Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Normal Front Motor Sound for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a early build 17**

I test drove a new Model 3 Performance the other day (No Model Y available yet to test drive near me) and it was super quiet and could barely hear any motor noise at all (only on hard acceleration and then it was still barely audible). Night and day compared to my situation. So, how could the loud whining noises I'm hearing be considered "Normal" by Tesla?

Rorrim, I have a MY AWD, 2000 range build with a similar whine at low speeds(30-40mph) more noticeable to me on decel then accel at that speed range. Honestly, it hasn’t really bothered me too much as I’m sure all of our ears acclimate to the sounds/frequency differently. Now that you brought it up I will probably perseverate more on it. I haven’t made the move yet until I get my A/C fixed but I’m about to go crazy on sound insulation and will let you know how it works out.

rorrim, I thought you had a model 3, lol. I think the AWD Y uses a 980 motor in the rear, although the catalog does have the 990 listed for the Y also. My Model 3 AWD is most likely using a 990 given the build date. I assumed yours was a 990 too as I thought you had a 3.
So, it could be an issue with some 980s, unless it is indeed the front motor. You'll probably need to test drive a Y for a more direct comparison.

rorrim, I thought you had a model 3, lol. I think the AWD Y uses a 980 motor in the rear, although the catalog does have the 990 listed for the Y also. My Model 3 AWD is most likely using a 990 given the build date. I assumed yours was a 990 too as I thought you had a 3.
So, it could be an issue with some 980s, unless it is indeed the front motor. You'll probably need to test drive a Y for a more direct comparison.

Yup Model Y, but figured they are on the same platform so motor noise should be similar. What is the difference between 980 and 990?

Yup Model Y, but figured they are on the same platform so motor noise should be similar. What is the difference between 980 and 990?

The 990 had replaced the 980 on the AWD Model 3 starting sometime in 2019 apparently. And except for the fact that its power output is rated lower than the 980 (a subject of much debate), I haven't seen much info on it in general. Is it quieter, is the failure rate better, the same, or worse? So I've been paying attention to the complaints (noise / failures) to see if a pattern develops, but it's too soon to draw any conclusions.

Tesla's website has a parts catalog for all the models, and the Y has the 990 listed as well as the 980. So, I'm guessing that at some point, the 990 might show up in the Y (most likely the AWD).

The 990 had replaced the 980 on the AWD Model 3 starting sometime in 2019 apparently. And except for the fact that its power output is rated lower than the 980 (a subject of much debate), I haven't seen much info on it in general. Is it quieter, is the failure rate better, the same, or worse? So I've been paying attention to the complaints (noise / failures) to see if a pattern develops, but it's too soon to draw any conclusions.

Tesla's website has a parts catalog for all the models, and the Y has the 990 listed as well as the 980. So, I'm guessing that at some point, the 990 might show up in the Y (most likely the AWD).

Thanks! Is it possible for.me to easily identify which version motor I have installed?

Thanks! Is it possible for.me to easily identify which version motor I have installed?
Yes, you'll have to search the forum for the details though. But there is a plate with the model number that is supposedly visible through the spokes of the driver's side rear wheel. You have to use your phone to snap a pic of it. I never tried, but it's worth doing some research. It might be easier on the Y.

I had the same noise in my 2016 Model S.. I just avoided that 10mile speed range.. I either drove below 45 are above 55 :)

So strange, I had a loaner Model S when my car was in the shop and I could barely hear any motor sounds (only under heavy acceleration or Regen)...I also test drove a Model 3 Performance and same result, barely any motor sound. In my Model Y, I have to turn up radio to the point it hurts my ears to overcome the high pitch motor noise.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gamedemon
So strange, I had a loaner Model S when my car was in the shop and I could barely hear any motor sounds (only under heavy acceleration or Regen)...I also test drove a Model 3 Performance and same result, barely any motor sound. In my Model Y, I have to turn up radio to the point it hurts my ears to overcome the high pitch motor noise.
If it's that loud, it's definitely a problem. Maybe download a sound meter app that has a graph of levels at different frequencies and look to see if there's a spike at the top of the human hearing range. Then, do the same in another dual-motor Tesla on the same road at the same speeds and acceleration. If there's no spike like in your Y, you have your evidence that the sound is not normal.

If it's that loud, it's definitely a problem. Maybe download a sound meter app that has a graph of levels at different frequencies and look to see if there's a spike at the top of the human hearing range. Then, do the same in another dual-motor Tesla on the same road at the same speeds and acceleration. If there's no spike like in your Y, you have your evidence that the sound is not normal.

Yeah, it's that loud...I can hear it on the highway with 21" tires if that helps understand how loud.

Any recommendation for sound meter App on Android?