Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Rim Damage

Anxio

Aug 15, 2019
UK
Wondering if anyone who has had cause to repair their model 3 wheel rim could recommend a product/technique for repair? Something that exactly matches the rim colour. (Mine is quite minor but boy are they easy to damage)
20191013_102110.jpg

Anxio

Aug 15, 2019
UK
Thanks very much for the reply Brian. I shall order and should it ever stop raining I will sand it gently then apply sparingly.

18" aero btw.

vitesse

Apr 2, 2019
Hertfordshire (UK)
No excuse on a 3! :D Diddy cars compared to an S/X

Joking aside, I hate it when that happens! We have 3 unmarked wheels on our S, which is good going for us!

A decent refurb by a home visit mobile service shouldn't cost more than £50.

Anxio

Aug 15, 2019
UK
I might like to try and sort this out myself first. Its probably not as bad as it seems in the photo. Does this site have the facility to private message and I will try pistonsdead direct and ask if he has the correct uk code. Its annoying the stuff originally suggested isn't available in the uk. I can't be the first and definitely won't be the last to do this.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
I might like to try and sort this out myself first. Its probably not as bad as it seems in the photo. Does this site have the facility to private message and I will try pistonsdead direct and ask if he has the correct uk code. Its annoying the stuff originally suggested isn't available in the uk. I can't be the first and definitely won't be the last to do this.
Yes, you can PM. Pistonsdead has changed his name on here. Touch his username, @AlternateFlux and in the little box that pops up, touch Start a Conversation.

It’s the same process when you want to ask me for a referral code for Octopus Energy :D

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc and vitesse

Kenners

Sep 29, 2019
London
The 18" aero wheels are a nightmare in terms of curb clearance. The alloys seem to protrude from the tyre rather than sit behind, as my old audi and bmw did. So I also immediately became a victim of getting to close to the curb. Once have got used to this will get a mobile repair guy to come tidy them up, but expect if I do that now it will happen again! Not sure if the non aero wheels are any better?

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
The 18" aero wheels are a nightmare in terms of curb clearance. The alloys seem to protrude from the tyre rather than sit behind, as my old audi and bmw did. So I also immediately became a victim of getting to close to the curb. Once have got used to this will get a mobile repair guy to come tidy them up, but expect if I do that now it will happen again! Not sure if the non aero wheels are any better?

I certainly know what you mean about the Aero wheels. Loads of people on here seem to have kerbed them, so the design is undoubtedly susceptible.

You might want to buy alloy insurance, for after you’ve sorted that one out. I only paid £129 for three years cover, unlimited claims up to £1000 total, no excess. So about the cost of two repairs.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Hmmm. I hadn't thought about insurance. Anyway I've pm'd alternateflux and we'll see what he says. Thanks.
It’s the first time in 40-odd years of car ownership that I’ve bought alloy insurance. With the design of the wheel I suspect I’ll need it :confused:

Anxio

Aug 15, 2019
UK
Just checked and there are quite a few companies offering this insurance. Can I ask who you went with and why please ?

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK

Anxio

Aug 15, 2019
UK
Much appreciated. I think I might get myself some of that before the premiums sky rocket/they won't insure us when all the model 3 claims start.

Reactions: Roy W.

corja

Aug 15, 2019
Loughborough, UK
Sadly I’m interested in following this thread too. 2 weeks in and one of my wheels is scuffed - scarily I was using Autopilot and it clipped the curb when going around a slight bend - no warning and no time to react. I’m using Autopilot a lot less since that incident!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC