Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the ideal wheel size you want for your Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Model 3 for one week now and the only bad thing that stands out are the Aero OEM 18inch wheels.

If money is no issue, what size wheels would you do and why?

Also any reason why performance package has 20inch wheels? Look only or it help performance also?

I was one who went back and forth on the wheels.... even said what if I purchase after market 20’s ... the Tesla ones.

But now that I’ve had the at I have not felt once looking at it or inside I need better wheels. The car experience is so much more. My Aeros are on and cap kit still sealed in the box.

18 inch aeros will give you the best range. Take aeros off will arguably look better, but gives you less range, but still better than any 19 or 20" wheels.

If range is what you're after, stick with 18". If looks, go for 19/20.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Zero.

FlyingDeLorean.png

Until then, I'll go with 18's with the aero rims removed.

The 18s are great. The car still handles like it's on rails. I took my car in for a tiré rotation at the place where I have been buying tires and getting oil changes for nearly 20 years yesterday. One of the first things the owner, who always greets me by name, said was, "I really like those wheels, and didn't even realize that they had plastic covers." If they catch the eye - in a good way - of a guy whose livelihood is tires and wheels, they're good enough for me.

While I agree that some of the sport wheels look, well, sportier, I had enough of low profile tires (first 17s and then 18s) on my last two cars to cure me of them for life. I actually lost track of how many blowouts I had from potholes on I-285.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Yup but mainly only useful for track or autocross use, i'm running 265 tires instead of the stock 235. Keep in mind that simply adding wider tires doesn't do much, you also need to get a wider wheel to get the most out of it. The stock wheel is only 8.5" wide, for reference.

Can you share some photos of the 19x9.5 265/35/19 look? What brand, offset and etc. Did you notice major difference while driving?

Can you share some photos of the 19x9.5 265/35/19 look? What brand, offset and etc. Did you notice major difference while driving?

Sure, i'm running VMR wheels V710FF with a +33 offset and 265/35/R19 tires. The tires are pretty grippy (RE-71R), so i definitely have more road noise and the low speed steering is heavier but that's expected. It still handles incredibly well and corners even better now.

I'm getting some Unplugged Performance coilovers in the next few weeks to lower the car and then i think it will look even better.

TeslaPhoto1Touched.jpg

Attachments

• TeslaPhoto2.jpg
    TeslaPhoto2.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 262
Sure, i'm running VMR wheels V710FF with a +33 offset and 265/35/R19 tires. The tires are pretty grippy (RE-71R), so i definitely have more road noise and the low speed steering is heavier but that's expected. It still handles incredibly well and corners even better now.

I'm getting some Unplugged Performance coilovers in the next few weeks to lower the car and then i think it will look even better.

Looks awesome. Any reason you chose Unplugged over Mountain Pass Performance Coilover by KW?

Looks awesome. Any reason you chose Unplugged over Mountain Pass Performance Coilover by KW?

I'm based pretty close to Unplugged and have a ton of faith in them from their work with Bulletproof Automotive. They have crazy extensive connections in the industry to help design and fabricate a custom solution and i'm pretty confident the coilovers will be fantastic.

Top Gear thought they were nice too: Unplugged Tesla Model 3 review: modified car rivals M3

Sorry but I really think the aeros are bugly.
I'm old school and always loved the shiny chrome wheels on a car and despise brake dust covering them.
Used to wash them so clean so even the insides were shiny.
I dont know what fashion or car started the black wheel craze.
kbeck's black wheels actually look nice. Still I dont want it on my car.

• Love
Reactions: Perry
I have the Aeros on my car and don't regret it. More efficient, more robust, better ride quality. I even like how they look with the covers on now, even though I initially thought I wouldn't (but you can take them off if you prefer a more traditional look). My guess is that in a few years most new cars will have similar wheel covers for aerodynamic reasons (I noticed that many of the new EVs coming to market have aero wheels). Bright silver aluminum wheels are so 2010. :p

Also any reason why performance package has 20inch wheels? Look only or it help performance also?
Looks. The bigger rims are heavier and will thus result in worse acceleration. The OEM 20" wheels will have better grip in warm weather, but that's not because of the size but the tires (the 20s come with summer tires while the other Tesla wheels by default come with all-season tires).

Last edited:
I have the Aeros on my car and don't regret it. More efficient, more robust, better ride quality. I even like how they look with the covers on now, even though I initially thought I wouldn't (but you can take them off if you prefer a more traditional look). My guess is that in a few years most new cars will have similar wheel covers for aerodynamic reasons (I noticed that many of the new EVs coming to market have aero wheels). Bright silver aluminum wheels are so 2010. :p

Looks. The bigger rims are heavier and will thus result in worse acceleration. The OEM 20" wheels will have better grip in warm weather, but that's not because of the size but the tires (the 20s come with summer tires while the other Tesla wheels by default come with all-season tires).

So why they put 20s on the performance package, that's so wrong!

So why they put 20s on the performance package, that's so wrong!
Well, apparently they think looks are important for people buying the performance version. That's also why they paint the brake calipers red and glue a spoiler lip on the trunk lid (or will if they ever get them in stock), and probably why they no longer offer the "stealth" performance version of the car.

Reactions: 2018M3
Well, apparently they think looks are important for people buying the performance version. That's also why they paint the brake calipers red and glue a spoiler lip on the trunk lid (or will if they ever get them in stock), and probably why they no longer offer the "stealth" performance version of the car.

I agree that the wheels are kind of silly for a performance package, but the brakes are actually a higher performance part (not just red) and the spoiler will definitely help with high speed stability.