Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are VINs finalized?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 85D was in production for 5 weeks. The explanation was the there was a paint problem, MC Red, and that after several corrective attempt Tesla opted to simply build a new car. I've seem at least one other similar situation on the forum. A day after getting the news from my DS I reached out tho him for an updated VIN for insurance purposes. I've been told that a new VIN is not necessary as the VIN does not activate until the car finishes production and that my original VIN has been assigned to my new car. All my previous cars have been ICE and I know much is different but I assume having the VIN stamped on various components is still a practice. There is usually a metal plate in the lower left corner of the windshield. It is usually on the sticker inside the door where the tire pressure is also listed, and it is often stamped on major components such as the engine block. All this is to say that I would expect it is much easier to assign a new VIN rather than try and keep the original one. Especially if the original car is to be used as a loaner or something similar. This all leads me to question the explanation that my car was delayed due to paint. I'm scheduled to take delivery on 12/30 so I'm very happy for that.