Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Normal Front Motor Sound for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Could it be that simple?

If it's a noise coming from the inverter, possibly. But, we have to keep in mind, it's just one source. What I would do in your situation, is go down to the SC again (or call), and let them know you drove one with no sound and that you were informed there might be a bulletin for this particular problem and to check to see if it actually exists. Also let them know someone had the same issue and it was fixed. Yes, I would become a pain while being as polite as possible.

I would go that route as my SC is close by (so are yours), and exhaust that option keeping tabs on everything. Then if no one budges, go up the ladder. I'm out of suggestions on how to escalate, but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. Personally, I do not like going the attorney route unless I'm out of options.

Any suggestions on how to escalate?

I took delivery of a Model Y 2 days ago (an early July build w/ VIN #22XXX) and also have this issue. I believe it’s the rear motor in my case, but the description of the behavior otherwise fits precisely: high pitched whine that correlates with pedal input above a certain speed, persists at certain speeds, pulsing / beeping of sorts, et cetera. We didn’t hear this in either of the demo Model Ys we test drove. And this is definitely not something I've experienced in my Model 3 dual motor AWD. It's so egregious that despite how much I love my Model 3 and generally advocate Tesla to others I wouldn't have opted into this vehicle for my wife at all. Had a test drive been part of delivery acceptance it also wouldn't have been accepted.

So I’m curious what was your outcome.. or is this still in process? There’s no way we’re just going to live w/ it (the best analogue that comes to mind is it sounds like a dental implement... and I have something approaching a phobia having visited military dentists for a good portion of my life.)

The earliest available service appointment is scheduled for the 31st. That concerns me given it's outside the 7 day return window and I really have no appetite for a protracted battle w/ Tesla over whether this is "within spec" or not. I also really have no desire to desire to return it and be returned to the queue since the vehicle is otherwise in a good enough state (it has a few trim & seat alignment issues that I expect ought be routine to adjust).

Aside from rorrim, has anyone here successfully achieved resolution on this? Thanks!

Edit: here's a link to what I hear (w/ a low cut filter applied to separate from tire road noise): Model Y High Pitched Whine

Last edited:
If it's a noise coming from the inverter, possibly. But, we have to keep in mind, it's just one source. What I would do in your situation, is go down to the SC again (or call), and let them know you drove one with no sound and that you were informed there might be a bulletin for this particular problem and to check to see if it actually exists. Also let them know someone had the same issue and it was fixed. Yes, I would become a pain while being as polite as possible.

I would go that route as my SC is close by (so are yours), and exhaust that option keeping tabs on everything. Then if no one budges, go up the ladder. I'm out of suggestions on how to escalate, but I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction. Personally, I do not like going the attorney route unless I'm out of options.

If you read further down the linked thread it indicates that the Service Center never really did find a bulletin (nor do they admit to having even changed anything) :(

If you read further down the linked thread it indicates that the Service Center never really did find a bulletin (nor do they admit to having even changed anything) :(

I would return it while you still can. Otherwise you will end up in the frustrating cycle that I'm currently in with multiple visits to the SC with unacceptable responses from Tesla acknowledging they hear the noise but that's it's "normal" or "motor still breaking in", etc. The bottom line is that it's expensive to replace a motor / drive unit and / or missing insulation in a pillar for example (the latter may be impossible after assembly). I'm not sure yet the root cause, but I wish I could go back in time and have returned it when I had the chance...Please let me know what you decide to do and if you bring it to the SC, what do they say?

I am considering a return... and wouldn't hesitate if I could immediately exchange it, but it's logistically problematic for me to be w/o a 2nd vehicle at the moment. FWIW, I can't imagine how missing insulation in a pillar has anything to do w/ what I'm experiencing.

I am considering a return... and wouldn't hesitate if I could immediately exchange it, but it's logistically problematic for me to be w/o a 2nd vehicle at the moment. FWIW, I can't imagine how missing insulation in a pillar has anything to do w/ what I'm experiencing.

Have you seen this video? Could make sense that motor noises are indeed normal, but you shouldn't hear them with proper insulation keeping the noises out of the cabin. Just saying...

Exact same issue, resolved by service center.

1337x VIN June build Y. Rear motor whine between 30-50mph. First appointment available after purchase to resolve minor finish issues and the whine.

Issue was first described by service as a missing “battery to body seal” that was allowing the noise into cabin. After a few days for parts and other work, they called to say they had to wait for special jack stands from Fremont to drop the HV battery, and get to the penthouse seal location. Evidently this was the first for the Y. After repairs, tech said it was a seal around/in the penthouse allowing the noise. Issue was completely resolved. Very happy with the car and the service experience, despite how extreme this repair seems to have been.

End of quarter car, oh well.

Just checked part replaced: SEAL,PERIMETER,PENTHOUSE,MDL3(1467057-00-C)

• Informative
Reactions: VikH

Issue was first described by service as a missing “battery to body seal” that was allowing the noise into cabin. After a few days for parts and other work, they called to say they had to wait for special jack stands from Fremont to drop the HV battery, and get to the penthouse seal location. Evidently this was the first for the Y. After repairs, tech said it was a seal around/in the penthouse allowing the noise. Issue was completely resolved. Very happy with the car and the service experience, despite how extreme this repair seems to have been.

Thanks - that sounds promising!

1337x VIN June build Y. Rear motor whine between 30-50mph. First appointment available after purchase to resolve minor finish issues and the whine.

Thanks, this is hopeful news! Does sound like a major fix. Did they say if they had to involve Tesla Engineering to diagnose?

Thanks, this is hopeful news! Does sound like a major fix. Did they say if they had to involve Tesla Engineering to diagnose?

No, they had it diagnosed the first day, likely just popped the back seat and heard it or saw the missing seal.
The couple day delay was for the jack stand adapters needed to hold the car and also drop the HV pack down. Guess this hadn’t been done anywhere yet so they didn’t have them on hand.

My Model Y LR suffers from this issue. VIN 16xxx. SC techs rode along and indicated sound was normal.

I’ve spent a few more days trying to get used to it but I never will. I still have the option to return the car but I’m really hoping they can fix the issue so I don’t have to. Next service appt is next week. A missing seal makes a lot of sense, so hopefully I can convince them to pop the seat and inspect the pilot house.

My Model Y LR suffers from this issue. VIN 16xxx. SC techs rode along and indicated sound was normal.

I’ve spent a few more days trying to get used to it but I never will. I still have the option to return the car but I’m really hoping they can fix the issue so I don’t have to. Next service appt is next week. A missing seal makes a lot of sense, so hopefully I can convince them to pop the seat and inspect the pilot house.

Welp, I popped the seat myself and unfortunately for me my pilothouse perimeter seal is definitely in place.