Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did the P90D start shipping with V3 batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The V3 battery was for Ludicrous optioned cars so the newer ones without ludicrous probably will not have it, NVM the fact that without ludicrous mode v3 doesn't even matter because the max output is restricted at a lower value with insane mode.

Yes but weren't there concerns about battery degradation for V1 and V2 packs apart from performance concerns?

Good point. I am wondering the same thing too. I was under the impression that V1 packs had degradation issues, V1 and V2 were incapable of delivering enough power to meet the specs quoted by Tesla, and V3 had no abnormal degradation or performance issues.

Good point. I am wondering the same thing too. I was under the impression that V1 packs had degradation issues, V1 and V2 were incapable of delivering enough power to meet the specs quoted by Tesla, and V3 had no abnormal degradation or performance issues.

Seems like if you buy a P90D the only battery pack to get is a V3 as otherwise you might as well save $15K and just buy a P85D.

What puzzles me is that I thought if a P90D has AP2, I can automatically assume it has V3 but then someone said that when the P100D came out, the P90D no longer was offered with Ludicrous and that only cars with Ludicrous got the V3 battery.

From what I gather due to degeneration concerns there are benefits to V3 apart from performance considerations. So can someone definitely say if P90Ds with AP2 still shipped with V3 even though by the time that happened the P90D was no longer being offered with Ludicrous due to the availability of the P100D?

Personally from my experience Id stay away from 90 packs ... My P90DL V3 pack went from 275 ish miles at full charge when new, to 263 miles at 21000 miles keep in mind this is also including a new replacement v3 pack somewhere in the middle... I also saw my supercharging speed reduced over the life of the pack.

If you can id suggest the 100 kWH battery as the 100 packs had a great improvement in charging rate at a supercharger likely due to the improved battery pack cooling system!!

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Personally from my experience Id stay away from 90 packs ... My P90DL V3 pack went from 275 ish miles at full charge when new, to 263 miles at 21000 miles keep in mind this is also including a new replacement v3 pack somewhere in the middle... I also saw my supercharging speed reduced over the life of the pack.

If you can id suggest the 100 kWH battery as the 100 packs had a great improvement in charging rate at a supercharger likely due to the improved battery pack cooling system!!

Thanks for the advice! I've been thinking about a P90D with AP2 for our second car and I thought if I found a P90D with AP2 and V3 I would be fine but guess not. P90Ds with AP2 should hit the mid 70s in a month or two and that was going to be our plan.

I guess now we'd have to wait for a P100D with AP2 to hit the mid 70s and that would likely take about a year, as they are around the low 90s now. Seems it is better to wait a year for a P100D with the extra range and fewer battery concerns...

Sorry to hear about all the battery issues you've had with your P90D V3 battery.