Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best 12V jump starter to keep handy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad it works for you but it's a bit concerning the GB70 has 331 one star ratings by verified buyers on Amazon who complain the product did not work...

Really..?

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 4.08.00 PM.png

That is the NOCO GB70 on Amazon with a 4.2 out of 5 with 2700+ reviews.

FWIW my family has 8 of them (all different sizes) in every vehicle we own and we have never had a problem with any of them.! :)

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
The 12v battery goes dead:
- when it is too old to accept a charge from the HV pack - Leave the charger on the 12v to until you get a new battery... can probably go a considerable distance since the HV pack will keep the old battery and the booster battery charged... in this case there is usually ample warning from the car that your 12v battery is going bad.
-when there is a problem with the 12v charging from the HV pack - Leave the charger on the 12v to get home or the service center... needs to be repaired immediately
- when the HV pack is dead - In this case, you aren't going anywhere on 12v... you need to charge the HV pack
Ok. Makes sense. Thank you.

Do you mind telling us which brand let you down?

This is what concerns me as well as I found a few on Amazon that seem perfect on paper but they all have about 15% of 1 star verified purchase reviews from those who claim it let them down...

Worse yet, others complain of a fire risk. Last thing I want is the emergency battery starting a fire in the frunk! :eek:
Brand was KMASHI. It only overheated/fried when I tried to charge it after a few months. Never used it until then. Just kept it charged. Not surprisingly, it’s no longer available on Amazon. Only normal power banks to charge phones, etc. are.

Just keep in mind that if your your Model S goes dead due to 12 volt battery failure the last place you're going to want your jump starter is in the car because you may not be able to get in the car until you connect power to the jumper terminals.

this isn't old school where you just stick the key in the door and reach inside and get it or open the trunk etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: iCharge
Just keep in mind that if your your Model S goes dead due to 12 volt battery failure the last place you're going to want your jump starter is in the car because you may not be able to get in the car until you connect power to the jumper terminals.

this isn't old school where you just stick the key in the door and reach inside and get it or open the trunk etc.

We know.

This is why I mentioned earlier on that we plan to keep it in the frunk. The frunk has a mechanical cable pull to open it even if the car has no power. This unfortunately also makes it a poor place to store a laptop or other valuables because anyone can pop the frunk open by pulling a cable.

• Helpful
We know.

This is why I mentioned earlier on that we plan to keep it in the frunk. The frunk has a mechanical cable pull to open it even if the car has no power. This unfortunately also makes it a poor place to store a laptop or other valuables because anyone can pop the frunk open by pulling a cable.
Hey
Thanks for bring this up. I get what you are trying to solve.
you can read all the reviews you want, as you can imagine, the more a product sells, some units will be defective, some manufacturers' products fail more than others' but some issues are inherent to the product. They are all Li cells, with circuitry and depending on QC of parent company, things can fail at various steps in mfg process. Some will die, some will have defective heat sensors causing to melt etc [ assuming they were installed] and multitude of others.
Personally my experience is good. I have 2 of these as below:
I do have the BoltPower one and it holds 4/5 charge every 6 months when I check it. I personally have to use it only 1x to help a random lady in a parking lot, and it worked flawlessly. [ if you must know, it was a 2.5L motor] I've used it to charge phones etc as well. I charge it [ actually both] every Th'giving for winter. And in spring it's always had 4/5 charge. Length of ownership: 4 yrs. Mine is a older version and it looks like they now include laptop adapters and a soft shell case [ mine came with a hard plastic case ]
I also have the "walmart version" of these [ impulse buy at a fire sale] and used to keep in my beater car. Same 4/5 charge in spring. had it for 3 yrs

In the end, you get one from brand you want And believe in. Do research. Hope it does not fail. Brands that have been around like BoltPower are preferable. Practice opening the trunk once or twice a year as you would in even of 12V failure.
upload_2018-11-20_4-2-52.png

Over the last couple of months, it happened twice where someone in an ICE needed a jumpstart and I couldn't help them. So I looked into a portable jumpstarter, with the added benefit that I could use it to charge other devices and also get the Tesla going if the 12v battery ever failed. I decided I wanted an Li based battery and not lead acid. I looked at Consumer Reports and ended up going with this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...arch_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

I know it has over 10% one star reviews, but it seems they all do. I did test it as soon as I received it. It jump started our V6 SUV twice, and then recharged with no problem.

