Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel scratch on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, had my model 3 awd delivered today and what a car! The only negative is there is a slight scratch on one of the alloys. It was delivered without the aero covers on, so I presume it could be from them.

It's a lease vehicle so what would be the best approach? Contact Tesla first? The scratch doesn't really bother me but don't want to get billed for it at the end of the lease!

Would Tesla come and fix this, or would it have to go to a service centre?

Many thanks
20230905_152314.jpg

Very odd that it was delivered without aero-covers - I'd be asking why asap! There is every chance you'd be charged for them being absent when returning the lease car.

Are you sure that is damage / scratches - try rubbing it with som IPA. Looks like it may be tape to me?

it would be from the aero covers and if you plan to put them on then all the wheels on every spoke will look like that in 6 months so not much you can do about it. that is just what the covers do. Its a feature. The lease company should either accept it or blame Tesla and try to claim off them there is nothing you can do about it.
if you plan to run without the aeros I am sure you could ask Tesla to fix that one

it would be from the aero covers and if you plan to put them on then all the wheels on every spoke will look like that in 6 months so not much you can do about it. that is just what the covers do. Its a feature. The lease company should either accept it or blame Tesla and try to claim off them there is nothing you can do about it.
if you plan to run without the aeros I am sure you could ask Tesla to fix that one

That's a strange difference. Any marks left by my aero covers are barely noticeable when I take them off (4 years) ... certainly nothing like the picture above where the paint is deeply scored. We live in a countryside area with abrasive mud splatter being the norm so I'm wondering what makes the difference?

That's a strange difference. Any marks left by my aero covers are barely noticeable when I take them off (4 years) ... certainly nothing like the picture above where the paint is deeply scored. We live in a countryside area with abrasive mud splatter being the norm so I'm wondering what makes the difference?
you are right that is more severe than typical but I did have damage in that area from mine and all around the wheel rim after less than 7k miles.
I never took them off again after that!

you are right that is more severe than typical but I did have damage in that area from mine and all around the wheel rim after less than 7k miles.
I never took them off again after that!

Yes, there's abrasion where the edge of the cover meets the lip of the wheel rim. I don't generally remove the covers when washing the car (except at the end of winter) so maybe fewer removals is an advantage for the spoke wear.

Thanks for the replies all. I think it was Tesla through a delivery company. I have raised it through the app. Hopefully they can come to me and fix it, as I don't really want to be without the car I just got!
I'm not aware of Tesla doing rim repair. I say most likely they just bring a new wheel and tire (given your car is brand new, uneven tire wear is not a concern) and swap it out (or they may ask you to bring it in to a service center and do so). The wheel will most likely then be used as a loaner for their roadside assistance.

As others mentioned, most important is to report it in the app immediately as a delivery issue, and take screenshots to document having done so (sometimes service requests can get deleted out). Also take some time to examine the car thoroughly for any other problems and report them ASAP. In the US, generally any problems found within a couple of days and 100 miles of delivery Tesla tends to cover (even when it's not a warranty issue).

Reactions: HJ2023