Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the largest Power Inverter you can use in a Tesla?

Whats the largest Power Inverter you can use in a Tesla?

• 200 watts

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • 400 watts

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • 500 watts

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • 1000 watts

Votes: 14 15.1%
  • 1500 watts+

Votes: 43 46.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to 12V batt cause it's fused I'm not sure, 60A maybe? So I'm on the main 12V busbar, just behind the 225A fuse going from DCDC. This way the DCDC can support the load as well as the battery does.

It actualy does, you just have to turn it horizontaly ;)
Oh nice. I haven't been able to find an equivalent tap point on the refresh S. I can confirm you can pull 111A peak from the jump post on the refresh S, but it discharges the tiny 16V battery much faster than it can be recharged and it shuts down quickly. I pulled 1400W DC, and supplied 1200W out my inverter.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Oh nice. I haven't been able to find an equivalent tap point on the refresh S. I can confirm you can pull 111A peak from the jump post on the refresh S, but it discharges the tiny 16V battery much faster than it can be recharged and it shuts down quickly. I pulled 1400W DC, and supplied 1200W out my inverter.ts
I think that high-amp point it's actually much better accessible in refresh model S, it should be in one of the boxes just between the frunk and front window or not? In preface you have to disassemble the cabin air intake box and the 12V busbar is located under it. You can pull I believe up to 2000W without any problem when the car is idle. I want to be safe, so went with 1500W solution, for me pretty enough ;)

Reactions: hydro
I think that high-amp point it's actually much better accessible in refresh model S, it should be in one of the boxes just between the frunk and front window or not? In preface you have to disassemble the cabin air intake box and the 12V busbar is located under it. You can pull I believe up to 2000W without any problem when the car is idle. I want to be safe, so went with 1500W solution, for me pretty enough ;)
I'd love to see pics (or better yet a video) on how to hook this up

Hi, thanks for sharing. If not too much trouble, could you post a picture of that connection? Cheers

I'd love to see pics (or better yet a video) on how to hook this up
Guys sorry, I'm not good at video making and also I'm in a big lack of time nowadays, so glad I did at least the connection. Nevertheless will try to explain as much as I can do.
Unfortunately I didn't quickly find any existing video on YT, only have two pics.
Here you can see where to disassemble the air intake box which has to be completely removed:

TeslaFuse.jpg

I believe any average skilled diyer can handle it ;)

Under this place there's the secret hi-amp fuse box where also the main 12V lead from DCDC inverter goes to. It's actually connected through the biggest 225A F94 fuse, so the best spot where to connect is just behind that fuse, there's a battery connection and one another. You will just have to crimp an eyelet, drill a hole into the box and connect it... and that's all. Sorry, don't have better materials now..
Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 12.53.16 PM.jpg

• Love
Thanks for the pics and documentation @ResHacker ! Do you plan to do perm install or just have a quick connection where you can add or remove the inverter, or keep it in the frunk all the time?
Also, are you making the connection before the fuse so it will trip that if you exceed 250A or after? Would a 2018 MS 100D have the same setup as these pics?

Thanks for the pics and documentation @ResHacker ! Do you plan to do perm install or just have a quick connection where you can add or remove the inverter, or keep it in the frunk all the time?
U're welcome ;) I plan to keep it here permanently as it always can be practical. And I have added a 120A connection between the frunk and car itself, so I can remove the frunk quite quickly when needed.
Also, are you making the connection before the fuse so it will trip that if you exceed 250A or after?
The connection is done of course that way the fuse will trip if anything bad happens ;) And I have also another 150A fuse added on the way to the inverter to be safe.
Would a 2018 MS 100D have the same setup as these pics?
Nope - it's just better accessible in facelift Model S. See
time 0:48, you have to hook up to the F1 250A fuse there on the correct side of it to have the fuse between DCDC and the connection of course ;)

Also keep in mind that it might be necessary to keep ie clima on (in keep on/camp mode) w/o compressor running, just to keep the car and therefore DCDC alive for higher loads. In my case it wents after approx 30mins into sleep mode which is not good. I set the fan only to the slowest setting and heating off, so the power draw is minimal.

Last edited:
  • Love
The power outlet in the refresh S may be able to do even more.
"The power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 12A continuous draw (16A peak)."

It's about 16V, so 192W continuous max, 256W peak.

Has anyone found a high current circuit to tap into for more power in the refresh S?
I was going to mention that newer Tesla are coming with 16v lithium ion batteries instead of 12v lead acid, and they may be too high voltage for some inverters. My 4,000 watt inverter has a max input of 16v, so I'm right at the limit.