Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Cracked without any prior incident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving at 55mph on highway and our Front wheel cracked all of sudden, and started to wobble. There was no pothole or any obstruction.
Did this happen to anyone ?

Thankfully this happened when no kids were around in the car.

Attachments

• IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_4339.jpg
    IMG_4339.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4340.jpg
    IMG_4340.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4348.jpg
    IMG_4348.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 112
didn't notice anything

Lol yea I didn't notice it either when I did it to so maybe it's not that noticable I guess.

Maybe that was it for you maybe it wasn't. It's common to get a rock stuck and ruin your wheels though. Google it there's lots of pics.

I also had a wheel weight ruin a wheel on my truck. Some wheels get so close to the brakes you can't use the glued weights. I bought tires at walmart. They mounted them and ruined the wheel.

Man, i cant imagine this happening to a 100K car . you've got me thinking that i need to change my stock wheels as well toa forged one. well,

The lower the profile, the higher the incidents.

Know plenty of high end car owners with similar problems - friend of mine went thru 2 complete sets of wheels on his Mercedes.

The Tesla 20s are the way to go. Don’t care what they look like - I don’t see them from the driver’s seat.

Was the wheel ever bent or damaged from a pothole? If not, take it to the service center and let them verify it wasn't bent because that crack would likely be a manufacturing defect.
I took it to the service center and they weren't sure why that would occur and mentioned that it could have been a pot hole or hitting a bump at high speed.

I took it to the service center and they weren't sure why that would occur and mentioned that it could have been a pot hole or hitting a bump at high speed.

They're going to deny warranty claims every chance they get. It's unlikely for a wheel to get hit hard enough to crack without bending first. If there's no signs of any other damage it's more likely a manufacturing defect.

Reactions: yogi4 and VikH
They're going to deny warranty claims every chance they get. It's unlikely for a wheel to get hit hard enough to crack without bending first. If there's no signs of any other damage it's more likely a manufacturing defect.
yes , they tend to deny warranty claims or take any responsibility . its disheartening that Tesla didn't even take responsibility to address or look into the issue i'm hard pressed to get answers from them , looks like my insurance provider and the my legal team are trying to get some answers. They tend to have logs of any abrupt bumps or any impact.

That sounds likely. At my family's shop, we always tried to dissuade customers from putting very low profile tires and wheels. And expressly told them one reasonably sized pothole in a parking lot or a small one at speed, and you would be buying a new wheel and tire.

Reactions: yogi4