Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Well Soundproofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed these? If so, are they effective? Appears to be a valid solution for road noise.
https://www.amazon.com/Customized-T...+3+cotton+mat&qid=1565036878&s=gateway&sr=8-7
I just happened to be going thru my Tesla folder on my computer, and I realized I had screenshotted this product on eBay, last month, and it was only $82, shipped. I just looked, and it's now up to $104, so it seems all the vendors have upped the price by at least $20 in the last month. Must be some demand for it to be going up in price.

I just happened to be going thru my Tesla folder on my computer, and I realized I had screenshotted this product on eBay, last month, and it was only $82, shipped. I just looked, and it's now up to $104, so it seems all the vendors have upped the price by at least $20 in the last month. Must be some demand for it to be going up in price.

Probably new tariffs going into effect.

Reactions: mrau and KenC
Some sellers on eBay (China) price it at $80 still. Most likely same item as Amazon, just takes 2 weeks to ship.

Not sure if they replace the plastic front liners, or if they go on behind them. Hopefully someone who took the plunge will report back.

1 Pair Front Wheel Arch Soundproof Cotton For Tesla Model 3 17-19 Protective Pad | eBay

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 9.40.18 AM.jpg

Reactions: KenC
Some sellers on eBay (China) price it at $80 still. Most likely same item as Amazon, just takes 2 weeks to ship.

Not sure if they replace the plastic front liners, or if they go on behind them. Hopefully someone who took the plunge will report back.

1 Pair Front Wheel Arch Soundproof Cotton For Tesla Model 3 17-19 Protective Pad | eBay

View attachment 438803

Can it really be cotton? Doesn't seem like it would hold up to the elements, hopefully it is something actually synthetic. And the 4th picture shows it on top of the plastic fender liner.

Has anyone installed these? If so, are they effective? Appears to be a valid solution for road noise.
https://www.amazon.com/Customized-T...+3+cotton+mat&qid=1565036878&s=gateway&sr=8-7
I contacted Dynamat about sound deadening of Model 3. They said they have not done specific testing on this vehicle but that sound deadening for road noise needs to be extensive because road noise is low frequencies and they are hard to eliminate. They said wheel well Dynamat Xtreme helps with some vehicles particularly corvettes.

Reactions: KenC and misujerr
That's what I keep noticing too. Look at Byorn's video... he has a bunch of soundproofing done and indeed it only seems to remove some of the high frequency noise.

For low freq road noise, transmitted through the very stiff chassis, most likely some more heavy weight sounds insulation is needed where there is room.

If/when I do decide to get a Model 3, I'm going to consider this too. I see no downside of adding a good few tens of kilos to the car, won't affect range by much.

• Disagree
Reactions: srkerd
I filled mine up with dynamat. It worked pretty well. I tried to get some thinsulate up in there and gave up. The area that I could fit the thinsulate into was just too small to do any good. The plastic wheel well cover is pretty much up against the metal too much.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Sound deadeing Tesla wheel wells

LOL....This guy.

Meh, taking windshield wiper blades off is too hard, i'm not gonna do it. Meh, taking both wheels off is too much work (A whole 14 fasteners that take about two seconds each), i'm not gonna do it....lol....Then taking lugs off with a torque wrench, thats the best part. Ripping the hard plastic liner out and keeping pulling....hey it might have another fastener....Then just scrape it all over your fender well paint....That video was awesome.