Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Normal Front Motor Sound for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a new Model 3 Performance the other day (No Model Y available yet to test drive near me) and it was super quiet and could barely hear any motor noise at all (only on hard acceleration and then it was still barely audible). Night and day compared to my situation. So, how could the loud whining noises I'm hearing be considered "Normal" by Tesla?
I also test drove a MY Performance here in NJ on Wednesday, I didn't have the radio on, and there was no whine. I certainly would have noticed what you posted. I just re-listened to both of my videos and neither had the whine.

I also test drove a MY Performance here in NJ on Wednesday, I didn't have the radio on, and there was no whine. I certainly would have noticed what you posted. I just re-listened to both of my videos and neither had the whine.

Thanks, appreciate it. Any chance you could upload videos so that I have a comparison to show the SC? I haven't been able to find another Model Y to test drive here in MA.

The 990 had replaced the 980 on the AWD Model 3 starting sometime in 2019 apparently. And except for the fact that its power output is rated lower than the 980 (a subject of much debate), I haven't seen much info on it in general. Is it quieter, is the failure rate better, the same, or worse? So I've been paying attention to the complaints (noise / failures) to see if a pattern develops, but it's too soon to draw any conclusions.

Tesla's website has a parts catalog for all the models, and the Y has the 990 listed as well as the 980. So, I'm guessing that at some point, the 990 might show up in the Y (most likely the AWD).

So, I brought my car into another SC today and was able to actually take a test drive with a Tech. He could clearly hear the whining and “beeping” sounds of the motor (he said he thinks it’s the rear). However, he said it was normal sounds that is expected of the drive units. Unfortunately, there still aren’t any Model Y’s available for test drive in my area, so I can only compare against the Model 3 and S that I drove which were really quiet compared to my Model Y. I think I’m out of options until I can go with a Tech in another Y and compare together. I told him about my experience with the Model 3, but he said the acoustics are different due to the hatchback and insulation on the drive unit...I’m sure there may be some truth to it, but based on other’s experiences on this Forum and I’m not convinced what I’m hearing and the volume I’m hearing it at are normal.

So, I brought my car into another SC today and was able to actually take a test drive with a Tech. He could clearly hear the whining and “beeping” sounds of the motor (he said he thinks it’s the rear). However, he said it was normal sounds that is expected of the drive units. Unfortunately, there still aren’t any Model Y’s available for test drive in my area, so I can only compare against the Model 3 and S that I drove which were really quiet compared to my Model Y. I think I’m out of options until I can go with a Tech in another Y and compare together. I told him about my experience with the Model 3, but he said the acoustics are different due to the hatchback and insulation on the drive unit...I’m sure there may be some truth to it, but based on other’s experiences on this Forum and I’m not convinced what I’m hearing and the volume I’m hearing it at are normal.

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. I can understand there might be a difference in acoustics between the 3 and Y, but it's doubtful it's similar across all Ys. Also, if it's the rear, I'll go out on a limb and say it's most likely a 980. Hopefully, you'll get a chance to take that test drive soon.

No vehicle is going to be perfect. There are going to be noises here and there. However, that noise you're experiencing is on the excessive side, IMO.

Yeah, I agree with your assessment. I can understand there might be a difference in acoustics between the 3 and Y, but it's doubtful it's similar across all Ys. Also, if it's the rear, I'll go out on a limb and say it's most likely a 980. Hopefully, you'll get a chance to take that test drive soon.

No vehicle is going to be perfect. There are going to be noises here and there. However, that noise you're experiencing is on the excessive side, IMO.

Agreed, this motor noise is excessive and not acceptable.

• Helpful
Reactions: captanzuelo
@rorrim 18,xxx here delivered 6/30. No front motor noise whatsoever. I have driven 2018 Model S 75D 2-week loaner, and 2018 Model 3 LR AWD (sister's) & RWD (mine now sold) (both VIN 100,xxx) variants back-to-back. I am amazed the 18,xxx Model Y front motor is as quiet as the RWD lacking a front motor. I know it's there due to the acceleration profile of dual motor vs. single motor.

I recommend taking a service technician for a demo ride-along drive for a listen. Mask up and face shield as precaution. I understand anyone's reservation from making an appointment unless absolutely necessary. I quarantined my car for 5 weeks after delivery to be safe. My car was ordered, built, and delivered in 15 hours, so I wanted to make sure the coronavirus didn't survive before the first family test drive.

Last edited:
@rorrim 18,xxx here delivered 6/30. No front motor noise whatsoever. I have driven 2018 Model S 75D 2-week loaner, and 2018 Model 3 LR AWD (sister's) & RWD (mine now sold) (both VIN 100,xxx) variants back-to-back. I am amazed the 18,xxx Model Y front motor is as quiet as the RWD lacking a front motor. I know it's there due to the acceleration profile of dual motor vs. single motor.

I recommend taking a service technician for a demo ride-along drive for a listen. Mask up and face shield as precaution. I understand anyone's reservation from making an appointment unless absolutely necessary. I quarantined my car for 5 weeks after delivery to be safe. My car was ordered, built, and delivered in 15 hours, so I wanted to make sure the coronavirus didn't survive before the first family test drive.

This is hopeful news. Is yours Performance? So, what motor sounds do you hear? Just acceleration and Regen?

I'm thinking more now that it's the rear motor that I'm hearing based on everything I've read and what the tech told me when we took a drive together (in my car...no test car available at the time). I like your suggestion and what I need to do is a back to back comparison of my car with noise against their test drive car without (fingers crossed that will be the case). Then I have to get them to admit it which they haven't yet and commit to fixing. I'm guessing it's an expensive fix and hence the denial / pushback.

Update. Was finally able to take a Model Y Performance for a test drive. Night and day difference. Barely any audible motor noise (really only during heavy acceleration). The results were consistent with the Model S and Model 3 I also drove. Overall, road noise seemed lower as well. I wonder if that means there's some insulation issue either in the drive unit or somewhere else which is causing the noises to get into the cabin. Anyways, wanted to share and now I have to figure out next step. Tesla has been denying it's an issue so far and I just proved it definitely is. This is really frustrating to spend this kind of money and have to do your own analysis to prove its a real issue. Any suggestions, please let me know. I'd really like to know how to escalate above the SC to Tesla Management and get some attention on this issue and get it resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: Kelr316