Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the max generation you've seen for a 16.2kWh system at any given time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my system size is 53.3% the size of yours., and my production is 56.1% of yours. The 2.8% difference seems like it would be explained by roof pitch, sun angle at your home vs mine, etc.

Interested to see what so cal dave is at but from this very limited sample size it would look like your system daily production is ok. FWIW the highest I have ever seen on my system peak input is like 7.1 and thats with the cloud edge effect. Its normally around 6.3 on a clear day (during june / july) that is not that hot but no clouds. My 8.7kW system generates around 11.5 to 13kW a year, depending.

EDIT: I also have zero clipping on my system (changed pics to thumbnails in respect for those browsing on mobile)

IMG_0481.PNG IMG_0482.PNG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: njhtran
Jjrandorin - 35.4kWh / 8.7kW = 4.06kWh / system KW (96% of my system)
Dave - 51.5 kWh / 12.24kW = 4.2kWh / system kW
njhtran - 63.1kWh / 16.23kW = 3.89kWh / system kW (92% of my system)

So the amount of power produced per size of our systems varies a bit. Mine is producing the most and njhtran is the least. It could be factors such as panel orientation.

The interesting thing is my panels are facing everywhere, so I wouldn't have expected mine to be the highest.

Jjrandorin - 35.4kWh / 8.7kW = 4.06kWh / system KW (96% of my system)
Dave - 51.5 kWh / 12.24kW = 4.2kWh / system kW
njhtran - 63.1kWh / 16.23kW = 3.89kWh / system kW (92% of my system)

So the amount of power produced per size of our systems varies a bit. Mine is producing the most and njhtran is the least. It could be factors such as panel orientation.

The interesting thing is my panels are facing everywhere, so I wouldn't have expected mine to be the highest.

So are mine, lol, and I have the oldest panels. I actually have 34 panels on my roof. If they were in todays panels I would have a lot higher production :)

Reactions: SoCal Dave
It looks like those numbers are all pretty close to each other. As I recall from the beginning of this thread @njhtran has a significant number of his panels facing north, so it would make sense that his system was producing a bit less than the other ones, assuming they have a more optimal panel orientation.

Reactions: SoCal Dave
It looks like those numbers are all pretty close to each other. As I recall from the beginning of this thread @njhtran has a significant number of his panels facing north, so it would make sense that his system was producing a bit less than the other ones, assuming they have a more optimal panel orientation.

I have some facing east, west, north, south. I think I also might have some facing downwards ;)

• Funny
Reactions: forkee and bemyax
Yah, mine has 36 panels. So if you had the latest 340W panels I got, you would be my system size.

Thats actually VERY helpful... I was considering trying to negotiate with tesla to get out of this solar lease early next year (when I can buy the system out), but I wanted to see if I could negotiate them letting me out of it to purchase a larger system. Ideally, they could simply take off what I have, and mount new ones on the same mounting (that I know is water tight at this point, no leaks in over 5 years and plenty of rain).

No idea if that is possible but I was going to ask, lol. Its helpful to know what system size I would be looking at.

Thats actually VERY helpful... I was considering trying to negotiate with tesla to get out of this solar lease early next year (when I can buy the system out), but I wanted to see if I could negotiate them letting me out of it to purchase a larger system. Ideally, they could simply take off what I have, and mount new ones on the same mounting (that I know is water tight at this point, no leaks in over 5 years and plenty of rain).

No idea if that is possible but I was going to ask, lol. Its helpful to know what system size I would be looking at.

No idea on the lease conversion.

Technically it would be a 11.56 kW system (34 * 340W), but close enough to mine.

Ideally, they could simply take off what I have, and mount new ones on the same mounting

I don’t know how feasible that is. Even though solar panels are all about the same size they aren’t exactly the same size. I know that the new 340W panels are an inch or two longer and wider than the 315W panels they replaced, so I suspect that it’s unlikely that new panels will line up with your existing mounting system.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I don’t know how feasible that is. Even though solar panels are all about the same size they aren’t exactly the same size. I know that the new 340W panels are an inch or two longer and wider than the 315W panels they replaced, so I suspect that it’s unlikely that new panels will line up with your existing mounting system.

Yeah I realize its somewhat of a pipe dream. Even if I cant do it (which admittedly is likely) I want to buy my system out next year, which is supposed to be available after 5 years. There isnt a buyout price like a car lease, either. my contract says a buyout is supposed to be done with an appraisal. Given how much solar has dropped in the last few years, I am wondering how much my buyout would be even with what it is now.

Yeah I realize its somewhat of a pipe dream. Even if I cant do it (which admittedly is likely) I want to buy my system out next year, which is supposed to be available after 5 years. There isnt a buyout price like a car lease, either. my contract says a buyout is supposed to be done with an appraisal. Given how much solar has dropped in the last few years, I am wondering how much my buyout would be even with what it is now.

From what I've read, it isn't a system price appraisal - like you can buy a new 8kW system for $16K but yours is old so it is only worth $12K.

Instead it is a valuation on the value of the electricity the system still can produce. Making up numbers, but if your system is 5 years old it has 15 years of life left. Each year it is producing $2K of power so it is worth $30K (15 years * $2K). It seems completely insane and not worth buying out.

The one difference might be yours is a lease vs the ones I've read about are PPAs.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Date =9/21
System Size = 12.24kW
Highest peak generation shown =8.1kW (66.2% of full system)
Solar generated today =51.5 kWh (4.2kWh per system size kW)
Location - Central Temecula

View attachment 590788

Late to the reporting game, but here are my numbers from yesterday:

Date =9/21
System Size = 12.06kW (see sig for details)
Highest peak generation shown =8.6kW (71.3% of full system)
Solar generated today =58.7 kWh (4.9kWh per system size kW)
Location - North SD County

We had some significant marine layer until about 9:30 AM here, so missed out on a little bit of AM production.

Late to the reporting game, but here are my numbers from yesterday:

Date =9/21
System Size = 12.06kW (see sig for details)
Highest peak generation shown =8.6kW (71.3% of full system)
Solar generated today =58.7 kWh (4.9kWh per system size kW)
Location - North SD County

We had some significant marine layer until about 9:30 AM here, so missed out on a little bit of AM production.

Interesting how you out performed all of us. I assume North SD was cooler or are your panels better aligned?

Interesting how you out performed all of us. I assume North SD was cooler or are your panels better aligned?

SunPower panels with micro-inverters. They aren't cheap, but they are the best you can buy (highest efficiency, lower temperature loss coefficient, and less degradation over time).

If it makes you feel better, your panels will have long since paid for themselves and I'll still be waiting on mine to complete paying for themselves.

SunPower panels with micro-inverters. They aren't cheap, but they are the best you can buy (highest efficiency, lower temperature loss coefficient, and less degradation over time).

If it makes you feel better, your panels will have long since paid for themselves and I'll still be waiting on mine to complete paying for themselves.

Interesting.

I'm curious how much temperature is going to play a factor with my system's production. My guess is I'll produce the most in May and June. Long days, but the heat isn't as bad as August and September.