Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best 12V jump starter to keep handy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize this topic has been discussed before but I wanted to find out if there's anything new in the area of a portable 12V jump starter to keep handy just in case the Tesla 12V battery dies. For a Tesla with a dead 12V battery, how many Amps/Peak Amps should the jump starter battery output?

Has anyone found one with the following features?
  • Battery has a long shelf life so I can keep it in the car for months at a time and not worry about if it has a sufficient level of charge.
  • What type of battery chemistry should I look for?
  • Would like the battery to be powerful enough to jump start an ICE SUV or car just so I have the option of helping out someone in an ICE who is stranded with a dead battery.
  • Would be great if it had a USB output for emergency power.
  • Smaller and lighter the better (while still being able to jump start a Tesla or ICE SUV)
A nice to have feature that is not required is an air compressor so you can inflate tires if needed.

What's the best place in the car to keep this battery so I can get to it even if the 12V battery is completely dead? Would the frunk be the best place to store it as there is a manual pull cable to open the frunk?

Last edited:
Pretty much all batteries have to be charged periodically, so it would need charging probably quarterly.

Using a battery to start a Tesla is different than starting an ICE, the difference being is that an ICE needs a lot of current quickly and the Tesla doesn't need that much, but probably needs it for a little longer.

The Tesla will need enough to run the computers and probably some fans. Not sure, but maybe around 10A.

My bigger question is why? Do you think that the probabilities of losing the secondary batter is that high? Sure it happens, but I don't think that it is enough payback to get something. But to handle the issue, I do have a set of jumper cables so that I can hook up to other's batteries.

I'm looking to purchase an emergency battery to keep in the car at all times and I figured that I might as well get something that can jump my car in an emergency if there is a 12V failure and also have the option to help out someone in an ICE by jump starting their car as well.

Was curious if someone had found the "perfect" emergency battery to keep in their car...

These are the two I'm considering but I see some scary photos of some of the emergency batteries being sold exploding so I would prefer to buy something that is safe!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QCDHBL

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B016UG6PWE

I had my previous vehicle 27 years and only one flat tire. So I was not concerned about no spare tire with my S. But after two flats in a year year I put a spare in the trunk. And used it a couple of weeks ago after flat #3. So suddenly the idea of a spare 12 volt battery seems interesting.

But how does one "jump start" a Tesla with an external 12 volt battery? That's to say, how/where does one plug it in?

I realize this topic has been discussed before but I wanted to find out if there's anything new in the area of a portable 12V jump starter to keep handy just in case the Tesla 12V battery dies. For a Tesla with a dead 12V battery, how many Amps/Peak Amps should the jump starter battery output?

Has anyone found one with the following features?
  • Battery has a long shelf life so I can keep it in the car for months at a time and not worry about if it has a sufficient level of charge.
  • What type of battery chemistry should I look for?
  • Would like the battery to be powerful enough to jump start an ICE SUV or car just so I have the option of helping out someone in an ICE who is stranded with a dead battery.
  • Would be great if it had a USB output for emergency power.
  • Smaller and lighter the better (while still being able to jump start a Tesla or ICE SUV)
A nice to have feature that is not required is an air compressor so you can inflate tires if needed.

What's the best place in the car to keep this battery so I can get to it even if the 12V battery is completely dead? Would the frunk be the best place to store it as there is a manual pull cable to open the frunk?
You don't need hundreds or thousands of amps. Just a few amps to get things started. There are a lot of LiFe batteries like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Power-D...sr=1-11&keywords=12+volt+lithium+jump+starter
https://www.amazon.com/22-Performan...s&keywords=12+volt+lithium+jump+starter&psc=1

You will need to charge it every 3-6 months.
However, this is very much a belt and suspenders item. Usually the 12v battery gives you lots of warning before it dies (as in, warnings on the dashboard) and the 12v batteries for the past few years have been much more reliable than the 2013 models.
(My four year old Model S has the original battery.)
I do carry one of these LiFe batteries just in case.
You'll need to read your manual to see where and how to access the jump posts (varies by model and year).

