Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the max generation you've seen for a 16.2kWh system at any given time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that solar production is going to be very dependent on quite a few factors, including geographical location, panel orientation, and inverter size.

Even if you are looking at two systems of the same or similar DC size their production may be very different and just because one system produces less power doesn’t necessarily mean that something is wrong with it.

A good way to judge system performance is to use PVWatts or a similar calculator which will take many of those factors into account as it calculates and then compare your system’s performance over time with the calculator’s prediction.

We have panels on both the front and back of the house, a few more on the back than on the front.

There's no way every panel would be lit up to produce the max our system can do with the way the house is situated, which is basically perpendicular to the sun.

We knew going into it we'd be getting about what we do from what our installer told us.

I spoke with their support and they said that I should accept the numbers I'm getting. At first, I asked for an escalation and they said they wouldn't with only a few days of data. Implying that apparently the system needs to break in. I demanded an "escalation" anyway and now they say it will take about a week to get a response.

I spoke with their support and they said that I should accept the numbers I'm getting. At first, I asked for an escalation and they said they wouldn't with only a few days of data. Implying that apparently the system needs to break in. I demanded an "escalation" anyway and now they say it will take about a week to get a response.

I suspect that they want to see production over time not because the system needs to break in, but because weather can very much impact the production numbers. Production on one day or every several days in a row might be low because of haze or smoke or cloud cover or temperature. But as I said above, looking at production over time will average out any weather issues.

Did you ask to be able to use the SolarEdge app? It would be good to be able to see what each panel is producing.

I have a 16.32kw system that was just installed last month, and the most I've seen is spikes of 15.3kw. I have 2 x 7600 inverters so that's about the max you can ever do actually. The only time I see these spikes is when there are clouds to keep the panels cool and then the sun pokes through.

Last week here in Dallas we had many 100+ degree days and the panel efficiency was definitely affected by it.. I saw around 10.5kw max during the day. When it's cooler out I've seen 13kw sustained for a while.

I'm not generating enough right now to cover the A/C throughout the day. I have 3 units in my house and they are power hungry right now. It's frustrating to see and hopefully it will be much better in the other seasons. I was hoping to have enough excess to be able to get an EV and offset that, or at least run the A/C more.

I ended up buying a sense device to monitor power use. The Tesla app is so off on my system and doesn't report anything even remotely correct.

I was able to get an installer account with solaredge and get my inverters in my account quite easily with solaredge support. I then wired them up via ethernet and now am getting reporting through that avenue too.

Reactions: SoCal Dave
I was able to get an installer account with solaredge and get my inverters in my account quite easily with solaredge support. I then wired them up via ethernet and now am getting reporting through that avenue too.

Can you tell me more on how to do that? Tesla (first level support) was clueless on this.

TBH if I were getting 10kW I'd be ok with that. I'm getting 7.

Can you tell me more on how to do that? Tesla (first level support) was clueless on this.

TBH if I were getting 10kW I'd be ok with that. I'm getting 7.
When I registered for the installer account it asked me for a serial number, I gave them one.. I then received an email a day or 2 later asking me for some information.. I basically told them that I'm a Tesla customer, I have no access into the system and I wanted to be able to use the SolarEdge monitoring systems.They then approved the account for me within a short period of time after that.

I was then able to into the account and add one of my inverters. The other said it was already in an account somewhere. I then opened a support case via their portal and gave them information that I'm a Tesla customer who wants monitoring through the solaredge system, I can provide pictures/receipts, etc that it's mine. It took them a few days to do anything with the case, but they moved it over for me without any other questions.

With the installer account you have full access to build your site

Once you do this, you do have to reconfigure the inverters to use ethernet. You need the solaredge setapp. It's really easy to do. I just finally got ethernet to my inverters fully completed yesterday.. I reprogrammed them days ago, but they were just disconnected. Once they came online, I have data now showing up from system turn, Aug 20. The really funny thing is the Tesla app is saying I'm still generating power.

