Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel advice, please! What option to choose (non-CPO used)

What wheel choice would you make if you were me?

• Keep the 21" that are on the car now

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Take 19" from same year (2015) + new rubber + $1500

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Take 19" from new year (2017) + slightly used rubber + $1500

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Take 19" aftermarket + new rubber + $1500

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've bought myself a 2015 P85D. Deposit is down and I make balance payment at the end of next week, it ships out from Ontario on Monday the 11th and I should have it about 5 days later.

I have a choice to make with wheels/tires.

It comes with 21" grey turbines. The original rubber was replaced with Nokian Zline summer tires and the dealer estimates they have 80% tread left (he's supplied me with very detailed close up photos and I think 80% is being conservative). And that's fine and is obviously one of my choices, but... the dealer has another S with 19" wheels and the buyer he has for that really wants the 21's, so he's giving me some other options:

- I take the 19's from a 2015 85D, I get brand new rubber of my choice and a $1500 credit
- New generation 19's from a 2017 75D with factory Goodyear Eagles that have 7000 km and showing very little wear, and a $1500 credit
- Brand new aftermarket 19" wheels that look like the 21" turbines + any tire of my choice + $1500 credit

I honestly don't know what to do. I realize the 21's were very expensive. From what I've read, larger wheels are all about the looks and I can't say I care so much about that. Sounds like 19's are better in most every other way. True? I like the look of the turbines, so I guess I'm leaning toward either sticking with the 21's or taking the aftermarket 19's.

What would you do? Following are some pics he's provided. From first to last these are: 2015 19's, 2017 19's, Aftermarket 19's, Same aftermarket mounted on a car but they are 20's in that photo.

19_2015.JPG 19_2017.jpg 19_aftermarket.jpeg 20_aftermarket.jpeg

Good problems to have! Congrats on your P85D. Unless your roads are a lot nice than ours, I wouldn't want to have the 21s. I think they're beautiful, but living in a fairly remote area - and often not having a spare in the car, I "need" the practicality of the 19s. I also personally really like the looks of those aftermarket 19's, but again, from a practicality standpoint, I've read that Tesla Service will not remove any aftermarket wheels from the car to do work. This probably wouldn't be an issue - but if it was, it could be a real pain. I own a set of the old style 19's which are mounted with my summer tires and a set of the new 19" slipstreams with my winters. I like them both for different reasons and would consider that totally personal preference on your part.

If you don't care for the 21"s looks, and you know they are much more expensive to upkeep, it sounds like your better options are the 19's. Personally, I'd want brand new tires and those aftermarket ones look sweet! Pretty cool of the dealer to offer these options. I assume this is a third party dealer and not Tesla?

Good problems to have! Congrats on your P85D.
Ty, tyvm :) Super excited.
Unless your roads are a lot nice than ours, I wouldn't want to have the 21s. I think they're beautiful, but living in a fairly remote area - and often not having a spare in the car, I "need" the practicality of the 19s.
Roads are reasonably good where I am, but after winter they can be fairly bad. However, for winter I'll have proper tires on 19's anyway and the pot holes should be fixed by the time I switch over.
I also personally really like the looks of those aftermarket 19's, but again, from a practicality standpoint, I've read that Tesla Service will not remove any aftermarket wheels from the car to do work. This probably wouldn't be an issue - but if it was, it could be a real pain. I own a set of the old style 19's which are mounted with my summer tires and a set of the new 19" slipstreams with my winters. I like them both for different reasons and would consider that totally personal preference on your part.
My preference from a pure visual standpoint is the aftermarket 19's and the original 21's (to me they look the same) followed by the 2017's and finally the 2015 19"ers. But I'm less concerned about my own visual preference and more on practicality and resale impact. Weren't the 21's stupid expensive?

If you don't care for the 21"s looks, and you know they are much more expensive to upkeep, it sounds like your better options are the 19's. Personally, I'd want brand new tires and those aftermarket ones look sweet! Pretty cool of the dealer to offer these options. I assume this is a third party dealer and not Tesla?
Yes, 3rd party. And he's been AWESOME to deal with. Honestly, as long as my car shows up and this wasn't a giant scam, I'm going to go on a mission to make sure everyone in the market knows about these guys because they have treated me like a freakin King!

Keep the 21s and get new non garbage tires. I can't believe why someone would buy a Tesla and put garbage tires on it!
If you're referring to the Nokians... umm... I object :) Those tires are right up there in the "ultra high performance" category. Every tire has pros and cons, and this one's downside (as many performance tires) is wear rating. But performance wise, I'm not sure it gets much better. I don't think the previous owner cheaped out... those were selected, I'm sure.

I want to wait on the dealer info because if this is a scam or there's some significant overselling, bait and switch or anything else untoward... I don't want to have recommended them prematurely. The Internet never forgets :) I'm 99% confident, but there's that damned 1% lol.

As for price, I think it is largely irrelevant since I'm in an entirely different market. As an American, it will likely appear as though I over-paid because 1) the currency difference, 2) the fact that Tesla "overcharges" in Canada (higher price relative to the exchange rate) and 3) the general lack of supply vs. demand in the used market (you guys have hundreds of options, we have tens). But for what it is worth... I'll PM you the answer (for whatever reason, I don't feel like that's something that should be posted publicly. Although, I have a suspicion I already have somewhere lol)

I'm still certainly open to more feedback... but at the moment, I think I'm leaning toward getting the aftermarket 19's and getting some Nokian WR-G3's, if the dealer can get them. I'm not normally a believer in "all season" tires, but I've been curious about this tire for awhile having heard very good things from several people locally, and I've now seen several threads here about these particular tires on the S. This tire is rated for "severe service" and it does have the mountain/snowflake symbol on it - something normally reserved for true winter tires. That symbol is required where I am, by law, for the mountain pass I often take. I *think* that between the stability of the heavy S + AWD + traction control + these tires should be more than sufficient. If I can get away with not swapping tires... well, that'll be a first for me in 20+ years but I'd love to do away with that hassle.

My best friend swears by them. Until this one though, I've never had a car that these came in the right size.