Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WARNING! Aero covers may damage alloys!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Moderator comment - thread renamed from "WARNING! Aero caps damage alloys!" - caps -> covers

So after 7 months and 7k miles I decided to take off my aero caps to clean and with a view to maybe leaving them off.
I was rather upset when I saw what they have done to my alloys.
The aero caps clip to the spokes of the wheels and the wheel centre and that part of the system seems to work pretty well the problems comes where they touch against the front of the wheel. The wheel has several pads built into it where the wheel is designed to touch the surface but it reality it touches in several other places as well including most of the way around the very edge of the rim. At all of these touch points and around the rim of the cap it has caused significant damage to the wheel surface.
The wheels themselves are undercoated in a very dark grey or black then painted anthracite and lacquered. They are clearly not powder coated which is part of the problem since that is much tougher.
Where the caps have rubbed on the wheel, in some places it is just the lacquer that is scuffed and can easily be touched up but in others the abrasion is all the way through to the undercoat.
It probably doesn't look quite as bad in reality as the attached photos make it look but its not good.
To try to stop further damage I have used a Dremel type tool to grind down the inside edge of the rim of the Aero cap ( which is very sharp BTW) and all of the touch points. Since the touch points are probably needed I have then built them up again with padded tape. I am hoping that this mod will prevent further damage. I mean I could go to Tesla about it but I am sure it would be considered "fleet standard or something"
Anyway I wanted to warn others. If you have Aeros and think you might take them off at any point you might want to do it sooner rather than later while your wheels are still in good condition. You could also try my mod but I can't say yet whether it will actually help at all or have any downside. I have done 1000 miles since the mod and no evidence so far that it has made things worse at least.
20200615_174645.jpg
20200615_174716.jpg
20200615_193412.jpg

20200615_174645.jpg 20200615_174716.jpg 20200615_180332.jpg 20200615_193216.jpg 20200615_193412.jpg 20200615_200606.jpg 20200615_201002.jpg 20200615_214708.jpg 20200615_214717.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Teslike.com

Seems to show in their tables that the difference with the aeros actually narrows at higher speeds

I had seen that table in the past but hadn't looked in detail ... and that is indeed a surprising result. The benefit of the aero covers actually starts to reduce at the higher speeds... for SR+ 11 miles extra range at 60mph 9 miles at 70mph and 7 miles at 80mph compared with no aeros. Mind you every mile is valued in an SR+.

• Informative
Reactions: Tonybvi
Mine came off a week after I got it. I did notice a small amount of scratching where they clip to the spokes but otherwise nothing.
I’ll make certain to inspect and tape the covers before and if they go back on.

About 3 days before the original post of this I ordered my hub cap kit, (then I saw this thread!) didn't go for tesla ones (glad now i didnt) as thought might only be used for couple of months over summer, plus at the moment I'm doing alot less miles so thought i would try, anyway they came through the other day so thought i would wash car today and clean aeros remove and clean alloys below, and after 10k I've got same damage as OP.

Doesn't look as bad from standing height, but very annoying.

I'm also having one of my alloys repaired tuesday, and didn't really want to put aero caps straight on, wanted pai to harden.

But looks like I'll be putting aeros back on sooner than I thought due to the damage

@Jason71 did you try contacting tesla to see if they would do anything?

About 3 days before the original post of this I ordered my hub cap kit, (then I saw this thread!) didn't go for tesla ones (glad now i didnt) as thought might only be used for couple of months over summer, plus at the moment I'm doing alot less miles so thought i would try, anyway they came through the other day so thought i would wash car today and clean aeros remove and clean alloys below, and after 10k I've got same damage as OP.

Doesn't look as bad from standing height, but very annoying.

I'm also having one of my alloys repaired tuesday, and didn't really want to put aero caps straight on, wanted pai to harden.

But looks like I'll be putting aeros back on sooner than I thought due to the damage

@Jason71 did you try contacting tesla to see if they would do anything?
No. I haven't. This is Tesla we are talking about. I have no illusions that they will accept any responsibility. I know I probably should ask but it's clearly not specific to my car it's a design issue so they will be opening a can of hurt for themselves if they do. Kinda suprised it's not come up before though. Surely I'm not the first to notice??

I’m surprised to see so many people removing them. I don’t think they look that bad, maybe it’s just me but every time I see one with the bare alloys they look a little meh but maybe that’s because I’m not in love with the alloy design.

I must admit, I took an aero cap off to have a look, based on this post, and also because I wanted to look at the alloy, to see whether I really liked it.

And, meh. I think I'll just leave them on. The standard alloys aren't all that great to me. The look of the aeros has grown on me since I've had the car.

In terms of why this isn't a common discussion point, I guess a lot of people either remove the caps at delivery, or just leave them on permanently, so probably have damaged wheels and aren't aware. How many people regularly take them off to look?

If there any any straightforward ways to stop the wear occurring, I might be tempted to 'treat' all four wheels now, to keep options for the future, but I'm not sure how effective any long term measures might be - as road dirt/grit etc could still get in there and wear away over time.

Reactions: EVMeister
Moderator comment - 5 posts merged from "How to protect my wheels from Aeros?"

I had Aeros fitted for the winter last year and despite a low number of miles there were a number of patches on the outside rim of the wheel where the Aeros were rubbing/causing damage to the alloy wheel.

I want to put my Aeros back on for the winter for protection and the slightly better range.

I was thinking about a fixing some felt tape or similar to the rim of the wheel.

I am not looking for if you have chosen to leave your off or if when you took your off there was no damage - just if you have successfully protected your rims when the Aeros on and how you did it :)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of helicopter tape/prop tape might provide the protection you're looking for. Don't really need the width of this, but I've seen it sold in narrower widths as door edge protection tape. Essentially it's a very tough, clear, polyurethane tape, that provides excellent abrasion resistance (I used to use it on the leading edge of the propeller blades on my aeroplane). It can be removed, leaving little or no adhesive residue, and what if anything is left behind it will wipe of with a bit of isopropanol and a soft cloth.

Reactions: OneTinyFish
I like the look of your potential solution. Logically it makes complete sense. I’m Interested to hear of any success you may have had?
I'll take one off and have a look. Might be hard to tell since was already damaged. The grinding the sharp edge off the aero rim must have helped so that one is a no brainer I think. Putting the tape on the wheel not the aero would probably be better but then you have tape on your wheel

Reactions: m3p_uk