Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can I break even?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm able to place my order for my Model 3 any time now.
My question is if I pay $60,500 for my car (35K base, plus 9K for extended range, plus 5K for premium upgrades, plus 1k for paint, plus 5K for autopilot, plus 5.5K taxes) less 7.5K tax credit, for a total of $53,000, how long do you think that I can own it and sell it for the amount that I have into it.
I'm a 1000 mile a month kind of guy and take pretty good care of my cars.
Not wanting to make a profit on the car or the tax credit. Just want to break even.
Not possible? one month? three months, six months?
Curious

Just A WAG, but I'd guess 0-3 months, maybe. Tough to say with any confidence. There's really no precedent for a used car market in which there are hundreds of thousands of people waiting "in line" to buy a new one. Throw in the tax credit and a bunch of uncertainty over production schedules and it complicates things even further.

For reference, the guy that did the Cannonball Run in his Model 3 fetched $57,100. It had 4,547 miles on it. But it was also famous. :D

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2017-Tesla-Model-3-Long-Range-Premium-Upgrade-Package-/292396825634

You do know that cars depreciate? Unless of course you have a “classic” or another very specialized vehicle. Then you can expect the value of the vehicle to go up. Tesla’s are great vehicles but I can’t imagine that the M3 will appreciate in value after purchase. Take a look at the value of used Model S’s. There’s no such thing as “breaking even” when you resell.

Aside from rare collectable vehicles, I think the only time something like this has happened for large numbers of cars was in 2008, when the gas prices spiked and used Priuses were briefly trading for more than their original new price because there weren't enough of them around. Absent a radical event like that, I doubt it'll happen. New cars are one of the worst investments possible - even a Tesla.

Reactions: Zythryn
Let me rephrase OP's question for him:
"How long can I drive a Model 3 for free ? "

Free to OP is ~ $,5000 extra for a used car for the buyer because of sales tax. When the expected wait time is a month or three.

Last edited:
I'm able to place my order for my Model 3 any time now.
My question is if I pay $60,500 for my car (35K base, plus 9K for extended range, plus 5K for premium upgrades, plus 1k for paint, plus 5K for autopilot, plus 5.5K taxes) less 7.5K tax credit, for a total of $53,000, how long do you think that I can own it and sell it for the amount that I have into it.
I'm a 1000 mile a month kind of guy and take pretty good care of my cars.
Not wanting to make a profit on the car or the tax credit. Just want to break even.
Not possible? one month? three months, six months?
Curious
If you buy it soon, you'll cut your sales tax bill by over half since $32K of the price of the car is tax free in WA state.

To be realistic, I don't think that the Model 3 market has stabilized enough to answer your question without pure speculation. My seat of the pants guess is the demand for this car will remain strong and the supply will be limited that you might get free or close to free for 3 to 6 months from today. YMMV.

You could break even on a Model 3 in more than 3 months. Say you wait ~110 years or so, then one of the first Model 3's could very well be a collector's item. Inflation alone should take car of it. Consider the Model T (Ford) - if you had one in pristine condition today, you could definitely sell it for more money that was it's retail price in 1908 which was $835. Just like the Model 3, the first one was premium only, by 1916 the MSRP dropped to $345. Whichever one you bought back then, if you kept is in good condition, you could sell it for more today. :p

When the expected wait time is a month or three.

That may be true if you got your reservation 21 months ago. If not, that's nowhere near true.

Key to this whole proposition is that many people who don't already have a reservation will have to wait until after the tax credit is reduced before they are able to buy a new TM3, so that should increase how much those folks are willing to pay for a slightly-used one.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
That may be true if you got your reservation 21 months ago. If not, that's nowhere near true.

Key to this whole proposition is that many people who don't already have a reservation will have to wait until after the tax credit is reduced before they are able to buy a new TM3, so that should increase how much those folks are willing to pay for a slightly-used one.
The problem I think with that notion is it presumes that people who are inclined to jump at the Model 3 were living under a rock 21 months ago.