Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's state of the art for washing a Model S at home and making it shine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about getting a Pressure Washer to wash the car when there is excess dirt and mud.

What is the best detergent/soap to put in the reservoir of a Pressure Washer so I can use the Pressure Washer as a Foam Cannon?

I can then use the Pressure Washer to rinse out all the large dirt particles and then follow up with a quick ONR two bucket wash without worrying about large dirt particles.

This is the Pressure Washer I'm thinking about buying. Has anyone used it or have a better one for washing the car? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G2GRLV5/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
Karcher K1700 is the best bang for buck out there. Buy a compatible foam cannon (don’t bother with the soap reservoir on any pressure washer) and use Chemical Guys honeydew snow foam in the cannon
https://www.amazon.com/Karcher-K1700-Electric-Pressure-TruPressure/dp/B01N20PROC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=25A55EOYDNITW&keywords=karcher+k1700&qid=1555536311&s=gateway&sprefix=karcher+k&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
i used ONR green, with the wax. Started out using 2-bucket method, now i just use the 1-bucket method. Use different sections of a microfiber cloth until no clean sections left, then switch to a clean microfiber cloth and repeat. I probably go through 10 or so... then just wash them after. Takes me a little over an hour. Wheels are the worst part.

^^^This is the right approach. I use 15 micro fiber mitts so that I can do small sections(top down) and never have to worry about rinsing a mitt in dirty water even with 2 rinse buckets with grit guards. Why rinse when you can just use enough mitts to never have to? You also use way less water than having two 5 gallon buckets with rinse water. It only takes about 2 gallons to completely saturate 15 mitts with water and soap.

^^^This is the right approach. I use 15 micro fiber mitts so that I can do small sections(top down) and never have to worry about rinsing a mitt in dirty water even with 2 rinse buckets with grit guards. Why rinse when you can just use enough mitts to never have to? You also use way less water than having two 5 gallon buckets with rinse water. It only takes about 2 gallons to completely saturate 15 mitts with water and soap.
Do you rinse the car with a hose after wiping it down with an ONR saturated mitt? Or do you just buff it dry with a microfiber towel? Or neither? I also gave up on the two bucket method and use a bunch of microfiber mitts in a bucket of regular car wash soap.

Karcher K1700 is the best bang for buck out there. Buy a compatible foam cannon (don’t bother with the soap reservoir on any pressure washer) and use Chemical Guys honeydew snow foam in the cannon
https://www.amazon.com/Karcher-K1700-Electric-Pressure-TruPressure/dp/B01N20PROC/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=25A55EOYDNITW&keywords=karcher+k1700&qid=1555536311&s=gateway&sprefix=karcher+k&sr=8-2&th=1&psc=1

Do you know the difference between the Chemical Guys HOneydew Snow Foam, Mr. Pink Suds, and Chemical Guys CWS 101 Car Wash Shampoo.

The more I think about it, I feel like the best, and most fun way to wash the car at home is to get a pressure washer and foam gun :) First I can rinse the car with water to remove loose dirt, then I have fun with the foam cannon and use a mitt carefully to remove dirt with the two bucket method and finally use ONR with a sealer to wrap things up. By the time I get to ONR, there should be hardly any dirt at all and I feel this is the safest approach.

Trying to decide between the PAXCESS electric washer and the Sun Joe SPX4001.

Who else uses a foam gun and pressure washer to wash their Model S? What's the best way to do it so it is safe for the paint?

Can I still use a pressure washer after the car is wrapped?

So you just do a regular hand washing, with a hose rinse off, and then do a final rinse with the bug sprayer? Then you let it air dry?
Yes...that has worked for me. A case in point is aircraft windows, very expensive. If I have dust, no dirt, I just spray with distilled and it dries with almost no spots. A blower or compressed air would reduce the amount of water required.

I am no expert on modern car finishes, but the above works for acrylic and Lexan transparencies, often over 10k in value.

Both our Model S and our Model 3 have Suntek Ultra PPF & Gyeon Ceramic coating. When I asked our installer how long the ceramic coating would last, he said it was partially dependent well I maintained it (how clean I keep it). He also recommended using P&S Bead Maker, which is incredible stuff!
P&S BEAD MAKER Paint Protectant Gallon (128 oz)
One year later now and both cars look as good, if not better than day 1.
720C0A99-29FA-4238-BA81-1F50E498BC10.jpeg
9935AC37-6ED5-437C-8FB6-56F50BC471C8.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: croman and DCEV
Do you know the difference between the Chemical Guys HOneydew Snow Foam, Mr. Pink Suds, and Chemical Guys CWS 101 Car Wash Shampoo.

The more I think about it, I feel like the best, and most fun way to wash the car at home is to get a pressure washer and foam gun :) First I can rinse the car with water to remove loose dirt, then I have fun with the foam cannon and use a mitt carefully to remove dirt with the two bucket method and finally use ONR with a sealer to wrap things up. By the time I get to ONR, there should be hardly any dirt at all and I feel this is the safest approach.

Who else uses a foam gun and pressure washer to wash their Model S? What's the best way to do it so it is safe for the paint?

I use this foamer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKC6IY6

It takes about a 1/2 gallon of water foam the entire car. I let it sit for about 5 minutes (in the shade of course and usually early morning or an how before sun down...but still in the shade).

I also use a rotary nozzle on the end of the pressure washer. It causes amazing agitation and by the time I use the next half gallon to rinse the car before using the mitts, everything has come off the paint.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDACE3K

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV

I've tried many soaps and CG honeydew snow foam is the best in a foam cannon. Also I HIGHLY recommend you get the Karcher K1700 over those other pressure washers, it is far superior and the best pressure washer under $500 as tested and recommended by Matt from Obsessed Garage, who has put more time and energy into pressure washer testing than anyone out there

I've tried many soaps and CG honeydew snow foam is the best in a foam cannon. Also I HIGHLY recommend you get the Karcher K1700 over those other pressure washers, it is far superior and the best pressure washer under $500 as tested and recommended by Matt from Obsessed Garage, who has put more time and energy into pressure washer testing than anyone out there

Are you sure this is the one to get?

It has pretty poor reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Karcher-K170...Karcher+K1700&qid=1555550941&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I've been thinking about either the Ryobi 2300 @279
RYOBI 2,300 PSI 1.2 GPM High Performance Electric Pressure Washer-RY142300 - The Home Depot

Or the Sun Joe SPX4000 @ 134
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVBT3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

They both have good reviews but they both have complaints of breaking down so I'm thinking maybe the Sun Joe is not so bad as if it breaks done, I can buy a new one. I have yet to find a reasonably priced pressure washer that seems bullet proof and worth the extra cost.

Are you sure this is the one to get?

It has pretty poor reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Karcher-K170...Karcher+K1700&qid=1555550941&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I've been thinking about either the Ryobi 2300 @279
RYOBI 2,300 PSI 1.2 GPM High Performance Electric Pressure Washer-RY142300 - The Home Depot

Or the Sun Joe SPX4000 @ 134
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBVBT3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

They both have good reviews but they both have complaints of breaking down so I'm thinking maybe the Sun Joe is not so bad as if it breaks done, I can buy a new one. I have yet to find a reasonably priced pressure washer that seems bullet proof and worth the extra cost.
Definitely the Karcher for automotive washing. The absolute best is a Kranzle, but you'll spend $1,500 on one of those. Compared to everything under $500, that K1700 is the best