Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did the P90D start shipping with V3 batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess Poorly worded question, I assumed V1 or V2,,,, The V3 battery had to be replaced on your car based on profile? Lucky you..

Ahh I understand now yes my car came with the V3 and it was replaced once with another v3 pack... then later I replaced that pack with a 100 pack / upgrade

Will it say v3 on the actual sticker ?
. No it will list the v3 part number which is...
1088792-00-A

Will Tesla tell you which battery presale? Or is it on the screen?

I believe the only way to know for sure is to look at the battery sticker on the passenger side.

I'm trying to find a build date for the inception of the V3 battery being installed at the factory.

This way you can just get them to take a photo of the barcode sticker that shows the build date to have some reasonable idea about the probably of getting a V3 battery.

Have you read about countergate or launchmode restrictions?

Check out this article about it which I disclose some information and data charts showing what had happened
Tesla will remove performance limiting algorithm from cars in next software update

So now that you have read that ...

My battery was replaced because when they restored my cars power via a software update the dash said to service battery and avoid hard acceleration... Tesla kept that first pack likey to investigate if the software restrictions were justified or not.

As for the 100 upgrade, while all the above was going on the p100d was released and Elon said owners of recently produced cars could upgrade to a 100KWH pack making the car a P100D. I sent an email requesting to be added to the waitlist. I don’t think the program is running any more it was only available for a short time to those who expressed interest back in October-December 2016

Mine was built late April 2016 and has V3.
Sorry to say that your wrong, you likely have a V2 battery, this isnt a full list of all the batteries but a small list for example

1063792-00-A: V1

1071394-00-A: V2

1088792-00-A: V3

Now as to why I KNOW you don't have a car produced with a V3 battery @rpo , heres a picture from teslas part manual that I referenced having above, as to why I KNOW when the V3 started to be installed in P90D Ludicrous cars...

As you can see it says "for vehicles built on or after June 1 2016...."

V3 Battery Info.jpeg

Also going back to @PhilDavid question there you go....Proof that cars built June 2016 or later should have v3 packs as long as the car was ordered with Ludicrous...

Last edited:
Sorry to say that your wrong, you likely have a V2 battery, this isnt a full list of all the batteries but a small list for example

Now as to why I KNOW you don't have a car produced with a V3 battery @rpo , heres a picture from teslas part manual that I referenced having above, as to why I KNOW when the V3 started to be installed in P90D Ludicrous cars...

View attachment 360777
Also going back to @PhilDavid question there you go....Proof that cars built June 2016 or later should have v3 packs as long as the car was ordered with Ludicrous...

Thanks! I could not have asked for a more detailed and authoritative response :)

Would you say buying a P90D with a V3 battery is "safe?" I know V1 and V2 are best avoided.

Have you read about countergate or launchmode restrictions?

Check out this article about it which I disclose some information and data charts showing what had happened
Tesla will remove performance limiting algorithm from cars in next software update

So now that you have read that ...

My battery was replaced because when they restored my cars power via a software update the dash said to service battery and avoid hard acceleration... Tesla kept that first pack likey to investigate if the software restrictions were justified or not.

As for the 100 upgrade, while all the above was going on the p100d was released and Elon said owners of recently produced cars could upgrade to a 100KWH pack making the car a P100D. I sent an email requesting to be added to the waitlist. I don’t think the program is running any more it was only available for a short time to those who expressed interest back in October-December 2016

Hailed as a Hero,, now that's a Sig line addition :D

Thanks for all the info and investigative work..

View attachment 360777

I've got battery pack 1071941 which was/is capable of over 500 kW...same as the 1088792 pack. I remember reading on a spreadsheet a year ago or more that that pack was one of two V3s. I cannot find that again, but did find the spreadsheet showing the outputs are nearly the same. I'm not sure if it is V2 or V3 now, and don't know what the difference is between them. My main concern is the performance, and I lucked out with the right pack in that regard.

My build date is 4/12 which appears to be prior to that pack being available (except maybe on the X?). Not sure how that happened, but I got my car in October 2016 with a few hundred miles on it after it was used as a demo. Maybe the pack got replaced prior to my purchase.