You don't need hundreds or thousands of amps. Just a few amps to get things started. There are a lot of LiFe batteries like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Power-D...sr=1-11&keywords=12+volt+lithium+jump+starter
https://www.amazon.com/22-Performan...s&keywords=12+volt+lithium+jump+starter&psc=1

You will need to charge it every 3-6 months.
However, this is very much a belt and suspenders item. Usually the 12v battery gives you lots of warning before it dies (as in, warnings on the dashboard) and the 12v batteries for the past few years have been much more reliable than the 2013 models.
(My four year old Model S has the original battery.)
I do carry one of these LiFe batteries just in case.
You'll need to read your manual to see where and how to access the jump posts (varies by model and year).

Thanks! I was looking at that one but the 12% 1-star reviews is a bit concerning. Many verified buyers are complaining tha tthe unit just stopped working.

I'm trying to buy one that will not just work for my car but one I can use to help out another driver as well as that's why I'm looking for one powerful enough to jump start an SUV.

I'm the paranoid guy who takes a satellite phone and an emergency personal locator beacon (EPIRB) when I travel :p

I had my previous vehicle 27 years and only one flat tire. So I was not concerned about no spare tire with my S. But after two flats in a year year I put a spare in the trunk. And used it a couple of weeks ago after flat #3. So suddenly the idea of a spare 12 volt battery seems interesting.

But how does one "jump start" a Tesla with an external 12 volt battery? That's to say, how/where does one plug it in?

I feel it's a good idea to keep one in the car for my own emergency use or to help someone else. Same reason I keep a small fire extinguisher in the car. Plus I can then use this to recharge my phone in an emergency as well.

Just trying to find the best emergency battery pack to buy. Wish Tesla made one!

The 12V battery in a Tesla is an AGM battery, very similar to the batteries used in mobility scooters, jump starters, and small uninterruptible power supplies. I use a 35 Amp-hour battery (size "U1" - a large scooter battery) as a backup for a cpap machine. The cost is about $65 on Amazon, and a small quality charger (BatteryTender brand) can be had for about $25. It is a luggable 24 pounds and should be more that enough to "jump" a Tesla. (I think the S and X use a 35 amp-hour battery, and the 3 is a tad larger.) You could get by with a smaller version to save a few bucks/pounds - a 20 AH is used in many jump starters and is $40, and you could go even smaller. The quality of a "home brew" system is much higher than the typical "jump starter." The battery will be big enough to easily jump an ICE car, or charger many cell phones, etc.

The other approach is a lithium pack, but that will cost many bucks for the convenience of light weight.

The 12V battery in a Tesla is an AGM battery, very similar to the batteries used in mobility scooters, jump starters, and small uninterruptible power supplies. I use a 35 Amp-hour battery (size "U1" - a large scooter battery) as a backup for a cpap machine. The cost is about $65 on Amazon, and a small quality charger (BatteryTender brand) can be had for about $25. It is a luggable 24 pounds and should be more that enough to "jump" a Tesla. (I think the S and X use a 35 amp-hour battery, and the 3 is a tad larger.) You could get by with a smaller version to save a few bucks/pounds - a 20 AH is used in many jump starters and is $40, and you could go even smaller. The quality of a "home brew" system is much higher than the typical "jump starter." The battery will be big enough to easily jump an ICE car, or charger many cell phones, etc.

The other approach is a lithium pack, but that will cost many bucks for the convenience of light weight.

is there a type of Lithium jump starter battery pack that will do well in a trunk subjected to freezing and hot weather?

The AGM battery will lose it's charge quickly. It should be continuously trickle charged.

