Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did Tesla start designing the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone remember reading anything about when the Model S was first starting to be designed? (like a news snippet of Elon Musk [or another] saying something like, "well we started drawing this back in year ####, I'm glad to get to finally show it off!" or anything?)

Tesla started designing the S very early, when they were a very, very small company.

Check out some of the earliest blogs on Tesla's website. Elon discusses the "master plan," and not much later early Model S work was described. There was a press release about Tesla buying high-end CAD software, one of the best available, for the Model S design work. This was a sign they were serious, and were going to use the latest industry tools and methods in design. Later, Tesla announced the had to put Model S design on hold, due to severe financial pressure. They just did not have enough income.

I would guess the start of Model S design was somewhere around 2008.

GSP

March 2009 was the reveal and began reservations. Design obviously began long before then.

Also, remember that fisker "designed" a model s for tesla that was thrown out...

Moreover, Franz started with Tesla in the summer of 2008. He is said to have designed the Model S. I'm sure conceptual things and components were known at that time but yeah...

Does anyone remember reading anything about when the Model S was first starting to be designed? (like a news snippet of Elon Musk [or another] saying something like, "well we started drawing this back in year ####, I'm glad to get to finally show it off!" or anything?)

Franz Von Holtzhausen (a fellow CT Yankee) joined Tesla in 2008 so I recon that is about the time that the initial design began.

Here is a link to one of the earliest articles on the design that I have ever run across.... enjoy --> Tesla Model S Designer Franz von Holzhausen Reveals How Perfectionism Drives Design

I would guess that Henrik worked on Model S in 2007, and Franz took over in 2008.
How much of Henrik's worked was still kept is hard to say. I don't think Franz got to do a "clean slate" type of design, but rather had some starting points from Henrik and "finished the job that was started."

Notice the charging cap...

tesla-model-s_100180614_m.jpg