Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When buying your first Tesla, what would you do differently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  1. Is the large windscreen an issue for Australia's summer? And does the aircon keep up with Australia's summer?
  2. How reliable (or not) are you finding your Tesla?
  3. Is it still possible to get free unlimited supercharging?
  4. Is there any point trying to haggle?
  5. If you live outside of the major cities (i live in Canberra), do you find that to be an issue?
I have a Model S but FWIW
1. Nil problems but a sunroof would improve ventilation. I find i need to use AC more without one
2. 100%. Literally. Current one is 13 months, last two (for four years)- only a blocked windscreen washer hose in one.
3. Only when you see it on the website- usually as a ploy to promote sales. Supercharging is less than 1% of all charging.
4. No. When I bought my third they still wouldn't come down in price.
5. N/A
All the best!

1. Get Ceramic Window Tinting which blocks the UV, made a big difference
2. Mixed. It's reliable, it's just not to euro standards of build and quite a few service visits, I guess it's a Model 3 so build speed is a priority over quality.
3. Not sure
4. Yes, I ended up getting free delivery and 3 years servicing (not that servicing is a high cost). The rep told me about corporate sales, who put me in touch with Tesla corporate and found out there is corporate discount.
5. Only for servicing which can't be done via mobile service.

If I was to get one again, i'd get a Model S not a Model 3.

I have a Model S but FWIW
1. Nil problems but a sunroof would improve ventilation. I find i need to use AC more without one
2. 100%. Literally. Current one is 13 months, last two (for four years)- only a blocked windscreen washer hose in one.
3. Only when you see it on the website- usually as a ploy to promote sales. Supercharging is less than 1% of all charging.
4. No. When I bought my third they still wouldn't come down in price.
5. N/A
All the best!

Thanks! Good to hear people with positive message about reliability. I'm hoping with me trying to get the Model X this year mean they've ironed all of the issues.

I'll also keep an eye out to see if they ever bring free Supercharging back.

1. Get Ceramic Window Tinting which blocks the UV, made a big difference
2. Mixed. It's reliable, it's just not to euro standards of build and quite a few service visits, I guess it's a Model 3 so build speed is a priority over quality.
3. Not sure
4. Yes, I ended up getting free delivery and 3 years servicing (not that servicing is a high cost). The rep told me about corporate sales, who put me in touch with Tesla corporate and found out there is corporate discount.
5. Only for servicing which can't be done via mobile service.

If I was to get one again, i'd get a Model S not a Model 3.

Corporate discount, good to check. I get corporate discount for the German trio, so better check that for Tesla too (or try to add my company to their corporate program!)

4. Yes, I ended up getting free delivery and 3 years servicing (not that servicing is a high cost).
What is this “3 years servicing” that you speak of?

When I picked up my Model 3 in 2019, I was told that bringing it in for service was optional, only to bring it in if something was wrong with it, and the warranty is valid regardless of regular ‘servicing’ or not.

So I took them at their word and have not brought it back, because there is nothing wrong with it.

I bought my Model S six years ago. Love it every time I drive it. Only a few minor issues promptly taken care of by service.

I would echo that to the letter about my inventory S. Only nuisance issues were a failing folding mirror and some factory errors in door interior light wiring. Mobile service fixed both in 15 minutes gratis. I live outside Brisbane but still within range of mobile service.
Car was pricey for me, but worth every cent.

Why? Charging at home is cheap, and with your NRMA discount, so is Chargefox. Free isn’t free. Someone always pays & it’ll cost you somehow.

I prefer to buy from Aussie companies anyway. Superchargers are OK but only if Chargefox is busy or unavailable.

Might turn that around to say that free is cheaper than cheaper, but agree it's not a material thing and home charging is always going to be better.

When buying your first Tesla, what would you do differently?
Actually, one more point to make about this that I think is often forgotten.
What else would I do differently? I would save FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS and get a car that is better built, faster and has much longer range.
The original P85D that I bought was a gem of a car, and I was prepared to pay the price then (2015), because it was SO new and different and unique. Value- for-money is very different now :)

get an M3 ICUDoc?
Actually, maybe I would, because apparently they are more fun to chuck around while being nearby as fast as my Raven?
But no, I was saying that the first Model S I bought was $220K. They have come down in price spectacularly, especially as the AUD has fallen SO far.
If the AUD had been the same, you could buy a Model S Raven for half the price I paid for a P85DL. Unbelievable.

Reactions: 360C and Hovean
I dislike the glass roof. Mine is a 3, so doesn’t have the large windscreen. I had tinted the roof, which probably doesn’t make any significant difference in reducing radiant heat. I also have sunshade in place, I still feel more radiant heat on my head much more than I would in a car with a metal roof. The aircon copes well enough, but I often end up directing the airflow towards the roof.
My car is a year old, the only thing that’s gone wrong is the power seat buttons had fallen off.

Last edited:
Model X is certainly a prime candidate

X owner here, currently in Canberra.
When it is delivered take it straight to a paint protection place and get a full wrap and coating. Wish I had done this.
Regarding heat, I have only used the provided heat shield for the top of the windscreen a couple of times for prolonged parking in hot weather. Usually just turn on the aircon from the app say 10 minutes before returning to the car if it is hot / cold.
Falcon wing doors have not been any trouble and brilliant for those with mobility problems getting in and out. Also great for accessing the beer fridge when touring.
I doubt free supercharging will happen again anytime soon. Not a deal buster though.
Canberra and surrounds are no problem for a Tesla. Also anywhere along the East Coast. Touring out west is getting easier with more chargers going into towns.
Overall have totally enjoyed the ownership experience. If you like we can meet up and you can have a look.

Depends if you got good paint or not before getting it wrapped. People are getting mismatched colour panels in the default white, which probably couldn't be fixed by a detailer. If you do though then yeah, getting the main bits wrapped would be ideal. Also the window tints - makes a huge difference!