I won’t buy another micro-battery charger via Amazon again. The one I bought wasn’t exactly cheap and had good reviews, but didn’t work when I needed to help an ICE car out of a bind. When I recharged it later that night, it literally burned up (board/ICs were starting to emit smoke).
This one is on my list this Xmas. I have many Schwaben tools so trust the brand.
Schwaben Micro Jump Start Kit

I won’t buy another micro-battery charger via Amazon again. The one I bought wasn’t exactly cheap and had good reviews, but didn’t work when I needed to help an ICE car out of a bind. When I recharged it later that night, it literally burned up (board/ICs were starting to emit smoke).
This one is on my list this Xmas. I have many Schwaben tools so trust the brand.
Schwaben Micro Jump Start Kit

Do you mind telling us which brand let you down?

This is what concerns me as well as I found a few on Amazon that seem perfect on paper but they all have about 15% of 1 star verified purchase reviews from those who claim it let them down...

Worse yet, others complain of a fire risk. Last thing I want is the emergency battery starting a fire in the frunk! :eek:

Having never done this. After you access the battery and use a jumpstart battery to get the car back up.
I’m confused. Then what?
Can the car simply be driven home at that point with the bad OEM battery still in? I guess I thought most of the regular things inside the car still ran from the 12V.
Sorry if this is a dumb question I think I’m missing something.

Having never done this. After you access the battery and use a jumpstart battery to get the car back up.
I’m confused. Then what?
Can the car simply be driven home at that point with the bad OEM battery still in? I guess I thought most of the regular things inside the car still ran from the 12V.
Sorry if this is a dumb question I think I’m missing something.
The 12v battery goes dead:
- when it is too old to accept a charge from the HV pack - Leave the charger on the 12v to until you get a new battery... can probably go a considerable distance since the HV pack will keep the old battery and the booster battery charged... in this case there is usually ample warning from the car that your 12v battery is going bad.
-when there is a problem with the 12v charging from the HV pack - Leave the charger on the 12v to get home or the service center... needs to be repaired immediately
- when the HV pack is dead - In this case, you aren't going anywhere on 12v... you need to charge the HV pack

NOCO GB70 or GB150. Both work well. We have one of each. Lithium based so light. I use both at work on an RV lot. Raising and lowering tounge jacks. Demonstrating trailers (we don’t leave batteries on them so just use these). The G150 is big enough to jump a 6 litre diesel in the cold. Overkill for you. The GB70 fits easy in the hand and will do everything you are suggesting. Needed customer service once and they were excellent.

Happy trails.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
The 12v battery goes dead:
- when it is too old to accept a charge from the HV pack - Leave the charger on the 12v to until you get a new battery... can probably go a considerable distance since the HV pack will keep the old battery and the booster battery charged... in this case there is usually ample warning from the car that your 12v battery is going bad.
-when there is a problem with the 12v charging from the HV pack - Leave the charger on the 12v to get home or the service center... needs to be repaired immediately
- when the HV pack is dead - In this case, you aren't going anywhere on 12v... you need to charge the HV pack

Are you suggesting that the car be driven with the jump start battery still connected to the battery/car in the event of a 12V battery depletion/failure?

NOCO GB70 or GB150. Both work well. We have one of each. Lithium based so light. I use both at work on an RV lot. Raising and lowering tounge jacks. Demonstrating trailers (we don’t leave batteries on them so just use these). The G150 is big enough to jump a 6 litre diesel in the cold. Overkill for you. The GB70 fits easy in the hand and will do everything you are suggesting. Needed customer service once and they were excellent.

Happy trails.

Glad it works for you but it's a bit concerning the GB70 has 331 one star ratings by verified buyers on Amazon who complain the product did not work... This seems to be the case with every one of these types of devices as I have yet to find one on Amazon that does not have 12-15% 1 star ratings.

Otherwise the GB70 seems to be perfect for what I'm looking to buy.

I'm also considering this one that is only $125 and also includes an air compressor that can be powered by the battery. Have not heard of Rugged Geek though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZB8T6N

I use the Noco units. Each of our kids' cars has the smaller unit, not because I am worried about their cars but rather when their friends need a jump they are idiot and bulletproof way of not having to deal with jumper cables and they just work. We even keep one in the plane to drive a small air pump in case the tires need air!

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ul...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1PZ3EKHKY67EFR5AZ8G1