I think my account with the Tesla app is all screwed up. I emailed support a few weeks ago, but of course never got a response. I need to call them, but I really have no use for this app of theirs.

Once you do this, you do have to reconfigure the inverters to use ethernet. You need the solaredge setapp. It's really easy to do. I just finally got ethernet to my inverters fully completed yesterday.. I reprogrammed them days ago, but they were just disconnected. Once they came online, I have data now showing up from system turn, Aug 20.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t even have to do that with my inverters. They were set for auto connect, so as soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable they got an IP address and started reporting to solaredge.

The really funny thing is the Tesla app is saying I'm still generating power.
Do you have solar only or powerwalls too? If you have powerwalls the tesla app gets it’s data from the TEG. If your install is solar only then the data comes from the inverters through the zigbee gateway.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t even have to do that with my inverters. They were set for auto connect, so as soon as I plugged in the ethernet cable they got an IP address and started reporting to solaredge.

Do you have solar only or powerwalls too? If you have powerwalls the tesla app gets it’s data from the TEG. If your install is solar only then the data comes from the inverters through the zigbee gateway.
No powerwalls for me.. It makes me think my app is reading someone else's gear..

Yes that's a great point, now that I think about it, the auto-connection checkbox was enabled. So this step isn't really required.. I wish we could just use wireless, but it needs the solaredge gateway box it seems.

No powerwalls for me.. It makes me think my app is reading someone else's gear..

Is your little black zigbee gateway still connected and powered on? I didn’t think that the inverters would support an ethernet connection and a zigbee connection at the same time, but I guess it’s possible that they could. Does the production seem to match your system’s production? If there are clouds does the production drop? If you turn off the inverter in the middle of the day does the production drop?

Yes that's a great point, now that I think about it, the auto-connection checkbox was enabled. So this step isn't really required.. I wish we could just use wireless, but it needs the solaredge gateway box it seems.

Yeah, I spent some time trying to see if the inverters could connect to WiFi, but I came to the same conclusion that it needs the SolarEdge gateway. It seems really odd that they don’t support WiFi natively because SetApp communicates with the inverters through an adhoc WiFi network created by the inverters. So obviously they have WiFi hardware in the inverters. But for whatever reason it looks like they don’t make that available to use for inverter connectivity.

We have 44 350W panels (15.4 KW) with Chilicon microinverters (one inverter per two panels).

Our max has been 12.4 KW, though on most days, the max is less than 12 KW.

Our system came with a Chilicon monitor display, allowing us to monitor the power output from each pair of panels. Due to constraints on our roof, we knew that we'd have a few panels at any point during the day that wouldn't be receiving full sun. And I've been able to confirm that by monitoring the power output from each pair of panels during day time.

So peaking at 11-12.4 KW mid-day is about what we expected.

We haven't had days without clouds this summer, so our max power generation has peaked at 80KW for a day - if we could get a few completely clear days during the summer, we should do better than 80KW per day. Just hasn't worked out that way this summer...

Any luck getting this figured out @njhtran ?

BTW, my system production was horrible yesterday due to the cloud/smoke layer. Only produced 25.3kWh compared to the 50-60 kWh I've been seeing previously.

Only about 16.2kWh total for me yesterday (my system is 8.7kW) due to the same reason. On a side note however, the air didnt smell smoky and I ran my quietcool all day and night yesterday, inside the house is very nice right now lol.

When our system was only 16.5 kW, we could see it peak at over 18 kW on the best days. Now that our system is 20.5 kW, we've seen it peak at around 22 kW on the best days (June).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200607-131117_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20200607-131117_Tesla.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 61
Hey all. For those near me in SoCal can you give me a reading on your peak output today thus far? I’m trying to get a gauge on if my output is up to par yet because Tesla techs came out yesterday and rewires some of my panels that were reverse polarity.
I’m getting 8kW right now and it’s my peak output.