• Helpful
Over the last couple of months, it happened twice where someone in an ICE needed a jumpstart and I couldn't help them. So I looked into a portable jumpstarter, with the added benefit that I could use it to charge other devices and also get the Tesla going if the 12v battery ever failed. I decided I wanted an Li based battery and not lead acid. I looked at Consumer Reports and ended up going with this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...arch_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1#customerReviews

I know it has over 10% one star reviews, but it seems they all do. I did test it as soon as I received it. It jump started our V6 SUV twice, and then recharged with no problem.
People are 10x as likely to report bad experience as good. I wouldn't be dissuaded by the bad reviews

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I bought a Bolt Power D29 for $69 to keep in the car. Seems like a good balance of power, price, and ratings.

So I'll be ready in the event of a 12V failure and this can even jump up to a 6.5L ice in case I need to assist someone else.

Once the AGM Lead Acid 12 volt battery goes bad, just replace it with this and don't worry about it. https://www.element3batteries.com/product-page/tesla-lithium-12v-battery.

My daughters Ford Fusion Hybrid AGM Lead Acid would die every time the car sat for a month, once I switched over to this battery, we haven't had an issue since.

Lithium Battery Power | Lithium Batteries for Solar, RV, Marine, Carts

is this a special type of Lithium battery that can recover from deep discharge cycles and extreme temperature variances?

in case you are having 2nd thoughts, NOCO.com is offering 40% off everything

Thanks for the heads up. We went ahead with the Bolt Power D29 based on a couple of recommendations on this thread. Seems like it is a reasonable price point and I hope the quality will be good!

Is there any way to simulate a dead 12V battery with the Model S to make sure the emergency jump battery works when I receive it?

is this a special type of Lithium battery that can recover from deep discharge cycles and extreme temperature variances?
Yes, it has a BMS system. All batteries are affected by temperature, but in a Tesla the DC to DC converter does help protect it and Tesla can refresh the charge profile from AGM to Lithium. I still have a portable jumper battery, but these are much more powerful than standard AGM.

Why lithium?

L.B.P Lithium Ion RV Batteries are equipped with a Limited Lifetime Warranty and are compatible with every type of RV from travel trailers to luxury motor coaches. The built-in Battery Protection System (BPS) installed in every L.B.P 12V Lithium RV Battery will prevent the battery from over voltage and under voltage. BPS also allows you to plug and play the batteries for any RV. BPS is also useful to maximize the capacity in every cycle due to their ability to balance and maintain the cells.

LBP advanced lithium technology has 2000 complete charge and discharge cycles at 80% DOD. You can still enjoy more than 80% of usable energy left even after 2000 cycles.

Example: After being discharged 100% for 2000 cycles, a 12v 100ah battery is now equal to a 12v 80ah battery.

• Helpful
Once the AGM Lead Acid 12 volt battery goes bad, just replace it with this and don't worry about it. https://www.element3batteries.com/product-page/tesla-lithium-12v-battery.

My daughters Ford Fusion Hybrid AGM Lead Acid would die every time the car sat for a month, once I switched over to this battery, we haven't had an issue since.

Lithium Battery Power | Lithium Batteries for Solar, RV, Marine, Carts

I am just curious, why would Tesla not use such a battery in their cars?

I am just curious, why would Tesla not use such a battery in their cars?
Cost and mostly likely supplier demand issues.

The OEM AGM battery costs about $140 + $400 in labor to install. Source:12V Battery Replacement Cost

The Lithium Battery costs $440, I had Tesla install it when I was still under warranty, I paid for the battery and Tesla provided the labor at no cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. We went ahead with the Bolt Power D29 based on a couple of recommendations on this thread. Seems like it is a reasonable price point and I hope the quality will be good!

Is there any way to simulate a dead 12V battery with the Model S to make sure the emergency jump battery works when I receive it?
I dont know but I have a strong gut feeling that that is BAD idea. I would test your BOLTPower on a ICE car by just disconnecting the battery

absolutely the BOLTPower is a good product, I myself have it for a few years.

• Helpful