Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best Model S refresh front fascia option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any tips and/or measurements to assist when trimming bumper for use with old louvers? How were they mounted to new bumper if the bracket was trimmed away? Have all my parts, now just waiting on a decent weekend day since I'm still working :(

Did you see the video VictorP85 posted a while back? He gives a suggestion on how to do it. Here it is in case you didn't see it.

Here is the William Nix video. He actually shows how he did it.

In those videos, when they cut the bumper to fit the old louvre's, they cut the brackets that contain the screw holes as well. They then needed to attach it back to the bumper somehow to attach the louvres to the bumper. Some used plastic weld or used other means.

That was a daunting task for me personally and that's why I decided to buy the refreshed louvres. Unfortunately they are pricey, but make the install a lot easier. It was just too much work for me to cut it and I was afraid to mess it up. You might be better equipped than I am with doing that kind of stuff. I am hoping to recoup some of the money back after selling the old louvres and other parts as well.

The weather is supposed to get better in another week or two.

• Helpful
Reactions: jobiggs24
I agree. plastic welding the screw hole seems a bit much, but that is one way to do it. @Wnix05 didnt do that in his vid. It just look like he trimmed really close to the existing screw holes. Damn I wish we had better video or pics on that part. Wnix05’s vid shows but we can’t really see exactly where he started trimming.

I agree. plastic welding the screw hole seems a bit much, but that is one way to do it. @Wnix05 didnt do that in his vid. It just look like he trimmed really close to the existing screw holes. Damn I wish we had better video or pics on that part. Wnix05’s vid shows but we can’t really see exactly where he started trimming.

No Wnix totally did it, I spoke to him. I asked him about it since we didn't really see it in the video. He used JB weld to put it back on.

I was tossed between the Unplugged and Tsportline versions as well but decided to go the OEM refresh bumper in the end and glad I did. It takes more effort sourcing all of the parts to make this conversion possible but IMO, well worth the effort. Overall costs is about the same as the Tsportline bumper and this is done without modifying the hood. I also painted the rocker panels and rear bumper moldings to keep it consistent with the refresh Model S.
nice.
o.png

@Videofrank did you finish? Want to see some more pics.

Was going to trim my bumper but stumbled upon refresh louvers this weekend for ~$300 for both(OfferUp and Ebay :D)

Good for you. That is going to make the install so much easier. Usually that's the price for one new, so you did good.

I don't have anything to show. I haven't done anything else since the last set of pics.

Unfortunately the next time I do have a chance to mess with it, which should be towards the end of this week, I have to take the bumper off again. I noticed the other day that I lost one of the rubber rings that go around one of the sensors in the front bumper. Sucks! I will also then attach the t logo, that I have since plasti dipped red.

One last thing is I have to decide on what to do about a backup if the 12 volt battery dies.

I have to either install the 12 volt extension cables and run them somewhere, or run a frunk latch access somehow. Not sure yet.

Yeah man. Everybody has been great about adding input.Was gonna trim around my louvers but decided to wait cause I’m gonna get the refreshed ones. @tyler2323 said I really should get new louvers. So I ordered the left side last night. Thanks @jobiggs24. Soon as I get the right side, Im one my way. If anybody has anymore cool mods or tips, post them.

@terryna you image didn’t come thru. Would love to see your car because I want the same thing. My personal opinion, but if you really want a updated look paint the rockers and rear bumper moldings. Got one louver that should be here tomorrow and waiting on a invoice right now or so I can order the other. Can’t wait to get this done!!

Alright. Anyone care to share how they cut and mounted their Model X front T badge? I just got mine but realizing they mount very differently.

I have both as well and haven't decided which one I will install yet.

But my opinion is to cut it little by little, like others have done with the refreshed t badge and keep trying it out to see how it fits.

Like Victor did here:

t cut.JPG

As far as installing it, I would use a self tapping screw, and screw it from the back of the black grille. Like this one here from Wratran:

v back.jpg

Just my .02

87E32F2C-A60C-48C4-B608-F00531383B1C.jpeg
E264B041-7206-4628-8AA6-8593A20B1325.jpeg
E2F75BEF-8E7F-402B-8D99-2276135A68BB.jpeg
The Me and @jobiggs24 just got done with ours last night. I would sugggest to trim far as possible. Dont forget to cut at an angle like i did. Got a few adjustments left but I’ll be ok. New bumper had six sensor holes and I only have 4. Will get extra sensors to fill the other 2. Also forgot wire to extend my harness so I the left out the far sensor until I extend the harness and get the other two sensors. Also want to slide my hood forward just a little. Think I can eliminate the gap almost completely without the gap filler like Tyler said before. So in the end I’ll extend the harness. Trim by t badge a little more and slide my hood forward a centimeter or two. All easy fixes for the most part. The real dirty work is done so that shouldn’t be too bad. Would of done this but we had to finish in the dark and I had to get on the road and get home. I would suggest a partner to work with for the first time but its doable.Special thanks @jobiggs24,@tyler2323 ( Couldn’t of done this without Y’all).Wnix05,Nick70d,VictorP85 you guys all answered my questions and we’re always helpful. Thank you. Will post more picks of the process and a few things we encountered
E2F75BEF-8E7F-402B-8D99-2276135A68BB.jpeg

Reactions: tyler2323
View attachment 542347 View attachment 542346 View attachment 542342 The Me and @jobiggs24 just got done with ours last night. I would sugggest to trim far as possible. Dont forget to cut at an angle like i did. Got a few adjustments left but I’ll be ok. New bumper had six sensor holes and I only have 4. Will get extra sensors to fill the other 2. Also forgot wire to extend my harness so I the left out the far sensor until I extend the harness and get the other two sensors. Also want to slide my hood forward just a little. Think I can eliminate the gap almost completely without the gap filler like Tyler said before. So in the end I’ll extend the harness. Trim by t badge a little more and slide my hood forward a centimeter or two. All easy fixes for the most part. The real dirty work is done so that shouldn’t be too bad. Would of done this but we had to finish in the dark and I had to get on the road and get home. I would suggest a partner to work with for the first time but its doable.Special thanks @jobiggs24,@tyler2323 ( Couldn’t of done this without Y’all).Wnix05,Nick70d,VictorP85 you guys all answered my questions and we’re always helpful. Thank you. Will post more picks of the process and a few things we encountered View attachment 542342
Did you figure out whatever you wanted to talk to me about?