Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the ideal wheel size you want for your Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to go for the 18“ aeros because of the much lower noise level (there is a Youtube video with a comparison between the 18 and 19“ wheels out there which shows quite a difference). I‘ll see if they fit my blue model 3 (to be honest, I have my doubts). If not I will have the aero caps painted in silver as on the pic. This should be easily done and looks nice.

Attachments

• Silver Aero Wheels.jpg
    Silver Aero Wheels.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
It's all just preference. Neither of the 18 or 19 variants will make any noticeable difference in day to day performance. I originally ordered 18s, but ended up with 19s for some complex reasons not relevant here. My point is, I would have been fine either way. The 19s ride great, and the 18s on a friends ride the same. No practical noticeable difference. Get what you like to look at, I guess, and don't worry about it.

I decided to take the risk and put on some Ambit FC10s. Ambit doesn't have the best reputation in the industry (for their original rims), but $700 for a set of 4 20s is unbeatable. Been riding on them for about two weeks now with no issues, but luckily I feel a bit better with them in Florida since our roads are generally good and free of potholes. I went to a specialty aftermarket wheel place to put them on and they were impressed with them, especially for the price (if that means anything to you). I had always planned on staying with the Aeros but they just seemed a bit off with the caps off (looked too small for the car) and I hated the caps.

I would stay away from their original wheels, but these flow formed ones seem fine. I reached out to a few owners that have the same wheels before buying them and they said they were all fine.

I lowered my deductibles for the next couple of months just in case one implodes on me lol.

I went 20x8.5 squared. For tires, I went with the Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S 245/35r20. Got a great deal on Black Friday. $60 rebate, plus 20% off from some random coupon I found online and free shipping. ~$400 for the set. Road noise is a bit louder and ride quality is a bit rougher, but nothing crazy or stupidly uncomfortable.

View media item 119180

Reactions: ColoradoFun
anybody with this setup can chime in with feedback?

It definitely hurts your range if you're taking long trips. My highway efficiency is about 300-330 depending on speed (330 is going ~70 average). Only reason I'm running this set-up is for the track, otherwise i would say you should probably get 9" width wheels and maybe 255/35/R19 tires.

I don't have the guts to push my 18" Aeros to the limit on a public road, so anything bigger or wider would just be a waste of money for me. I pushed them up to 90+ MPH on a country road ONCE and found that to be quite enough for me. I have no idea what the car does when the tires break lose on a curve, but I don't want to find out. When you think about the slightest mistake potentially ending your life it kinda of puts things in perspective. If you need a wider, gripper tire you either spend time at the track or your crazy and probably endangering yourself and others. The only thing I might ever change is type of tire based on the seasons. Like snow tires or summer tires if I lived in a place with more extreme weather (I don't.) I've even toyed with the idea of getting LOWER performance tires with less noise and more range when the original set wear out.

I use my car for actual daily driving to work and as such the 18" wheels were the only ones I trusted where I felt like I could drive over a pothole and not destroy my rims. The aero covers offering superior range reducing the cost of my daily commute were just a bonus.

Reactions: Jaywlker
Just saw some member's crack OEM wheels, makes me wonder if our stock 18inch aero wheels strong enough? Are they forged or not? I am more and more want some forged wheels on the market, any suggestion?

QceA5zj.jpg

If you are looking for forged wheels and light weight, there are quite a few available in market. Vossen, Vorsteiner etc I have 20" Vossen VFS1 wheels on mine with a staggered setup; 9" wheels at front and 10.5" rear wheels. Not for efficiency at all :), the ride on the other hand is what I have these wheels for.

20181224_163918.jpg
20181224_163925.jpg
20181224_163937.jpg

Last edited:

Another forum member posted this test of alloy vs steelies. Steelies will be stronger than cast, rotary forged or forged wheels. Too bad steelies look worse than the aero wheels with covers.

I’m waiting for my VS Forged VS03 wheels I ordered on Black Friday still. Should be another few weeks before the custom two tone finish is done. Look at the VS Forged or Titan wheel lineup for entry level forged pricing.

If you are looking for forged wheels and light weight, there are quite a few available in market. Vossen, Vorsteiner etc I have 20" Vossen VFS1 wheels on mine with a staggered setup; 9" wheels at front and 10.5" rear wheels. Not for efficiency at all :), the ride on the other hand is what I have these wheels for.

View attachment 364921 View attachment 364922 View attachment 364923

Nice color combo with the chrome delete and wheel setup...looks sick!

Reactions: hdAge