Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats up with the wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wipers in the 3 are horrible. Tesla should be embarrassed.

In Auto-mode -- the wipers run at Max Speed. Or, not at all. There is no in-between speed, when in Auto-mode
  • The wipers are noisy -- much louder than any Hyundai I've driven.

• The wipers leave streak marks -- embarrassing for a brand new car.

• The wipers are not consistent, at all, ever.

Tesla engineers can build a sweet ev...but, can't get the little things right...i.e. wiping water from the windshield.

In Auto-mode -- the wipers run at Max Speed. Or, not at all. There is no in-between speed, when in Auto-mode

Tesla engineers can build a sweet ev...but, can't get the little things right...i.e. wiping water from the windshield.

Why do you live where it rains?

I agree they are poor. I put ceramic coating on my windshield and just don’t turn them on.

That is one thing I will miss very much from my 2017 Volt. Still have original wipers. They still work silently and great. Been through 3 Canadian winters. I will console myself that I will not hear or feel a gas generator turn on after 53 miles of silent EV driving. I will hear low rent Tesla wiper engineering.

The wipers definitely shouldn't be running at Max when in auto. That's inconsistent with their operation. The best way to describe auto mode is that they randomly wipe until light rain at low and heavy rain at high. Latest sets of software seem to be much better than previous versions.
Streaks - what type, water, dirt, what? Your windows may have some coatings on it, don't Rain-X it. Make sure that it has had a good cleaning to get any factory protectants off.

Have someone in the drivers seat and then take a garden host to it, from just spitting to a full pour. Realize that it's the cameras behind the mirror that's looking at the rain. See what happens.

I've had the wiper, while sitting in a parking lot, just decide to do a single sweep because of a misting.

• Helpful
Reactions: MoHazee4
My anecdotal experience from this morning with my first drive with a light mist was that the auto wipers seemed to work just fine, maybe adjusting the increment speed a little higher than I might under manual circumstance (2019.12.1.2). At freeway speed, I didn't notice any abnormal noise and they seemed to very smoothly clear the entire windshield of water... definitely superior to my previous car ('07 Nissan 350Z). They weren't going at anything close to max speed. Maybe one swipe every 5 to 7 seconds...

There was light mist this morning in Socal and I've had no issues with my wipers on "auto" they work perfectly with a normal wipe speed.
Running v2019.12.1.2.

This version has improved vastly from previous version where as others noted on "auto" the wipers would go at "full speed" wiping with little to no rain on the window.

My sl550 has new "magic wipers" that clean as well as a homeless man with newspaper at a stoplight.

I've watched videos of the model 3 wipers and thought to myself "wow, I can't wait to have wipers that good"
Sarcasm detector back up and running. That’s funny man.

My wipers appear to go fast about 6-7x's and then adjust down as required. So I've been trying to be patient recently and let them try to figure things out. However even then I'd prefer they were generally a little slower intermittently, esp with very light scattered rain at which point I just turn them off and push the button once in a while. Screen should add settings for how aggressive you want auto mode to perform. Obviously there's still work to be done here but hoping some day...

Also, the manual states:

Cautions for Exterior Cleaning
Caution: Do not use windshield treatment fluids. Doing so can interfere with wiper friction and cause a chattering sound.

I've done it with other vehicles but was hesitant for the 3 because of this. I can see some wiper fluids causing this but you'd think ceramic coating your glass (I've done everything but) would be the opposite of causing chattering.

I'll try the water hose and see how it goes. I will post a video if it seems necessary.

Based on what I am hearing here -- i might need to talk with the service center to have things reviewed -- because, when in Auto-Mode, the wipers are ridiculous