Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel/Tire/Springs swap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I just purchased a used 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance. It won't arrive for another week or so, but I've been doing an insane amount of reading and watching videos about it.

I've already purchased a few "modifications" but small things like Tasmanian floor mats, cup holder inserts, screen protector, console organizer, etc. However, I've seen a common theme of a "stiff ride" and my concern is the 20" wheels, thin sidewall, and ride quality.

What are my best options considering the following: I'd like it lowered a little (not extreme), I'd like to improve ride quality, I'd like to maintain as much range as possible, I'd like to have normal tire wear.

I say all of these things because I don't want to spend $3k on coil overs only to need to spend another $2k on control arms and camber arms. I also don't want to lower it so much that I need new tires every 10k miles because of negative camber. And I don't want to reduce my range by 10%. Is there an optimal setup that gets me the best of all the above?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. That's the weakness of forums: once they have so much information it's hard to track it down even with search function (or it would take weeks of sifting through threads).

If you are getting a 2021, it has much improved internal damping on the shocks so you are good as far as ride quality goes. The stiff rides are from the 2020 and older cars.

You must keep the lowering to a minimum if you don't want to correct the negative camber with camber arms. I have coilover but have tried a few different heights to observe camber. The front can tolerate around 1" of lowering and the camber won't be so out of wack that you need the very expensive adjustable upper arms. However, the rear is already at around -1.8 with very little adjustment. At 1" lowering you will need camber links for sure. You need to keep it at around 1/2" or 3/4" max.

With lowering you should pick up some range.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
I agree that 2021 M3P ride quality is fine once you downsize the wheels to get some useful tire sidewall. Not the smoothest car out there by any means but riding on 245/45R18 my 2021 M3P is just fine.

I am installing coilovers soon, but my aim is better handling. I am expecting some ride quality improvement from the Öhlins DFV too but that's just a side bonus. I will be keeping exactly stock height to maintain ground clearance and avoid aftermarket control arms, which I don't otherwise need because I'm not tracking this car.

The ground clearance and suspension travel is already barely passable stock for the roads and non-roads I drive on. I'm hoping better performing dampers+springs will help it bottom out less.

Upvote 0
I agree that 2021 M3P ride quality is fine once you downsize the wheels to get some useful tire sidewall. Not the smoothest car out there by any means but riding on 245/45R18 my 2021 M3P is just fine.

I am installing coilovers soon, but my aim is better handling. I am expecting some ride quality improvement from the Öhlins DFV too but that's just a side bonus. I will be keeping exactly stock height to maintain ground clearance and avoid aftermarket control arms, which I don't otherwise need because I'm not tracking this car.

The ground clearance and suspension travel is already barely passable stock for the roads and non-roads I drive on. I'm hoping better performing dampers+springs will help it bottom out less.
More spring and rebound damping makes a world of difference.

The true Ohlins R&T product should have plenty of travel and be able to run at stock height. Those should be landing in the USA soon.

Upvote 0