Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the max generation you've seen for a 16.2kWh system at any given time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We saw a 6.5 kW peak today on our 12.75 kW Solar roof at around 1230.

But it depends on a lot of factors including shading, temps (hot is worse), etc. We are also just about 1/2 to the shortest amount of daylight, Dec 21 - the winter solstice.

that seems low
I have an 11.8 kW system and I hit 6.5kW at noon. Which direction do your panels face?

The OP, yours, and my systems all peaked within a few percentages of their capacity (50-55%). Kind of interesting.

FWIW, the highest I have ever seen on our system was 10.1kW in early May. I attribute this to super clear air (midst of pandemic shutdown), cool weather, and cloud edge effect (a few clouds drifting over)

Those numbers definitely sound low to me, but it’s going to be very dependent on panel orientation, shading, and location. I have a 15.12kW system and my system routinely peaks at 10-11kW this month. A month and a half ago I would regularly see it go as high as 12-13kW during peak times. The highest I ever saw it get was 15.3kW, but that was only for a minute or two and due to the cloud edge effect.

Are your panels east facing? Majority of mine are mostly west facing and I hit peak of 9.2kW at 2:30 for my 12kW system. Something definitely seems off with the amount of generation. Almost like only 1 inverter is not producing/reporting.

upload_2020-9-4_16-33-14.png

Reactions: bkp_duke
ya, mine are mostly NW facing. I'll call Tesla on Tues to see what's going on. Just one challenge after another with this installation.

@socaldave what software did you use to build that spreadsheet?

Just the export from the Tesla app.

Did you check to make sure both of your inverters are producing power? You can move the red switch to P for 2 seconds and see what the LEDs show - Inverter Status and System Performance Indications | SolarEdge

Or you can use the MySolarEdge app and view in read only.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Just the export from the Tesla app.

Did you check to make sure both of your inverters are producing power? You can move the red switch to P for 2 seconds and see what the LEDs show - Inverter Status and System Performance Indications | SolarEdge

Or you can use the MySolarEdge app and view in read only.
I didn’t know that about the app thanks that’s handy.

yes the system is producing power during the daytime on both inverters solid green.

Thanks for the suggestion on the solar edge app too. I tried that on both boxes and only one is able to connect to the app. The other inverter won’t connect to the app and it also doesn’t have an explicit P label on its red switch even though toggling it to the left does initiate the app to look for it. It ends up timing out after looking for the inverter. In your setup you’re able to connect to both with the app?

Last edited:
I reset the breaker and was able to connect to both inverters finally. One inverter only generated 20kW today. The other did 35kW.

It’s not too unusual for the inverters to generate different amounts, sometimes they don’t split the panels evenly between the two inverters and panel orientation can affect it too. For example, if one inverter has all or mostly northwest facing panels then that one will likely generate less than the other inverter.

Reactions: Redhill_qik
Are your panels east facing? Majority of mine are mostly west facing and I hit peak of 9.2kW at 2:30 for my 12kW system. Something definitely seems off with the amount of generation. Almost like only 1 inverter is not producing/reporting.

View attachment 584541

Mine are in line with this. I hit 8.9kw on a 12.1 kw system yesterday about 1:30. About 15% of my panels are east facing, with the rest south or west facing.