Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels on Model 3 Perf without upgrade package

What to do with Model 3 Perf Wheels

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you care about aesthetics, get lightweight 19” wheels (<21 lbs) with high-performance summer tires (e.g., Michelin Pilot Sport 4S). This upgrade will cost about $3500 total and give you better performance than the Tesla performance upgrade package. See this thread.

If you don’t care about aesthetics, get some Pilot Sport 4S summer tires for your 18” aeros. This upgrade will cost $800-1000 installed.

Note these summer tires are only usable in temperatures of 40 degrees and up.

Last edited:
I am in a similar boat - only option I didn't get was the 5k performance + wheel upgrade.

My plan is to use the Aero wheels until the Titan7s I ordered in the group buy are delivered, then use the Aeros as a wet weather/winter wheel only (likely w/no cover + the wheel cap kit) and the Titan7 with Pirelli P4s or Pilots from ~ May to September.

I am in the PNW so the stock tires will work for most wet weather scenarios, but I plan on picking up a set of Conti DWS for the harsher months that we get occasional snow and freezing (Dec/Feb). The weight of the stock Aeros is what pushed me towards this route since they're so light (as are the Titan7s).

I plan to request 19” wheels at delivery for my P3D-

Cost will be the same as what non P upgrade wheels would be. $1500.

You should have had that option in your poll.

That way you get credit for your Aeros.

Depending on color Aeros might look fine.

The aero wheel without the aero caps are light IMO at 21.6 lbs. You will have to spend at least 2k + on wheels plus the cost of tires to get a set that is better than the stock wheels.

With the 19" Titan-7 wheels you might save 1lb per wheel. I am planning on sticking with 18" wheels for my performance model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning to 19" TST. Like these:
19-tst-grey-jpg.322451

Doing the math:
Cost of new tires: $800 on tirerack
Cost of wheels + shipping: $1660
Money I will get for selling stock tesla wheels + tires: ~1150 after ebay fees/shipping (proof)
Final cost: $1310

Seems better like a good deal. Am I missing anything?

Doing the math:
Money I will get for selling stock tesla wheels + tires: ~1150 after ebay fees/shipping (proof)

Yes. The Tesla 18” wheels are 21.6lbs (without aero covers) and the Tesla 19” wheels are 25lbs. From what I recall, the TST 19” wheels are 29-30 lbs. Although the TST wheels look great, they will reduce performance, not increase performance (assuming comparable tires). You achieve optimal performance on a Tesla with light wheels and high performance tires like the Michelin PS4S.

The highest performance 19” wheels are around 15lbs (carbon fiber).

Last edited:
Yes. The Tesla 18” wheels are 21.6lbs and the Tesla 19” wheels are 25lbs. From what I recall, those TST 19” wheels are 29-30 lbs. Although the TST wheels look great, they will reduce performance, not increase performance (assuming comparable tires). You achieve optimal performance on a Tesla with light wheels and high performance tires like the Michelin PS4S.

The highest performance 19” wheels are around 15lbs (carbon fiber).

Thanks for the info. Back to the drawing board.

Be aware, before changing out wheels, that factory wheel crash charateristics play a major roll in crash protection. They will deform in a certain way to augment the crush zone to protect the occupants from injury.

Aftermarket wheels will absorb impacts differently from the stock wheels.

19-tst-grey-jpg.322451

Doing the math:

Nope. 1-4lbs isn't going to kill range. Owners need to also consider rolling resistance / contact patch with the road. Wider tire, more contact.
For a daily driver < 150 miles, most won't notice a difference.

I will be receiving a model 3 perf in the next few weeks. I did not pay for the 5k performance upgrade package, leaving just 18" aero wheels.

Looking for advice regarding wheels. Should I upgrade my wheels to aftermarket wheels? Or leave them as is.
I'm planning on keeping the 18s and just remove the aero covers. low profile tires not good in NJ, too many potholes. I already had 4 blowouts on my 07 335xi.

I don’t believe it will cost only $1500 as I’m told they won’t buy your 18s back. Have you heard differently?

I was told otherwise by the Tesla Store OA and I specifically asked that. It wouldn’t surprise me if they just told me what I wanted to hear. Seems to happen a lot. I’m sure they would be happy to sell a set of wheels. I’ll decide what todo when time gets close. I want Aeros for Winter anyway. So I might end up with tires I don’t want or need.

Anyone know what they would charge if no credit on Areo wheels?

As a wheel noob I have become overloaded with information O_O.

I have some questions
  1. If I went staggered on 19" aftermarket, outside of aesthetics will there be any difference in performance/comfort?
  2. Will a staggered setup lead to long term more headache when it comes to rotations and tire swapping and cost?
  3. 18 inch aeros are 21.6 lbs. TST 19 inch are 29 lbs. The Tesla 20" are supposedly 30-32lbs. Does this really matter? Will i see a performance impact? In other words, on a track would the 18" really beat the 20" because its lighter?

I have some questions
  1. If I went staggered on 19" aftermarket, outside of aesthetics will there be any difference in performance/comfort?
  2. Will a staggered setup lead to long term more headache when it comes to rotations and tire swapping and cost?
  3. 18 inch aeros are 21.6 lbs. TST 19 inch are 29 lbs. The Tesla 20" are supposedly 30-32lbs. Does this really matter? Will i see a performance impact? In other words, on a track would the 18" really beat the 20" because its lighter?

1. A staggered setup would have more contact at the rear and be heavier. The increased resistance would likely lead to some decrease in range. The greater contact area might also lead to you "feeling" more of the road and might be less comfortable. The more contact area will increase grip and may increase acceleration. At limit handling may get better but the type of tire is probably more important.

2. With a staggered setup, you cannot rotate tires front to rear. This may result in the rear tires wearing down quicker. This shouldn't be a huge issue, but you may end up replacing your rear tires first. Bigger tires are generally more expensive though.

3. Going from 21 to 32 adds about 44 pounds of "unsprung" weight. That is quite a bit when you think about weight reduction for racing settings. You might be able to measure a difference in acceleration or feel some dynamic handling differences. However, like before, moving to a performance summer tire from an all season is probably the bigger difference maker here.

I'm on the fence myself.

@slizzap
Buy the Forged Titan Wheels for
$2000......Best Bang for your Buck!!!

If you care about aesthetics, get lightweight 19” wheels (<21 lbs) with high-performance summer tires (e.g., Michelin Pilot Sport 4S). This upgrade will cost about $3500 total

19” wheels are a great compromise between stock 18” and more expensive 20”

My plan is to use the Aero wheels until the Titan7s I ordered in the group buy are delivered, then use the Aeros as a wet weather/winter wheel only (likely w/no cover + the wheel cap kit) and the Titan7 with Pirelli P4s or Pilots from ~ May to September.

Absolutely best deal

19-tst-grey-jpg.322451

Doing the math:

For $340 extra, the Titan GB gives
you 20 lb forged wheels (19” size)

I have some questions...
  1. 18 inch aeros are 21.6 lbs. TST 19 inch are 29 lbs. The Tesla 20" are supposedly 30-32lbs. Does this really matter? Will i see a performance impact? In other words, on a track would the 18" really beat the 20" because its lighter?

I recall a video where the performance was pretty negligible for street use (think less than a second on per lap). The thing I would care more about is range impact on light wheels vs heavier ones