As noted up-thread, the only item in the release notes for 2.11.54 was about improved regen performance at low temperatures. I haven't noticed any other new functionality since getting my car back (yet).

I got 2.11.54 the other day and I have a suspicion that they've increased the amount of allowable torque at the wheel for a summon. The car seemed to get over my garage lip a little more easily. This is only based off of two uses since the upgrade though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I got 2.11.54 the other day and I have a suspicion that they've increased the amount of allowable torque at the wheel for a summon. The car seemed to get over my garage lip a little more easily. This is only based off of two uses since the upgrade though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'll try this later. My car had never been able to get over the lip on my garage.

Edit: I tried, it still got stuck on the 1" lip.

Last edited:
My car is in for service and I also got the notification of the sw update. I love that I can check on the car and what's happening, especially as they seem to leave it unlocked and since I can't actually tell whether it's inside or outside at the SvC, and it was late Friday night, I chose to lock the car.

I hope this new sw does increase the torque as mine always aborts going down the driveway just after the lip due to the decline, I think.

I love that I can check on the car and what's happening, especially as they seem to leave it unlocked and since I can't actually tell whether it's inside or outside at the SvC, and it was late Friday night, I chose to lock the car.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the last time you get to enjoy that ability. I think you made a mistake in taking it upon yourself to interfere with their work by locking your car. The car was in their care, and they were responsible for it. For all you know the fob may have been inside the car, and because you locked the car that was safely secured inside the service center some poor tech is going to have to jump through hoops Saturday morning to be able to begin working on your car again. Perhaps he or she will even have to involve the mothership, and will receive a dressing down for not having disabled remote access.

It's one thing to observe the status of your car if the service center techs are nice enough to allow you to. It's another thing entirely to use the app to actually --DO-- anything to the car.

I realize you did not intend any harm, and were trying to protect your car. I just think it may have been a mistake, and fear that the result of the mistake may be that you lose the privilege that you have enjoyed so much. I hope for your sake that I am wrong.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the last time you get to enjoy that ability. I think you made a mistake in taking it upon yourself to interfere with their work by locking your car. The car was in their care, and they were responsible for it. For all you know the fob may have been inside the car, and because you locked the car that was safely secured inside the service center some poor tech is going to have to jump through hoops Saturday morning to be able to begin working on your car again. Perhaps he or she will even have to involve the mothership, and will receive a dressing down for not having disabled remote access.

It's one thing to observe the status of your car if the service center techs are nice enough to allow you to. It's another thing entirely to use the app to actually --DO-- anything to the car.

I realize you did not intend any harm, and were trying to protect your car. I just think it may have been a mistake, and fear that the result of the mistake may be that you lose the privilege that you have enjoyed so much. I hope for your sake that I am wrong.

My observation is lots of places assume the walk away locking is enabled, and they don't lock the car because of if. I always find myself having to remotely lock it. I've never left my car over night at Tesla so I don't know what their procedure is. If I saw that it was unlocked at the service center I would lock it. Yes, there is that unlikely scenario that the tech could have possibly left key at some exact location for it not to sense it. But, guess what? The walkaway locking would do the exact same thing (if I had it on).

Personally if I was the tech I'd always turn off remote access before working on the car. Why? Cause of summons. I wouldn't be able to trust completely that it wouldn't accidentally get enabled.